BE HONEST ABOUT THIS

Do you actually go through the UST and change the sounds and/or fix the envelopes?

• Yes!

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • No!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I just fit the bank to the ust

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
EDIT: Messed up the poll question, you're not supposed to go through and fix the oto, I meant to say fix envelope issues

I've been wondering lately, we all find English VCCV banks with bad otos from time to time, as well as bad pronunciation, and we eve try to plug and play with English (tbh bad idea, never really works)

But before you say that the oto is bad, or the pronunciation, most common "mispronunciation"
is pu px p6
Do you actually change the sounds and fix envelopes and?

Last edited:

☆彡иα∂ιѕ☆彡

Ash Ketchum
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
i don't work too much with english vb's, but i run into similar issues in other languages like spanish, and japanese. usually though, i just mess with the envelopes to fix minor pronunciation issues and any gross popping sounds because i do not show shit about oto so :'D

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
I don't do much cover work with English, so I don't usually take the effort to really go through the ust.

Usually when I am working with other English usts(aka those not created by me), it's usually to test a voicebank pretty quickly. I like to try and set the ust values and stuff to the oto of the bank I am testing and judge from there if the voicebank is working properly. At that point, I will probably take note of any actual oto issues (if it's not an issue with the ust itself) and actual mispronunciations/accents (if the ust correctly has the right or most appropriate vowel in place).

Because in these cases I'm not making a serious cover, I'm not gonna fine tune the ust. However, for those out there aiming for the highest quality cover they can manage (with skill and time and resources): It really is quite important to look through the ust and adjust to your liking! Everyone pronounces stuff differently and everyone makes usts differently, even when there is a system in place!

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I feel like every accent, especially since every one is different with VCCV, notes do need to be changed.

I change Englich VCCV notes to fit the bank in how I feel it would sound better (given all the times im lazy af)

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I fix the envelopes only and not the oto since I'm still not sure how VCCV is supposed to be oto'ed so I just leave them as is in the time being :'D

Reactions: HoneyPai

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I fix the envelopes only and not the oto since I'm still not sure how VCCV is supposed to be oto'ed so I just leave them as is in the time being :'D

Yes this was an accident in the poll! I meant to ask if people change sound names or fix envelopes, not actually go in and fix the oto xDD

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Yes this was an accident in the poll! I meant to ask if people change sound names or fix envelopes, not actually go in and fix the oto xDD
Can't you edit the poll question? There should be a small "edit" option at the right.

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
Sometimes Id go as far as to just redo the entire ust from scratch if I don't like it. I fix the oto sometimes because people like oto'ing the transitional VCs CZ's way. I also like to edit the glide ending VCs in a way where the consonant would stay sustained

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
BEFORE YOU COMMENT SINCE PEOPLE ARE GETTING MISLEAD, SORRY, MY FAULT
THE QUESTION IS MEANT TO BE

DO YOU ACTUALLY GO THROUGH THE UST AND CHANGE THE SOUNDS, AND OR FIX THE ENVELOPES

NOT ACTUALLY FIXING THE OTO

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko

DO YOU ACTUALLY GO THROUGH THE UST AND CHANGE THE SOUNDS, AND OR FIX THE ENVELOPES

I fix envelopes, change sounds, and fix the oto as I see fit unless there's a no oto change rule

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko

Fixed it for you :wink:

Now that it's all clear now, I only edit the envelopes and not edit the sounds since I'm too lazy for that ;'D

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
people are very loose in how they record the vowels, meaning there are tons of variation even for similarly localized voices.
So you almost always have to change at least some notes.

But fixing envelopes shouldn't be too common.

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
I know this is about English specifically, but I'll answer with more stuff anyways.
With Japanese VCV USTs, I hardly ever alter the envelopes unless they sound like ass, which is rare. Most of what I do with JP VCV USTs is flag work and pitchbend editing.
With VCCV English, I usually have to edit the pronunciation at least a little as well as the envelopes. I also do flagwork and pitchbend editing, it's something I tend to do with any UST I use, unless it's already fine. Usually I don't like what's been done with the flags, though.

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I know this is about English specifically, but I'll answer with more stuff anyways.
With Japanese VCV USTs, I hardly ever alter the envelopes unless they sound like ass, which is rare. Most of what I do with JP VCV USTs is flag work and pitchbend editing.
With VCCV English, I usually have to edit the pronunciation at least a little as well as the envelopes. I also do flagwork and pitchbend editing, it's something I tend to do with any UST I use, unless it's already fine. Usually I don't like what's been done with the flags, though.

Yes, I assume most people rarely have to touch envelopes in Japanese vcv, and it seems like an occasional occurance that has to be fixed in vccc English, but it does happen, it's not really a bank style meant for plug and play, there are still overlaps on notes that sometimes have to be fixed to make a note not sound so harsh or just forced out if no where, most problems like that usually happen in sounds like "br" "pl" "dr" and if you just change the envelope on the next sound, the previous sounds smoother.

This isn't difficult but knowning that all vccv banks are different, it makes me wonder if not paying any mind to process like this, makes people assume an English vb is bad

Kuku Klock

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I do that with any UST I use. That's why it takes me forever to cover songs. I also go in and tune a lil bit in accordance to the UTAU that's being used. *also a reason why my covering songs take forever and a day*