Advice on making an English UTAU?

Aali

Ruko's Ruffians
Thanks! I haven't got a clue on how to use the program yet ;^_^ But I was wondering what sounds/words you need to make a English voicebank. Like how you need a e o u i ka ke ko ku ki for Japanese voicebanks.

cubialpha

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Thanks! I haven't got a clue on how to use the program yet ;^_^ But I was wondering what sounds/words you need to make a English voicebank. Like how you need a e o u i ka ke ko ku ki for Japanese voicebanks.

Here are the record lists, or "reclists" for CVVC English.

cz and cdra style reclists: https://sites.google.com/site/cvvcenglishusts/reclists

**It should be noted, the cz-style is being overhauled to a new system that will be publicly released with lists and tutorials soon.

delta style reclists: http://ch.nicovideo.jp/delta_kimigatame/blomaga/ar761052

Reactions: adriann

Pupperoni Pizza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
It's recorded much the same way. You get a list of consonant and vowel combinations. We don't have word recording because it's somewhat inefficient.

if you are going to only try/test english, then use neko english. Once you understand the program, then you should record cdra-style/strung cvvc (or vccv when it's out because it's better)

adriann

Ye Olde Fart
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Thanks, @cubialpha for providing the links! :smile:
@Aali If you have any other questions you'd like to ask about recording, etc. I'd like to make sure you feel free to send me a private message on the forum! I'd love to help in anyway, okay? <3

Last edited:
Reactions: cubialpha

Paradoxelle

Momo's Minion
I believe the Delta list has it's valid perks. Like Cubialpha said, it is very small and manageable, which are things that are very nice and convenient if you're just starting out. The nomenclature and pronunciation is based on IPA symbols I think, and all of the English sounds are in fact included and accounted for. Of course, if you judge a Delta English voicebank by the pronunciation of the voice provider, you're going to get very different results if you judge it based on the Japanese voice providers, because they will of course have an accent. The Delta list is quite fine, in my opinion. Very, very manageable.

CZs cvvc list is much more complex as it is, of course, made with a much more specific kind of accent in mind. It's no big deal, either way, it's still pretty simple to make a voicebank using CZs cvvc list, I would believe, since they released a bunch of tutorial videos you can follow.

You can even try making your own list by taking note of the vowels and consonants you see will cater to your usage of English! Research all the possible clusters and end clusters and gliding vowels, etc. But this may be a little advanced for you, not sure!

Look into your options and see which one best fits what you want to do. :smile: I would recommend starting with Delta's lite list because it's very small and it is possible to conveniently hear how the voice and accent will sound like, and since the notation is somewhat based on the IPA notation, and Delta provides a pronunciation guide too, it's pretty universal, in terms of learning how to pronounce what, and how.

Making an English voicebank is really simple, like any other UTAU voicebank, there's more to what reclist you use, it's also how you use the voicebank. So definitely get acquainted with the program and basic usage, if you haven't already! :smile:

Cz's list is a specific accent, but it could be adapted to a broad transcription like in X-SAMPA or something very easily, and if you just ignore how her pronunciation system is supposed to work and just pronunce how you would in your accent(since she relates each symbol to a sound in a word) and add a few things(If you're in a non cot-caught merged English accent, a(A) and 9(O) aren't gonna cut it- you need Q as well- x-sampa Q not, OI as in boy) and transcriptions of different sounds as they are translated into Vocaloid or basic x-sampa are VERY BROAD- that is whether you speak AmE, CaE, AuE, SAE, NZE, RP or Singaporan English- or any other accent... mouth is maUT in x-sampa... but a narrow transcription would show the differences between each accent, so you could have a multiaccent bank if you know enough about pronunciation- an AmE speaker would actually pronounce it mVUT, not purely maUT, and so would a CaE speaker, but the AmE speaker and CaE speaker are going to place V(x-sampa) in a different place in the mouth, both from each other and from a pure V. This is why English vocaloids/utau sound different with a different accent.

*Actually Q is featured in accents that are both neither caught-cot (A, O) merged nor father-bother (A, Q) merged. Another accent that may only need one 'a' for all words is Canadian English apperently, but most of those accents merge to Q rather than A. (I learned new things gaiz... )

Last edited:

Aali

Ruko's Ruffians
I hope to do a vccv bank soon, but OREMO and SETPARAM will don't work on my laptop, so I'm a bit hesitant.