Design Critique?

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
Okay, i've had Hekine released for a while, but i don't know if her design is good or not....i never had anyone say something good or bad about it, but critique would be loved >///<
utau_reference_sheet__hekine_chinjo_by_snow_songstress-d4jpkzr.jpg

Roxanne

Teto's Territory
It looks really cute, but I think the jacket is abit plain, other than the cute face on it.
I'd add some pink ruffles or some lace to  the bottom of it.

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
thanks :3 And yeah, i'm fixing that with her append design :3 give her something a little more cutesy, ya know?

Nikiten

Momo's Minion
I like the jacket, it's very unique. Everything else though is kinda... plain, I guess, but maybe that's to direct the attention more to the jacket? I think the drawing looks a little to top-heavy though. Maybe something at the bottom to kinda balance the jacket out?

Jadii

Momo's Minion
Agreed with the others, I really really like the jacket idea. It's very cute.
However, it doesn't really match the rest of the design. Like, this is just my own personal opinion, but I feel like her entire outfit is very mismatched? The jacket has a lot going on, but the shirt is dreadfully plain, and the bottom half is very uninteresting. Again, I don't mean that in a mean way or anything, so I hope you don't get offended!
Personally, I tend to dislike stripy black/another colour socks in designs because I feel they look cheap, so if I were you I would change that somehow. The belt with the heart also looks pretty cheap imho.
What I think you should do is research what type of clothes/clothes shapes work well with that style of jacket.
For example, if I was you, I would not have a short sleeve t-shirt with that jacket as it feels really exposed because of the shorts? I'd make her t-shirt long sleeved, that way it balances out. I think that clothes shape would look nice.
If I was you though, I'd completely scrap the bottom half because I don't think it's particularly eye catching and the top would have a good potential, so try to match it?
If you're short for ideas, then research fashion or even play dress up games to give you some inspiration. It might not seem like it, but I've found that's the best way to try and think of original designs.
Here's a good website: http://lookbook.nu/ I use for fashion because personally I think the fashion on that website is very nice. But, it's all up to you. Just research and I'm sure you'll get inspired by something.
Hope that helps!! :smile:

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
yeah, i was trying to go with something LESS outgoing except for the jacket because everywhere i look UTAUs have designs that are not overdone...but, i dunno, over thought out? I wanted Hekine to have something simple that if i wanted to cosplay her, it would be simple. and i didn't want something that would be more difficult to draw either

I dunno HOW MUCH I'll change the design since she's been set out and i don't like the idea of changing her design at this point, but i will try to fix things with her VCV/Append design

Jadii

Momo's Minion
The thing is though, I understand that you are trying to go for a plain look, but the problem is that it's TOO plain. It doesn't work and it looks really boring (except for the hoodie, but it doesn't make up for the entire thing).
Again, that's just my opinion. The thing about design is that it's subjective and it's up to you if you want to take on board what I'm saying. At the end of the day it's YOUR design, you know? I'm just trying to tell you how it can be improved in my opinion.
... Wait, you don't want to change it? Why on earth did you ask for critique on it then? Critique implies you're asking for general input on what is wrong/what you should change. I don't understand why you'd ask for that if you are happy with the design...?

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
With the appends i think there should be SOME reference to the original outfit though, which is why i wanted to know WHAT should be reference and what should be just changed