*3rd attempt* Critique my mixing, please!

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
2nd and 3rd attempts at the next posts

In the beginning, I had a pitch glitch at UTAU and an annoying metallic breath sample but other than that I think the beginning should have been a bit softer.

I would appreciate more suggestions on this, though :creepygrin:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzl42O7FwOk[/video]

Lightzaver

Teto's Territory
RE: Critique my mixing, please!

It's very good, Miko sounds great!

I agree with that the start should've been a bit softer, but other than that, I think it sounds great.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko

Lightzaver said:
It's very good, Miko sounds great!

I agree with that the start should've been a bit softer, but other than that, I think it sounds great.

Thanks! But after listening to it multiple times, I think I made all of the vocals too loud as well that it overpowers the instrumental :cynical:

Miramiee

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko

Mmm from what I can tell it's pretty good for a first time. Like woah. //likes this cover

I agree with it somewhat overpowering the instrumental but I think more than that--it should blend with it more? There's a bit too much reverb on the main vocals but with the extra parts it gives it a cool effect.
It's a good mix but it should sound a tad...mm....more...i don't know how to say it without getting the wrong word but it should blend better. Rather than a soft mix, try a harder one with a slight muffle? That seems to work with these songs on most utau.
Effects I use which give a harder sound:
Maximus
Soundgoodizer
Parametric EQ 2 (Upper range-ish)

Just be careful not to make it too hard. The way you mixed it was fine but hold off on the reverb. OvO)b

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko

Miramiee said:
Mmm from what I can tell it's pretty good for a first time. Like woah. //likes this cover

I agree with it somewhat overpowering the instrumental but I think more than that--it should blend with it more? There's a bit too much reverb on the main vocals but with the extra parts it gives it a cool effect.
It's a good mix but it should sound a tad...mm....more...i don't know how to say it without getting the wrong word but it should blend better. Rather than a soft mix, try a harder one with a slight muffle? That seems to work with these songs on most utau.
Effects I use which give a harder sound:
Maximus
Soundgoodizer
Parametric EQ 2 (Upper range-ish)

Just be careful not to make it too hard. The way you mixed it was fine but hold off on the reverb. OvO)b

Thanks! A harder mix plus slightly muffled reminds me of kyaami's cover of this song as well but with Ritsu as usual

I'll try experimenting with those effects when I start mixing something :smile:

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko

Second mix I want you guys to critique: [soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/kimchi-tan/jitter-doll-teto-ted-vcv[/soundcloud]

I'm not sure if this should be the final version so I'm asking you guys to critique here :creepygrin:

BTW, is nmasao1's UST for you unaligned? For me it wasn't so I had to manually fix it through Audacity (cause it's easier to time there for me).

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
RE: *Second mix now included* Critique my mixing, please!

I think your major issue is timing - in both of these I can tell there are major timing problems. Too early, too late, just nudge around in Audacity, cut/insert silence if you need to (I think especially on Jitter Doll you need to do that) - don't ever rely on a UST being correct. Make sure to double check everything always.

I'd experiment more with EQ after lowering the vocal volume, you can end up with quieter but crisp vocals if you get a good slope. (And I honestly want Kyaami's slope, it sounds damn good, either that or it's other FL mixing components.)

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
RE: *Second mix now included* Critique my mixing, please!

@Shinami I tried to apply what you just said by matching the vocals with a ripped off acapella and trying to imitate kyaami's style(but I ended up making the vocals loud again OTL)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YdHNMI-qczQ[/video]

I think the problem I have with volume is because even if I have my headphones plugged-in, sound still comes out of the speakers since I plug in my headphones not in the speaker but in the CPU since there's no where to plug head/earphones in the speakers unlike other kinds. It kinda messes up my judgement on the loudness of the vocals over the instrumental. (it doesn't really help that the only available off-vocal still has Len's harmonies...)