Cheating?

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Well, we aren't submitting our voicebanks to the National UTAU Committee for review, so I don't see an issue of basing your recordings and oto off of a existing bank. Its kind of like reprimanding an artist for using references rather than drawing from memory. For first time VCV users, I think its a good practice to understand how to edit their files.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

ayatonic

emo lord
Defender of Defoko
i don't really have a care if others decide to use a pre existing oto as a base, but it's honestly wayy too much work for me, lol. (of course, if it's allowed by that utau's creator.)
for years ive only seen vcv tutorials that suggest doing such a thing, so i don't really know what to think of it. i never really saw it as WRONG, so its a little bit of a stretch to call a utau made from an already existing oto a derivative, to me. (this is just what i think, could be wrong lol)
that being said, i dont exactly FAVOR such an act, i just have neutral feelings about it. (though, i'm referring to "base" otos that get modified a LOT to fit the new utau) yknoww, making an EFFORT. im okay with that lmao.
ive attempted making vcv's quite a few times now and i just reuse the oto i generated when i made my first one lol (i otoed mine by hand)
otoing on your own is very time consuming (painful af for me tbhh) but it's really not hard... it amazes me how many people admit they can't oto at all. i think that if users knew how vcv otos worked, they wouldnt be as scared to make their own. (not babying them-- people should be making an EFFORT to learn, in my opinion. :P i did it, and so many others have too... it should be common sense, but eh what do i know? smh)
anyways, still, just my thoughts!! lol, i dont even know if i should be talking though, i made my vcv's in audacity @-@ (still unsure if that's taboo or not) so i'll go now!!
in conclusion, i dont think "borrowing" an oto is WRONG, at least if it's heavily modified.... i dont encourage "stealing" an oto without editing it. lmao
ok bye

☆彡иα∂ιѕ☆彡

Ash Ketchum
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Let's just make smth clear here:

Those people upset about "cheating" need to sit down and touch a soft animal or smth. There is no way to "cheat" in terms of creating an oto. Even autogen things like moresampler aren't "cheating" it's just not 100% effective and really should not stay the way they were because they need to be altered. You can oto alongside a bank like Namine Ritsu and it'd still be fine.
There is nothing about otoing alongside another bank that makes the user's integrity drop.
The waveforms should look very similar if not the same, since you're both repeating the same string of sounds, so if anything, it's a learning opportunity for you to see how the oto should line up, which lines go where in each sample, etc in order to achive the best possible sound in the Engine. The only thing that shows a lack of integrity is stealing somebody else's voicebank and I think everyone besides the bank thieves can attest to that. Using a base oto is not a bad thing, especially for like, beta tests and stuff. However, as Velvet mentioned, it is lazy to just leave it be with all it's flaws and never fix it. And pffft maybe that's got smth to do with integrity there.