• Old (Anime)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • New (Studio Killers-esque)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Madam Meisaki

Certified Nohrian Scum
Defender of Defoko
I recently have been trying to change up my art style, but surprisingly, I got a ton of negative feedback...
So I'd like to ask the artists of Utaforum what they think.
OLD STYLE (anime)

0af6ff79a73101e520dc6298b6697f57-da6gfrv.png

NEW STYLE (Studio Killers-esque, I've only done two drawings with it)
_lianna___more_style_practice__by_musicalmissmarie-dac0mk4.png

Please tell me what you think. What style should I keep? My new one is more comfortable, but people like my old one better...
Keep in mind that I only use a mouse, please.

Reactions: RaccoonButler

SOHBlue

Master of Doom
Defender of Defoko
I say do what you like and what feels best. It's your art style. If you like this change, keep it. If not, change it. Art is about self expression, no? At any rate, I don't mind either. To save your hand though, I'd say go with the one that feels less crampy. Best of luck! ^_^/

Reactions: Madam Meisaki

Madam Meisaki

Certified Nohrian Scum
Defender of Defoko
I say do what you like and what feels best. It's your art style. If you like this change, keep it. If not, change it. Art is about self expression, no? At any rate, I don't mind either. To save your hand though, I'd say go with the one that feels less crampy. Best of luck! ^_^/
Thanks SOH ;u; the new art style is more comfy on my hands, but my friends all keep saying it looks bad, so Im in a dilemma... ;n;

Reactions: SOHBlue

SOHBlue

Master of Doom
Defender of Defoko
Thanks SOH ;u; the new art style is more comfy on my hands, but my friends all keep saying it looks bad, so Im in a dilemma... ;n;
I don't think it looks bad. For me, mine just clicked. I saw and accepted how it looked immediately and felt I liked it, even if others preferred it more exaggerated. If you feel you like it and don't need or want to change it, then don't. It's unique to you, your art style I mean, and it will grow and change with yourself as an artist. Trust yourself.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The lines for the face look cleaner in the first pic, but the line-less second pic doesn't have the overly thick Butch Hartman lines on the outside (think Fairly Oddparents, the original PowerPuff Girls, or Dexter's Laboratory) - which imo doesn't look good on anime style art unless carefully done (like the cel-shade Zelda games Wind Waker, etc.).

Perhaps you can try to do a mix of both? Keep the clean thin lines for detail and the line-less for general color, body, etc.?

Madam Meisaki

Certified Nohrian Scum
Defender of Defoko
The lines for the face look cleaner in the first pic, but the line-less second pic doesn't have the overly thick Butch Hartman lines on the outside (think Fairly Oddparents, the original PowerPuff Girls, or Dexter's Laboratory) - which imo doesn't look good on anime style art unless carefully done (like the cel-shade Zelda games Wind Waker, etc.).

Perhaps you can try to do a mix of both? Keep the clean thin lines for detail and the line-less for general color, body, etc.?
The newer style isnt meant to be anime- Im trying to step away from it-
Thank you for the advice though-

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
I say do what's comfortable, because the more comfortable you are with the art style the easier you will improve at it.

The anime style likely looks better to people because you have been using it longer and have built upon it.