Best Usb mic?

MadamaDemonSlayer

Teto's Territory
So I'm interested in buying a usb mic (off amazon of course) And I wanted to know which is the best for recording Uta VB's with. I know the Audio Technica 2020 is a good one BUT I kinda don't wanna spend that much money for a mic I am only gonna use maybe, once every-I wanna say, six months.

Along with mics that don't need a special program to read the audio file.

So any tips?

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I mean, assuming you're aware all USB microphones are pretty bad in general - There are a few mics that will do you good.

Especially if you have a good recording environment, because if that's not good, no matter the microphone, your samples wont be clear.

Most people will recommend a CAD, Snowball or any other condenser mic. Basically the CAD and the Snowball(not ice) are made the same way, depending on the condition of the mic one will pick up more background noise than the other. Personally I've heard more complaints of CAD's picking up too much bg noise even with different settings.
So if you're looking for a cheap USB microphone that you can play around with settings wise to get the best quality, and have it durable(in case you drop it) I would lean you towards a snowball.
Just personal usb mic experience, I've dropped mine a handful of times so unlike other mics its quite sturdy. There are 3 different settings, and you can edit settings further within your computer. I record in the closet which soaks up a lot of outside noises that may get into my samples. But here is an example of what you can expect to get
No touches to the vocals VS. with mix

Full Vocals with touches to vocals

However with all this in mind, every voice is different so just because one works for one, it may not for others! Hope this was somewhat helpful!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You didn't give a budget, so really you're just going to get "cheap, but good enough" recommendations. If we get a specific number, it may turn out that you're actually willing to spend enough for a different type of setup.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Without a budget I can only guess.
For about $50: CAD u37. Best cheap usb mic in it's price category. No gimmicks so more money goes into the sound.
They used to have noise issues but at some point they were updated and no longer have this issue.
For like $100: Nady USB-1C, Nady USB-1CX, or MXL 008 depending on what you can find cheaper.

Between the $50 and $100 ranges there is no improvement.

Generally avoid the Blue brand as their usb mics are generally expensive for the quality you get, since they are a popular brand they charge more. Also they can be large and awkward. Also you do not need all the extra features that take away from the overall quality.

USB mics aren't going to be amazing quality in comparison to XLR/studio stuff, since they also have to have the electronics built in and be easy to use. But they certainly are better than say...a headset or what might be built into your laptop.

Take your pick, if you have any questions then feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Maybe2Morrow

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I used an Iphone to record with

soundcloud.com/onayasings/sets/jackerline

I just changed the m4a to wav on pc xD

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
CAD u37

Trust me when I say CAD u37 is the one of the best USB mics and it's cheaper than the Snowball. Internet consensus says the CAD sounds better than the Snowball. They are not built the same and you don't pay for quality in the Snowball; you pay for the brand name.

The reason why the CAD would pick up BG noise is if you don't lower your mic volume enough. At default it records at 100%, but it's ideal to lower it to around 50%. Also, your environment is too noisy.

The Snowball is much better suited to recording audio for videos or other things, but not for stuff like singing and recording samples for UTAU.

Just avoid the mainstream Blue USB mics. Blue makes good mics, but their mainstream USB mics are not worth it. You can get the same or even BETTER quality with a mic that's cheaper.

@_caustic_ has a much more informative post. @Kitcat190 's post isn't as much informative

Last edited:

MadamaDemonSlayer

Teto's Territory
Okay I kinda have a good idea on what to look for. I didn't know too much about mics but you all helped alot. Thanks! I'll tell you guys which one i bought when i can order it.