demonic microphone doesn't like mono

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
So I planned to recrod today but that plan fell out of the window when I heard the result after one sample in oremo. The sample sounded very distorded and demon-ish... I fiddled around and found out that its related to recording in mono instead of stereo. I can't find any setting in oremo that adjust that...
Oremo used to work well and fine before so I don't know why it doesnt now.

I have my locale set to japanese for years, and I recently installed windows 10. I have also tried redownloading oremo to see if was something wrong with mine, but I still got the same distortion.
heres an example of what the distortion sounds (warning it's loud):

If anyone knows what can be causing this please help.

danlof99

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
You can try with Audacity... if it sounds good the problem is Oremo, otherwise is the mic...
Ah, another tip... try to initialize frequency map in utau... it worked for me...

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
You can try with Audacity... if it sounds good the problem is Oremo, otherwise is the mic...
Ah, another tip... try to initialize frequency map in utau... it worked for me...
The problem also exists in audacity.
How will making frqmaps help when the issue is the raw wav file itself? I didn't run it through utau.:cynical:

keopi

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Well I don't know if you fixed it, but before you do make an UTAU with that demon voice, please. Thanks. c;

Reactions: Cupcake

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
Stars just said in her video that you're supposed to set the input device to " Win multimedia" and not " Direct Sound "
I have done that. I'n fact I have tried all the settings inside the input output menu. notthing works :/

Well I don't know if you fixed it, but before you do make an UTAU with that demon voice, please. Thanks. c;
Dont worry, I recorded a full bank when I figured it wansn't something I could fix today.

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I can tell so far it's not the microphone thats the issue. I get the same result with the built in mic as the one I plug in.

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
Have you tried plugging the mic in other PCs to see if they work fine on them?
I think it will work that way, but thats a workaround rather than a fix though. And I don't have admin permission on my school pc so I can't change the locale on that one and use the tools in oremo.:cynical: But still, its worth a check.

what if you record in stereo then convert the wav to mono?
Dont know if changing stereo files to mono will give them the distortion, but if it works then thats another workaround. I would be able to use one of the oremo tools, mainly the tempo- and pitch guide. Not ideal but manageable.

I'm gonna check these things and whatever else pops upp in the weekend, aswell as see if skype is affected.
If I cant find a fix son, then I will have to settle for a workaround till a fix pops upp from somewhere.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
have you upgraded your audio driver as well as the mic driver (if usb) with the upgrade to Win10? that could possibly be it if it's not the mic itself that's having issues. could also be a case of latency (unlikely) or that the input is simply too loud (after listening to the sample, it doesn't seem to be the case, but i can't be sure without seeing the wav file in a daw or audacity). my mic records in mono and i've never experienced this problem. i might dig around and see if i can re-create the problem in audacity with my mic when i get off work, but that certainly is strange... (i make no promises as i have an xlr mic and interface).

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
have you upgraded your audio driver as well as the mic driver (if usb) with the upgrade to Win10? that could possibly be it if it's not the mic itself that's having issues. could also be a case of latency (unlikely) or that the input is simply too loud (after listening to the sample, it doesn't seem to be the case, but i can't be sure without seeing the wav file in a daw or audacity). my mic records in mono and i've never experienced this problem. i might dig around and see if i can re-create the problem in audacity with my mic when i get off work, but that certainly is strange... (i make no promises as i have an xlr mic and interface).
I haven't really checked the audio driver since most stuff are set to auto uppdate , so It's quite possible thats the reason. I'll see if windows check for uppdate finds anything in the weekend.

I've listened to the mic through the advanced settings and it sounded pretty normal to me there. But here's a pic of the distorted sample in oremo:
b3a84c94c4fb0173d1f119dbfe7709f5.png

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I'm glad to say that the issue is now solwed. I just needed to uppdate the sound card driver.:sing:

Reactions: oteto