【AL!CE.16】HG Critique Request

Discussion in 'Requested VB Critiques' started by Kitcat190, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Kitcat190

Kitcat190 Defoko's Slaves Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Oh hai ' u ' So I decided to do this finally!~ And since I am actually still working on the bank, I'd still like feedback but only on the pitches I'm keeping. Which include the CORE and CORONA, so unfortunately PARALLAX will not be included to be critiqued at this time ; u ;

NOW ACCEPTING ENGLISH CRITIQUE~

So far I would like critique on, Voice, Design, and Upcoming Banks

You don't have to follow the layout given, though it's encouraged ; u ; Please roast me

If you'd like to download her bank please visit this site
    HERE

VOICE

Voice Critique
    1. What do you like about the bank? What do you dislike?
    2. Is the clarity and quality of the bank decent? Please explain.
    3. What do you feel like this voice bank would be most used in genre wise?
    4. What are your pet peeves about this bank? Ex. Accent, Nasal tone
    5. What do you feel like this bank needs?
    6. Your own input, personal opinion ect.
    English Critique
    2. Is the clarity and quality of the bank decent? Please explain.
    3. What do you feel like this voice bank would be most used in genre wise?
    4. What are your pet peeves about this bank? Ex. Accent, Nasal tone
    5. What is your opinion on the pronunciation of the bank
    6. Do you feel this bank needs more pitches? Or needs more tone variety?
    7. Your own input, personal opinion ect.

Design and Future Banks

[​IMG]

Planned future banks and add ons include:
    • Updated Parallax
    • Soft/Dark/Natural bank ft. Falsetto
    • Rage Add on
    • Vocal fry
    • Updated English bank Finished
    • Possible Spanish, German and Korean Banks
    Design and Future Banks Critique:
    1. Do you like and dislike in the design represented, and do you feel it represents the creator, since this utau is meant to represent her?
    2. Is there anything you'd want changed?
    3. Would you be for, or against alternate designs?
    4. What is your opinion on the future banks planned, do you feel they will be useful?
    5. Is there any banks you'd like to hear in the future?

~Extra Comments overall?

So yeah ; u ; Thank you for reading and possibly critiquing! Plez roast me

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  3. Florawolf-kun

Florawolf-kun Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    I enjoy Alice, but her voice lacks expression. Adding More diverse tones would help alot and she would benefit heavily from vocal fry. She has a habit of sounding a bit flat/generic at times. Maybe you could even make additional banks accessable from her main like teto? If she was my utua, I wouldnt spend my time working on her range (unless you felt the need to add a falsetto or a more basey low note).

As for bank recomendations, I would prioritize both a sharp and soft sounding bank along with possibly a belt.

Design wise, Ive always found Alice to be a bit plain. Something a bit more detailed would be nice.

Kitcat190 likes this.
  4. HoneyPai

HoneyPai Defoko's Slaves Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I really like AL!CE's voice, it's clear and it's just a tone that hits the ear right in my opinion, but as I just told you, I don't like the start breaths in some cases, sometimes it makes her sound like a steam pipe leaking. The quality is fine to me, pretty HQ I must say.
    The bank could probably fit most genre types except for hardcore soft songs. The only problem I have with the bank is that core and corona sound exactly the same, the range probably differs, but I've only heard you use them in the same range.
    I think the bank only needs option/aliases for automatic start breaths and just abrupt/normal start to beginning sounds.

Design wise, I can't picture her with a different design, I think she is perfectly fine the way she is
    For future vbs, I support the choices, but I hope parallax and the soft VB will not sound the same.
    No banks in particular that'd I'd like to see, I like surprises

I feel dead on the inside now

GothAmaterasu and Kitcat190 like this.
  5. Myth

Myth Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    Voice Critique:

1a. The bank is quite clear, and the notes are very straight, something that I often don't see in voicebanks, making it particularly easy to tune in terms of pitch manipulation.
    1b. The voice is a little flat, so it's somewhat difficult to make her sound expressive when it's needed. She also has some very strange pronunciation quirks, like sometimes when she says "る", it sounds more like "lyu". Vowel transitions could also use some work, like in "a え" for example in her mid-range, it's difficult to tell that the vowel sound change, so it could use a bit more distinction.

2. Most definitely, background noise is almost non-existent from my observation. However, her pronunciation could use some work, a most of her "t" samples sound extremely close to the "d" samples, making them difficult to differentiate. This on top of some of her strange pronunciation can make her a tad difficult to understand - the actual quality of the voicebank samples is quite good however.

3. I mentioned the voice was flat, which is perhaps more of a personal nitpick than an actual criticism, as this can be useful for some genres of music. I feel as though she would be most suited to light pop as a result, seeing as she keeps a strong consistent tone throughout most of her voicebank; her voice type and extremely straight notes also support this notion.

4. Like I mentioned before, a lot of her pronunciation sounds really strange, I mentioned "t"'s and "d"'s. Her "r"'s are just strange in general, specifically her "り"'s, mostly because in the Japanese language, because consonants are palatalized when paired with the letter "i", you're almost never going to hear "り" pronounced with an English "l" sound, which is the case in her voicebank, so it sounds a little strange. She has a couple of bad aliases as well, such as "てぃ" being pronounced like "ち" and "とぅ" being pronounced like "つ" - bluntly put, don't do that. She also has some...really subtle timing and phrasing issues, which I can assume is a result of the inconsistent tempo of the recordings, and how extremely long some samples are compared to others.

5. Perhaps more expressive tones, or maybe more options of different tones, and some fixing on aliases and pronunciation.

Design Critique:

1. It's very simple, which isn't a bad thing in the least, but it's not my taste personally - that's not to say I dislike it, rather, I'm more or less indifferent to it ( I've always wondered about the Santa hat though ). I do think it represents her creator well though, it definitely bears a strong likeness to her real life appearance.

2. Not particularly, I would love to see perhaps an alternate design that incorporates more technology-based, I'm biased though in that regard though, I'm a sucker for those sorts of designs.

3. Absolutely for.

4. Soft, Dark, and Natural seem pretty standard, Falsetto however, I would be very interested in seeing. I have a thing for female Falsetto voicebanks, I think male Falsetto is interesting to work with, but feminine Falsetto voices are often very pretty, at least in my opinion, and there aren't that many, so that definitely peeks my interest. I'm also a sucker for English and Spanish voicebanks, so I'm certainly looking forward to those.

HoneyPai and Kitcat190 like this.
  6. Kitcat190

Kitcat190 Defoko's Slaves Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Main post has been updated with the English VCCV critique available! Thank you to those who have commented to me on here and in private ; 7 ; ~<3

HoneyPai likes this.
  7. HoneyPai

HoneyPai Defoko's Slaves Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    English critique, I'm sorry bby, no mercy
    I really like the tone, it's very natural sounding I think, I really like the way E4 and A3 flow togther, I like the nasal, it's present but not over powering like in your face nasal. What I dislike, the oto, as you know, you gave me the updated oto, the fixed oto is a step up from the original one provided, but it is still quite poor, she stutters on sounds on transitions such as "E l" "lx" in Hold Fire when she is meant to be saying " feel alive" she says " feel ll alive"
    As well in the beginning when she is supposed to be saying "I don't know how to begin" she says "I don nono how to begin"
    There are also end sounds that are meant to be heard, but are not such as "@ tts" she only says "@ s" so when she says "thats" she says "thas"
    Moving back to the stuttering, she actually does this very frequently.
    There are some points where the old oto was better, but not overall.

1. Is the clarity and quality of the bank decent? Please explain.
    I really like the quality, very HQ, though she does have one sound that I have encountered where she has this strange growl/engine noise, but aside from the one sound I have heard, I think the quality is perfect
    1. What do you feel like this voice bank would be most used in genre wise?
    Due to the 2 very different pitches, I think she could handle most genres except for Jazz
    1. What are your pet peeves about this bank? Ex. Accent, Nasal tone
    The only pet peeves I have are about the oto
    1. What is your opinion on the pronunciation of the bank
    I think the pronunciation is fine, it's really hard to judge with English though due to different accents, and everyone mainly pronounces the 6 and x sounds differently but one of the two still sounds like it would in any other bank, just the sound pronunciation get switched around, so as long as people change the sounds, there isn't much of a problem with her pronunciation EXCEPT for -0_k0 (those are zeros)
    The issue being, you pronounced it as "0r_k0r" when I believe it is just meant to be a wider sounding(?) O sound
    It's not much of an issue in "-0" since the or sound gets cut off anyway, but it is an issue if you want an end sound for "0-" because you get "or-" instead of "0h" (think of the way mat says o)
    1. Do you feel this bank needs more pitches? Or needs more tone variety?
    I honestly think she is fine as a bipitch, but I think a falsetto like pitch would be very nice
    1. Your own input, personal opinion ect.
    In my opinion, some of the cut offs in her oto occur too late and cause it to loop and sound very stange

Kitcat190 likes this.