Do you refer Ritsu Namine as "he" or "she"?

What do you use to refer to Ritsu Namine?

• Total voters

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I first found about Ritsu in the UTAU wikia where it said that he's a crossdresser so I've always been referring to him as "he" (as you see now). And some people still don't know Ritsu's a "he".

So do use use "he", "she" (if you can't help it), "it" (he is a robot... [size=-5]kinda[/size]), or do you even know that Ritsu's actually a guy, or do you even know who Ritsu Namine is?

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I use "he," mainly because I try to pay at least some attention to available personality info (even if I don't really use it in cover choices heh).

I have a friend who's a big Ritsu fan, and she calls Ristu "she." She didn't know anything about his personality until I told her, and by that point she was already set on considering Ritsu a girl. Which I think is fine, since technically it is a woman's voice, as long as they don't mind people in Youtube comments pointing out over and over again that the character is male :tongue:

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
I've always called him a "he". Despite the fact that the voicer is a girl, the character himself is a male crossdresser, so I've always called him a "he".

Qubilu

Momo's Minion
I think of Ristu as a crossdresser OR a transgender but I normally say he since people will get butthurt if I call Ritsu a she.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
He. Even if people don't really know him, I use him as an example of "vippers are really ****ing weird"

PuddingPuff

Teto's Territory
He. I can see why people take the whole transgendered approach, but I personally don't agree that, due to the fact the wiki describes him as an "okama", which is more appropriate for "gay" or even "drag queen" than "transgendered woman".

Hey, to each their own, though. I disregard Ritsu's gender identity all the time when I do covers with him; hell, even sometimes I use him in a song with the focus on him having gender dysphoria (in my mind, anyways). People can think and use whichever pronouns they want.

Ritsu don't care.
Ritsu's a folder with sounds.

Reactions: aexlyii

AlphaUtau

Teto's Territory
Well, when I'm talking about him with people in Real Life like my sister I always refer to him als 'she', since I kinda see him as a girl, however on the internet I prefer to use he, because otherwise you've those people who start to bitch about it.

nirereru

Teto's Territory
I consider Ritsu a he and I do use male pronouns when talking about him.

I consider Ruko a he, too, even though "she" has no official gender (that I am aware of).

Aloof

Momo's Minion
...the wiki describes him as an "okama", which is more appropriate for "gay" or even "drag queen"...

No, no, no. Be careful. When you are referring to a homosexual man as an Okama, you're using a term akin to "******" in English.

It is only not an insult if you're referring to a cross-dresser.

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
I've been trying to use "they" now, but my first Ritsu interpretation when everyone was directly translating his profile to read "child of man" was that Ritsu was a guy who just happened to like dresses/fashion. See: Kuranosuke from Kuragehime. So I keep switching back to "he" out of habit.

BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use "it" in any context. Even though Canon's left the gender interpretation open, calling someone "it" is an awful insult that's often used against trans and intersex people and it's just really dehumanizing.

Reactions: warm rootbeer

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I prefer to use he (male) or it (neutral). Canonically, he's a male robot who wears feminine attire and just happens to have a female voicer. People just refer to him/it as a female because of the voice, but there are plenty of voices in real life and in Utau/Vocaloid that don't fit gender stereotypes/norms (Piko who is a man that can sing in the soprano range, Len who's voice acted by a female, Ryone Yami's voicer is a female, and I have a male voice that comes from a girl. I think we're all familiar with Nova, who voices males).

수연 <Suyeon>

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
He. I can see why people take the whole transgendered approach, but I personally don't agree that, due to the fact the wiki describes him as an "okama", which is more appropriate for "gay" or even "drag queen" than "transgendered woman".

Hey, to each their own, though. I disregard Ritsu's gender identity all the time when I do covers with him; hell, even sometimes I use him in a song with the focus on him having gender dysphoria (in my mind, anyways). People can think and use whichever pronouns they want.

Ritsu don't care.
Ritsu's a folder with sounds.

I agree with Aloof, Pudding. You really have to be careful in using Okama to mean that someone is gay because cross dressing (drag queen/king) has nothing to do with sexual orientation. Okama can be seen as a slight/slur against people who actually are in the LGBT community depending on the context (esp. since none of us here are Japanese and have a full understanding of the usage of it, it's probably best that we don't use it at all, lest we open Pandora's box).

수연 <Suyeon>

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I've been trying to use "they" now, but my first Ritsu interpretation when everyone was directly translating his profile to read "child of man" was that Ritsu was a guy who just happened to like dresses/fashion. See: Kuranosuke from Kuragehime. So I keep switching back to "he" out of habit.

BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use "it" in any context. Even though Canon's left the gender interpretation open, calling someone "it" is an awful insult that's often used against trans and intersex people and it's just really dehumanizing.

Personally Myst, I don't think it's a big deal to use "it" in Vocaloid/Utau context because outside of the avatar and namesake... take all of that away and it's only a voice. These synthesized voices can be interpreted and genderbent to fit whatever you want it to be (hence VY1V3/VY2V3 having no official human mascots and having the ability to g-flag and adjust the gender parameter in Vocaloid). It's not the same as referring to a living, breathing person as an "it" to dehumanize them.