Can I create a new Utau with the same voice?

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Since coming back I've wanted to retire my Utau Tonyu as a original character and create a new Utau however with the same voice (I barely sound like Tonyu anymore anyways, my voice is a lot deeper)

my reasoning behind it is that I created Tonyu in 2009, he originally was a recolor of Len and my friend was his twin and her name was Takasha (I know that is terrible, 2009 was a special time) and I never completely had control of his design since he came from a recolor then when I made him his first voicebank he turned into a Crypton formula design then he slowly evolved to his current design which I do love since Mrs Peach designed it and Myst drew his current concept art, however it still doesn't feel personal enough since I am myself a artist.

one more thing is the name itself "Tonyu Tasamuki" this name means something like "dripping in the streets" (I know hahaha) or Tonyu itself I believe means soy milk in Japanese

I just feel I'm a different person now and I want complete control of my design and character from the knowledge and artistic direction I have now.

What do you all think, should I follow my heart and just do it?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Of course! If you feel this disconnected from your original character, then I definitely think it's fine to start fresh. Especially if your voice has changed and you took such a long break from the community, it probably even makes sense to do an entirely new UTAU. I know there's people out there who have had the same UTAU for five years, but that takes (in my opinion) immense amounts of continuous dedication.

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Go for it my man. I feel like I change my UTAU character every two or three years, so you wouldn't be the first. People change, as do our ideas and how we choose to execute them. Sometimes, we stick with a character which grows with us, but other times its better to start from scratch. Its up to whatever you feel is best.

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Of course! If you feel this disconnected from your original character, then I definitely think it's fine to start fresh. Especially if your voice has changed and you took such a long break from the community, it probably even makes sense to do an entirely new UTAU. I know there's people out there who have had the same UTAU for five years, but that takes (in my opinion) immense amounts of continuous dedication.

I totally do feel disconnected to him however I feel like "Tonyu" helped me through my past and I kind of escaped through Utau back then but I think he's ready to retire so I can move on and just remember the memories.

I want to create a character based off who I am now apposed to who I was when I was in pain if that makes sense.

Reactions: Nohkara

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Go for it my man. I feel like I change my UTAU character every two or three years, so you wouldn't be the first. People change, as do our ideas and how we choose to execute them. Sometimes, we stick with a character which grows with us, but other times its better to start from scratch. Its up to whatever you feel is best.
So true! and thank you so much.
[doublepost=1495425105][/doublepost]
I think you should be able to! Just discontinue the banks with the same exact voice and rebrand them, to avoid any confusion-
For sure however I don't mind if people still use Tonyus banks but I have ideas to release a really good core voice for the new character (Multipitch VCV, Cv and English Arpasing) so people are more willing to switch, thank you for the advice.

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I don't see anything wrong with it, so of course you can! ^=^ Especially since you mentioned how little you sound like Soy Milk (see what I did there?? XD) nowadays, I think it'll be fine!

Reactions: FeatheredFinch

CyberneticEden

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So true! and thank you so much.
[doublepost=1495425105][/doublepost]
For sure however I don't mind if people still use Tonyus banks but I have ideas to release a really good core voice for the new character (Multipitch VCV, Cv and English Arpasing) so people are more willing to switch, thank you for the advice.
Well, making references to the new pages in the wiki and such should be able to help that, just so people who use him know he's now a new character, like- I mean, rebrand the existing voicebanks as the new one, I guess? Like, just edit the character file and icon, once you've finished the change.

Reactions: FeatheredFinch

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Well, making references to the new pages in the wiki and such should be able to help that, just so people who use him know he's now a new character, like- I mean, rebrand the existing voicebanks as the new one, I guess? Like, just edit the character file and icon, once you've finished the change.
True I'll just add that he is retired to his current wikis when I make the switch! I still need to make new voicebanks anyway since he only has a monopitch VCV currently.