COMPLETELY new to Utau

Demoneyesjoe

Momo's Minion
Hello, my name is Joe. Iv been quite a bit of a vocaloid fan for quite some time. However, I never delved into the actual software before, due to the price. This past weekend I went to Katsucon, and attended both the Utau and Vocaloid panels. It was there that I learned that Utau is basically free, I had no idea that was the case with Utau, although I never really looked into it because I was more of a Vocaloid person. It was there that I Met Mystsaphyr, EmpathP (again), Circus-P, and Crusher-P (can you say fanboy scream?).

If this goes well, I will attribute everything to that single encounter, all of them are so down to earth and so friendly despite being, in short, superstars.

Moving on, I have NO musical background. However as far as computers go I am quick to pick things up, and I have SOOOOOOOO many ideas for songs or whatever that I have (until now) had no way to put on "paper". So far I have the Utau program, and Kikyunne Aiko....now what? HAHA

If this works, it will change my entire life, no longer will I live in the middle.

Reactions: Zoku

AmeKinoko

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Welcome! I can't believe you got to meet CIRCRUSH! (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ To bad I'm on the other side of the country...
Anyway, if you need UTAU tips, Resources is a good place to look.

Demoneyesjoe

Momo's Minion
Welcome! I can't believe you got to meet CIRCRUSH! (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ To bad I'm on the other side of the country...
Anyway, if you need UTAU tips, Resources is a good place to look.

Honestly, I still cant believe it either, I am unworthy. Thanks for the tip!

Nyehko

Retired User
Retired User
Welcome to UF!
Ah, that so lucky! You got to meet Vocaloid music producers?! So lucky! I wish I could go but it's
Just
So
Far
Away
XD

I guess you don't really need that much musical background, just be able to make music, can read notes, can write lyrics and such! And the process of making music on UTAU is kind of the same as doing it on Vocaloid, but you know, some people have different opinions.
Well, if you're looking for UTAU help and support, you've come to the right place!
Just go to "Help and Advice" and "Resources" (like AmeKinoko had said).

Good luck with whatever you'll do next!

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Welcome to the forum and fandom. If you ever want quick answers to any questions you may have, you can also come talk in the chat.

Demoneyesjoe

Momo's Minion
Welcome to UF!
Ah, that so lucky! You got to meet Vocaloid music producers?! So lucky! I wish I could go but it's
Just
So
Far
Away
XD

I guess you don't really need that much musical background, just be able to make music, can read notes, can write lyrics and such! And the process of making music on UTAU is kind of the same as doing it on Vocaloid, but you know, some people have different opinions.
Well, if you're looking for UTAU help and support, you've come to the right place!
Just go to "Help and Advice" and "Resources" (like AmeKinoko had said).

Good luck with whatever you'll do next!

I LOVE EIN! She was my desktop theme for a loooong time. Then I bought a bunch of new computer parts so now my theme is black rock shooter.

I cant read notes, writing lyrics....meh, I have ideas, never done it before. Like I said NO background. Iv never used Vocaloid before either so I will literally be doing everything by ear.[DOUBLEPOST=1424133580][/DOUBLEPOST]
Welcome to the forum and fandom. If you ever want quick answers to any questions you may have, you can also come talk in the chat.
Thanks, I didnt know there WAS a chat, Ill find it now.

In case no one has noticed yet, I love forums, but once they start to die off, I kind of forget about them, so as long as there is activity, I am always around.

Nyehko

Retired User
Retired User
I LOVE EIN! She was my desktop theme for a loooong time. Then I bought a bunch of new computer parts so now my theme is black rock shooter.

I cant read notes, writing lyrics....meh, I have ideas, never done it before. Like I said NO background. Iv never used Vocaloid before either so I will literally be doing everything by ear.

KagePro AND BRS?! You're already awesome in my book, bro.

And really, unless you want to write original songs, you don't exactly need any of those because you can do covers of Vocaloid songs using USTs (UTAU Sequence Files/Text, which contains data on which notes and pitches a UTAU should sing, much like a VSQ) that other people have made (Just remember to credit the creator of the UST!). I would explain more but it's pretty complex and might take up a lot of time.

Demoneyesjoe

Momo's Minion
Hey I totally explain long winded explanations, so if you feel inclined to do so, ill read it. I myself have to always stop myself from explaining things to people in really long ways (usually regarding my emotions).

Nyehko

Retired User
Retired User
Hey I totally explain long winded explanations, so if you feel inclined to do so, ill read it. I myself have to always stop myself from explaining things to people in really long ways (usually regarding my emotions).

I guess I would if I actually knew what I was going to ramble on about in the first place. XP

Nyehko

Retired User
Retired User
best friends forever

P_O_T_W____Idiot_Friendship_by_LTI_Hudson_5340.jpg

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
AAAAH welcome to the forum, Joe!! I'm so happy you decided to join UF~ We all had a lot of fun at Katsucon hanging out with you!

Resources is definitely the best place to look for basic help right now, I'd also check the utau.wiki Tutorials listings and YouTube to find some good tutorials. Some other users and I are currently in the process of setting up a kind of UTAU 101 lesson series for people who are just starting out, to make it a bit easier and more organized for new users like you who join the forum COMPLETELY new to UTAU, but that's not quite done of course...

If you need any help with anything specific, do let me know!

Demoneyesjoe

Momo's Minion
AAAAH welcome to the forum, Joe!! I'm so happy you decided to join UF~ We all had a lot of fun at Katsucon hanging out with you!

Resources is definitely the best place to look for basic help right now, I'd also check the utau.wiki Tutorials listings and YouTube to find some good tutorials. Some other users and I are currently in the process of setting up a kind of UTAU 101 lesson series for people who are just starting out, to make it a bit easier and more organized for new users like you who join the forum COMPLETELY new to UTAU, but that's not quite done of course...

If you need any help with anything specific, do let me know!

AHHHHH YOU REPLIED TO MEEE (sorry, I am still a bit fanboyish) That 101 course would be great!!! I can't explain how much it meant to me to meet and talk to you all. I was kind of sad Aki couldn't make it, but she actually lives quite near me I believe. Something I am trying to keep in mind the most is what you all said at the end of the UTAU panel.

"It's all about having fun"

Up until you started showing me funny stuff on tumblr i didnt exactly understand what you meant. Song writing can be a frustrating process. So far iv mostly been listening to the voice files for Aiko's english. Some people in chat were saying I should start in Japanese Engrish, but others were saying to pick a language you know....which is only english. Left me a bit confused. But for now I am just playing around and trying to get a grasp on the program. I pick up things quite easily that way (and its fun). Others were saying I should learn music theory, but I just wana make someone sing my lyrics, music can come later.

OH! YEA! What was that DJ website you were showing me again?? (I'v had biohazard on repeat for a while now, ;-) )

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
One I'm home (stranded cause of the snow, haha) and around my external harddrive, I could find a reference English UST file for you to look at! Here's a tutorial I made as well: http://utau.wiki/tutorials:cvvc-english-tutorial-by-mystsaphyr

However, in terms of English vs Engrish for learning how to use UTAU... honestly, I'd say neither: use Japanese just to get used to how the UTAU software and USTs work!

Japanese banks are all standardized and there's (of course) more Japanese USTs out there than English ones. If you get used to using UTAU through using premade USTs and covers before jumping right into original music, you can then work your way up to making your own USTs in other languages from there!

Actually, think of learning UTAU like learning a new language: you learn stuff like common greetings and nouns first before jumping right into grammar structure.

Demoneyesjoe

Momo's Minion
That guide IS super helpful. I know something that helped me a long time ago in college was a book that taught you how to use a computer program. In doing so it showed you a finished product, then proceeded to tell you exactly step by step how to make that exact same product. Later chapters would just add more features and so on. If that is what you are aiming for, something like that, that makes someone use all the tools in the program, would be god-tier useful for anyone interested and would make UTAU basically a pick-up program after something like that.

And yea, that's a good analogy.[DOUBLEPOST=1424156463][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm actually using Cdra's UTAU guide at the moment.

Last edited:

missty

Teto's Territory
Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure you will get the hang of using UTAU, it's not a really difficult software to work with.
On the other hand, I have to say, that I'm really jelous, because of the people you could met!
My bad, that I'm not living in America. :bigtears:

Demoneyesjoe

Momo's Minion
I was saying in chat before hand that although I loved the encounter, I dont want to talk about it much because it makes me feel like I am gloating or something I really am nothing special, I am probably the most plain person in the entire world. I just like to make things.

Like that winged-military Miku that is my avatar :D

I kinda wana do a short frozen cover because the song is permanently in my head despite several tries to get rid of it