Append Name Ideas

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Hi guys! So...this forum has been kinda up and down since it's inception...so I wondered: These days, 2017, do people prefer uniqueness when it comes to Appends, or do they like it more straightforward? Now I wanted to know, what would your Append name be?

Mine will be called Hirogaru, which means Expand, while the appends themself however will have the straightforward names:
Dark
Warm
Soft
Power
Shout/Kire (The Kire here is used as the alternate name for the suffixes, due to S already belonging to Soft, so to use Shout it would look like a K ri K etc.)

What would your names be? Or if it"d be Powerscale, what would that be called? Would you stick to Kire, or also go unique?

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'd go with something a little more unique, since I find it more interesting and fun that way :smile: For something like power I'd go with "strike" or "bang" or "lightning/thunder" etc, for sweet/cute i might go with "fluffy", "dream" etc and so on and so forth, but as to not confuse people I"d maybe put the append type next to the name I came up with, like power next to strike, or soft/whisper next to fluffy, that sort of thing.

Reactions: Piia

Sors

Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I'd go with something a little more unique, since I find it more interesting and fun that way :smile: For something like power I'd go with "strike" or "bang" or "lightning/thunder" etc, for sweet/cute i might go with "fluffy", "dream" etc and so on and so forth, but as to not confuse people I"d maybe put the append type next to the name I came up with, like power next to strike, or soft/whisper next to fluffy, that sort of thing.

That's indeed unique :D at least it's not something like "speed" or "bunny" or animal names in general...

the-neo-romantic

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I personally prefer the traditional append names, because they are easy to recognize and to guess how they are going to sound. (for example append whisper is - no doubts -gonna be whispery) But I do think that non-standard names are fine too - they can be based on the UTAU's interests or themes. (like naming the appends after flowers, gemstones, whatever else)
Use synonyms or words that probably would give everyone the same feel as the base word would - just don't go for something too unrecognizable. ( append whisper could be called soft/dreamy/fluffy/lullaby, but using any complicated highly metaphorical word for whisper is just... not for me at least)

Sors

Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Yeah, I feel you...that's why - as you can see above - I stick to straightforward. However I chose Hirogaru (Expand) for two reasons: As the appends are recorded at different pitches, it expands the Vocal range, and well becasue they're appends, the voice gets expanded.

Reactions: Arissa

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Ah, it reminds me of Gahata Meiji's append themes. It's really cool what with how the names go; fantasy, hunter, lillith, fairy, etc. These voicebanks are sort of like sweet, power, feminine, and soft,

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
It depends for me. On one hand, if no other utau has that append name it makes it unique and easier to lookup if someone forgot your utau's name but remembered the append name. On the other hand, it can be confusing on what kind of voice the listener will be expecting and might turn them off (or on in a "what kind of voice will this be?" sense).

Traditional names like what @the-neo-romantic said gives the listener an idea on what to expect and easier to remember the voicebank (since we see "power", "whisper", etc all the time) but doesn't have much uniqueness.

Reactions: Nohkara
T

TorielMalfoyOfficial

I prefer naming them after your UTAU's interests. For example, Fuyu might have Starbucks themed names because of her item. I might not put the word Append tho.

Starbucks (for my utau)
Soft Append = Latte APPEND
Dark Append = Venti Cold APPEND
Warm Append = Venti Hot APPEND
Power Append = Grande APPEND
Shout/Kire Append = Trenta APPEND

Ice Cream
Soft/Whisper = Vanilla
Dark Append = Chocolate
Warm Append = Sundae
Power Append = Fudge

Sors

Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I wouldn't do that. It's confusing. I once thought maybe fire related names; due to Sora's hair. I thought something like:
Dark - Blaze
Soft - Flame
Warm - Heat
Power - Fire
Kire/Shout - Inferno

But then I thought I keep it straightforward...

UTAU QUEEN

Momo's Minion
For my UTAUs, I prefer going by a theme associated with them.

Fuyu's Appends // Starbucks (Stolen from @TorielMalfoyOfficial aka my 2nd account)
Soft Append = Latte
Dark Append = Venti Cold
Warm Append = Venti Hot
Power Append = Grande
Shout/Kire Append = Trenta

Kireina's Appends // Fox
Soft Append = Kitsune
Dark Append = Sly
Warm Append = Foxy
Power Append = Lupin
Shout Append = Vulpes

Sume's Appends // Military/Battle
Soft Append = Battle Cry
Dark Append = Hunter
Warm Append = Admiral
Power Append = Soldier
Shout Append = General

Aoi's Appends // Goth/Punk Rebel
Soft Append = Evanescent
Dark Append = Shadow
Warm Append = Grunge
Power Append = Rebelle

Aura Autumnus

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Mine go by the status of the soul, on extreme emotions, and even the original vb is a compound.

Normal vb > Violet Aura or Aura (think of chakra)
Falsetto append > Delirium Aura or DELIRIVM
Power append > Glorious Aura or Gloria (=Gloriosa)
Whispery/Soft append > R.E.M. Aura or REM
Dark append > Silent & Caged Aura or Tacita

By tripitching Tacita, Violet and Gloria you get the Euphoria Scale.

Is it self-explanatory? xD Appends need to be related in a smart way or else they seem to appear out of the blue.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Since everyone's telling theirs, I'll tell mine too:

My utau is a himedere, so the names rotate around that trait
  • Sarcastic - vivid/solid vb with a soft sassy pitch - named it this because of how a himedere's tone sounds sarcastic
  • Earnest - weak vb - named this because of the dere in himedere
  • Flaunt - bold/kire vb - has a strong and sassy tone like she's bragging
  • Sincere - sweet vb - dere again
  • Dethroned - harsh/tomboyish vb - smth like a himedere turned yangire idk
  • Dew - shoujo vb - unrelated to a himedere but based of her surname, Mitsuoto. Mitsu means honeydew/honey

Reactions: Sors and Arissa

Soursop the fruit

✧ Fruity & Happy ✧
Defender of Defoko
I name appends by words related to their clothes design, like
Normal - True
Power (for powerful/fast songs) - Delinquent
Power (screamos) - Wild class
Soft - School
Whisper - Postgirl

Sadly i can't post pictures of design as examples...I'm sorry

mallowkey

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'm gonna eventually do this, but I plan on doing it around time-ish? or passages of time

Past - Soft
Present - (not sure yet, since her ACT 3 VB already sounds vivid/sweet)
Future - Power
Bad End - Dark/Serious

Reactions: the-neo-romantic

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
It depends for me. On one hand, if no other utau has that append name it makes it unique and easier to lookup if someone forgot your utau's name but remembered the append name. On the other hand, it can be confusing on what kind of voice the listener will be expecting and might turn them off (or on in a "what kind of voice will this be?" sense).

Traditional names like what @the-neo-romantic said gives the listener an idea on what to expect and easier to remember the voicebank (since we see "power", "whisper", etc all the time) but doesn't have much uniqueness.
In the case that someone might get confused, I'd put the standard append name in parentheses next to the name I thought up to clear any of that. For example; Strike(Power) append or something like that.