Design Critique/Advice, Please?

TheEternalChild7

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hey, guys. :3 So, I'm thinking about changing my UTAUloid's design a bit, because I came up with her original design back when I thought that all UTAUloids had to resemble Crypton Vocaloids.
This is her original design:
SugiOriginalDesign1.png

And this is a new one I'm considering:
SugiNewDesignIdea3Color1.png

(I couldn't quite bring myself to scrap the hoodie. ':D)

What do you think? How can I improve this? I don't really intend to give her an entire new look- I'm just trying to make her less... Miku-esque- but if you think I should, and/or you have an idea for a better design, please say so. :3

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I think a bit of contrast would be good to her... too much blue on this.

Maybe some orange on the vest-hoodie instead of that violetish-blue as well as on the similar blue on the top of the shoes will help too standout. I would recommend orangey headphones too... it get a bit lost with the hair.

The lasso on her left art seems a bit off... imagine someone singing and that thing getting on your way while dancing/body movements. You could go for an asymetrical look and just left the lasso on the right arm (just try to have it covering the area of the forearm, not the whole art.

TheEternalChild7

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I guess she doesn't have much contrast, does she? Okay, I'll see how I can incorporate some contrasting color into her new design. I don't think I want to change the color of her hoodie, since that blue-violet color is supposed to be her main color, but I'll stick some contrasting color in somewhere else. (Wow, I need to stop saying color. o_o)
And I guess you have a point with the ribbons. I just thought it would look cool... 'XD I'll try to make her more... aerodynamic.
Thanks a lot for your input~! :3 *Works on the design some more* Let me know if you think of anything else, please!

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
The Eternal Child link said:
I guess she doesn't have much contrast, does she? Okay, I'll see how I can incorporate some contrasting color into her new design. I don't think I want to change the color of her hoodie, since that blue-violet color is supposed to be her main color, but I'll stick some contrasting color in somewhere else. (Wow, I need to stop saying color. o_o)
And I guess you have a point with the ribbons. I just thought it would look cool... 'XD I'll try to make her more... aerodynamic.
Thanks a lot for your input~! :3 *Works on the design some more* Let me know if you think of anything else, please!

Well, instead of the vest, maybe the blouse under it, the socks, and the headphone will be enough. As you say, I want to keep the main color of your choice, which in most UTAULOIDS are on hair or a certain piece of clothing.

@Roxanne I dont think contrasting the haircolour would be a good idea... since it changes the whole character. Just some aspects is more than enought to bring it more brightly.

TheEternalChild7

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Roxanne:  That would probably break up the purple, but... Sugi just wouldn't be Sugi without purple hair. XD I'd like to keep the color of her hair and the color of her hoodie the same, if I can, but good suggestion!

@Yue Nagareboshi:  Right. Okay, I'll give that a shot, then. :3 ... What colors do you think might work well? I tried some shades of orange, and then some yellows and creams, but it just seemed too... jarring, to me. :/ (Clearly I know nothing about matching colors. 'XD)

cosumiku

Teto's Territory
Hm, here is what I think.

I like the second design better than the first.

And I agree, a lot of blue. It's not the amount that I am concerned about, it's that they are all different types of blues and purples that don't flow well together.
I for one do not think you absolutely HAVE to have a literal contrasting/complimentary color. That's not the main issue, in my opinion, it's just that the blues don't mix well. You can use black, white, and a max of two highly contrasting blues instead of 4 different, clashing ones. Or, you can use one of my favorite combos, blue and yellow. If and when you choose different colors, I suggest to only have two main colors, excluding black/white. The color doesn't make the detail, the outfit does. Like, a higher sock than the other, a belt, some kind of design on the plain pants or shirt, a buckle on the shoe, etc. There are plenty Vocaloids/UTAUs that have fantastic designs with minimal colors. Having another color of hair will make it more unbalanced, in my opinion. Well, it depends on the color. The blue you chose is hard to work around.
I hope that made sense.

Well, that is my opinion, you don't have to agree! Good luck!

TheEternalChild7

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
cosumiku link said:

And I agree, a lot of blue. It's not the amount that I am concerned about, it's that they are all different types of blues and purples that don't flow well together.
I for one do not think you absolutely HAVE to have a literal contrasting/complimentary color. That's not the main issue, in my opinion, it's just that the blues don't mix well. You can use black, white, and a max of two highly contrasting blues instead of 4 different, clashing ones. Or, you can use one of my favorite combos, blue and yellow. If and when you choose different colors, I suggest to only have two main colors, excluding black/white. The color doesn't make the detail, the outfit does. Like, a higher sock than the other, a belt, some kind of design on the plain pants or shirt, a buckle on the shoe, etc. There are plenty Vocaloids/UTAUs that have fantastic designs with minimal colors. Having another color of hair will make it more unbalanced, in my opinion. Well, it depends on the color. The blue you chose is hard to work around.
I hope that made sense.

That definitely makes sense. All right, I'll see if I can tweak the design a bit, add some more detail, and pick out just a couple of colors. I'll try out the blue/yellow combo, too, and see if it fits. Thanks for the advice! :3 Let's put it to the test! >.< *Goes back to fixing the design*

I'll put up the improved design as soon as I'm done.  :3

cosumiku

Teto's Territory
[quote author=cosumiku link=topic=778.msg5655#msg5655 date=1331447742]

I hope that made sense.

That definitely makes sense. All right, I'll see if I can tweak the design a bit, add some more detail, and pick out just a couple of colors. I'll try out the blue/yellow combo, too, and see if it fits. Thanks for the advice! :3 Let's put it to the test! >.< *Goes back to fixing the design*

I'll put up the improved design as soon as I'm done.  :3
[/quote]

Oh okay!

TheEternalChild7

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Grr. x_x *Frustrated* If this whole excercise has taught me anything, it's that I CANNOT MATCH COLORS to save my life.
Here's my improved design... Although whether or not it's actually any better than the others is up for debate ':D I personally think it looks kinda cool, but I still don't know if the colors look okay. And... I'm not drifting back into Miku Formula territory, am I? o.o'
Please let me know what you think, and if you've got more pointers for me, say so! :3

SugiNewDesignIdea5Color.png

cosumiku

Teto's Territory
Grr. x_x *Frustrated* If this whole excercise has taught me anything, it's that I CANNOT MATCH COLORS to save my life.
Here's my improved design... Although whether or not it's actually any better than the others is up for debate ':D I personally think it looks kinda cool, but I still don't know if the colors look okay. And... I'm not drifting back into Miku Formula territory, am I? o.o'
Please let me know what you think, and if you've got more pointers for me, say so! :3

This is much better! The whites really balance it out more, and the little design on the pants and sleeves, they interesting to look at and give the cherry on top. 8D I'd say the only thing to do it maybe balance the top part with some white somewhere, anywhere.

Great improvement though! If you need more color help, this is a great tool: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

TheEternalChild7

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
8D Hooray! Thank you! (... I tried adding white somewhere on her upper half, but it looked too checkerboard-y to me... <.<' So I guess the white on her headset will just have to do.)
I'm pretty happy with this design. :3 I think I'll stick with it... Unless someone gives me some more tips within a day or two. Thanks so much, you've been a big help! ^_^

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Lemme just say this... I absolutely love her (double head-pigeons?) hair that's going on there~ @w@