Calculate your vowels with Praat and MS Excel

Tutorial Calculate your vowels with Praat and MS Excel 2017-02-04

Aura Autumnus

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Aura Autumnus submitted a new resource:

Calculate your vowels with Praat and MS Excel - Get the F1 and F2 values of your vowels to see the way you actually speak

Guys, I prepared a tiny tutorial so you can calculate your vowels. This is key to know about your accent, either mother tongue or foreign languages.

Praat is a free program I used back in college *wink*

View attachment 3896

We are used to vowel charts, but have in mind that not everybody speaks the same way. Charts are not the ideal but a reference. No matter the language, the region, the gender... we all are different. For example, my "a" in "cat" is not very nasalized, so it's...

Read more about this resource...

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I have done mine using VCCV English o u o9
screenshot__132__by_kitcat190-daxuhkp.png

Reactions: Aura Autumnus

Aura Autumnus

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Very interesting! This proves that, not only E and o are not as balanced as a chart would predict, but also the necessity of having diphthongs separately. Look at them! The first vowel does not coincide with other vowels. I and 8, A and e... In English, that's the best idea: to consider them as separate vowels and record them fully. Overall it looks amazing <3

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm surprised people here are using Praat tbh :0

Though tbh, using utau samples might not be the best since people stress and pronounce them differently from natural speech.

Reactions: Aura Autumnus

Aura Autumnus

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'm surprised people here are using Praat tbh :0

Though tbh, using utau samples might not be the best since people stress and pronounce them differently from natural speech.

I think people should use it more. I mean, it's the first thing I saw in Philology.

And not necessarily. Some people do some voice acting, but some don't *raises hand* in any case, they can be recorded naturally because you only need the vowels to be checked. It's something really quick to do. You have both options. If you wanna make it really sure, you can use actual words, such as peeeeeeeeeeeak, piiiiiiiiiiiiiick, paaaaaaaaaaack, etc and then get the vowel.