BLYTHE Anaka - New Concept art ???

meichan

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Along with Anaka's new bank, I want to release new concept art.
tumblr_mpjtnwdyUx1rs9bjfo1_1280.png

I want to do a normal animu style, but I'm bad at that. So I'm trying this.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure how I want to color it :sad:

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's an interesting style so far but it looks unfinished so it's hard for me to leave a final verdict on that unfortunately. It looks like it could be pretty cute though. So, I'll just move on to the art itself.

From what I can see, you seem to be off to a decent start. It'd be nice if we could have some indication of her hands, though. It feels like you're covering them up as a cop out cause drawing hands is hard(understatement). I understand if her sleeves are really long but ya know...still.

When you draw a character doing anything, especially in concept art, you wanna draw them looking comfortable in their pose regardless of what they're doing. They can be jumping around or skipping, doesn't matter. If it looks comfortable, usually it'll be alright. I bring this up because her arm sticking out like that seems a bit unnatural to me? I think "forced" is the word I'm looking for here.

When it comes to concept art your character doesn't have to be standing straight up and down and just looking at a 3/4 angle. They can be "moving", just as long as you get their outfit in there and the general "feel" of that character. In fact that is actually the point of concept art really.

So, experiment with different poses and really try to get her hands in there lol I know hands are scary and hard trust me but hiding them won't do ya any good~

Next is anatomy(DUN DUN DUN). When it comes to anatomy try and think of simple measurements our body has. Our feet are as long as our forearms. Our hands should be able to cover our faces. And head height! Head height is sooo helpful.

Like this.

When I draw Iris she tends to be seven heads tall. And it really helps cause I know her torso takes up about two heads. And her legs take up about four. Simple measurements like this can really help in practicing anatomy I promise. Aside from ya know the obvious(reference). Right now Anaka looks too long. And either her head is too small or her body is too wide.

What else...ahh ya know...try to work from the inside out. Like sketch your basic stick figure skeleton first. Then start working out the general shapes of stuff, then flesh out your body, and then start working on details. If you start out with the clothes and don't know what's going on underneath it'll really effect your art in the end.

I think that's it for now.

TL;DR
Work on getting your form down first. Like really get it down and then worry about details and coloring. Those all come later and are the icing on the cake~ But so far it's a cute start~ She looks sad though I guess I've been staring at Iris's art for too long

meichan

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
@Iris
thanks, but I know how anatomy works. This is stylized to be too long.

tumblr_mpjwl8vRf61rs9bjfo1_500.png

I colored it. Not going to mess with this version anymore.

Austria

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
It looks nice and simple c: Gives a good impression of the design without a complicated style.

Olivia

Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I agree with Austria. :smile:
It's simple, but it's really cute, and gets the point across. c:

meichan

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Austria said:
It looks nice and simple c: Gives a good impression of the design without a complicated style.

Olivia said:
I agree with Austria. :smile:
It's simple, but it's really cute, and gets the point across. c:

Thanks, guys :D