Do you think having an active stronger community on youtube would help UTAU grow as a fandom?

Dae-dae

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I haven't been here for awhile because My mom wanted to finally upgrade our home computer. So I am throwing away my VBs I made on the computer because I personally think it's garbage and my voice changed, plus I know better know. Anyways I know some of you might say that it won't work due to some trying (to post covers) and most of the time doing just OK with the exception of people like kyaami, Studio VOXYZ, Crusher-p,etc more or less due to posting original songs that caught on or just simply working with vocaloid.

How ever I was thinking about more diversified like discussion about Utau, collabs, rants, top ten list, and maybe VB critiques? (Kinda like Akidearest?)

I wanted to start my making a top ten list since I made a thread ages ago asking what I should put on my lists.
But I got setbacks with a dying old computer and a broken mic.

Now I want to start it up again I fixed my mic and got windows 10. :smile:

What do you think? Got any Ideas?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
As a fandom? Yes, it could help. That's the kind of content that feeds the Vocaloid fandom. If you work on those kinds of videos, it could garner larger numbers of people who are casual fans of UTAU.
But as a community of UTAU users, I feel like it detracts from our focus on content creation. I've never really been interested in those kinds of videos myself. Moreover, I think the greatest strength of UTAU as a vocalsynth is that anyone can start using it for free. The reason Vocaloid has a distinct separation between fandom and user community is because of the money you need to spend just to start using it. But if a new fan comes across UTAU, it's a lot easier to start using UTAU and making your own voicebanks, characters, songs, artwork, etc. You don't need to "sit on the sidelines," you can jump right in.

Last edited:

Dae-dae

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
As a fandom? Yes, it could help. That's the kind of content that feeds the Vocaloid fandom. If you work on those kinds of videos, it could garner larger numbers of people who are fans of UTAU.
But as a community of UTAU users, I feel like it detracts from our focus on content creation. I've never really been interested in those kinds of videos myself. Moreover, I think the greatest strength of UTAU as a vocalsynth is that anyone can start using it for free. The reason Vocaloid has a distinct separation between fandom and user community is because of the money you need to spend just to start using it. But if a new fan comes across UTAU, it's a lot easier to start using UTAU and making your own voicebanks, characters, songs, artwork, etc. You don't need to "sit on the sidelines"

Yeah there is that with how fairly some this community we can't afford that. ^_^

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
This isn't something 100% true and just some occasions that I've observed, but a lot of Vocaloid fans avoid UTAU at all costs because of expecting badly oto'ed CV covers so I think Top _ Lists such as "Top 10 best UTAU" or "Top 10 Most Human UTAU" would give them more exposure as Top _ Lists are lists of "the best" and because they're mainstream and clickbaity

Dae-dae

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
This isn't something 100% true and just some occasions that I've observed, but a lot of Vocaloid fans who avoid UTAU at all costs because of expecting a badly oto'ed CV covers so I think Top _ Lists such as "Top 10 best UTAU" or "Top 10 Most Human UTAU" would give them more exposure as Top _ Lists are lists of "the best" and because they're mainstream and clickbaity

I tend to ignore elitist vocaloid fans and not put them as non-factor.

Top tens seems to be a double edged sword when you put it that way. However despite reputation I think it's a good momentum starter.

Reactions: kimchi-tan

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I'm not really sure if we need a stronger YouTube community or one with different content. Most of the UTAU videos I've seen were covers, and this was coming from recommended lists after Vocaloid videos. It gets boring after a while, and I think the professional style of covers might scare some people... This is more of a personal thing, though.
If there were more (or at least more recommended) MMD, Top __ Lists, or more "YouTube"-like videos, that could help. If someone new sees that we have some similarities to the general community, they might be more willing to stay.

I don't know if I explained that well enough. Sorry if that didn't answer your question!

Maybe2Morrow

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Well for me top 10 lists can be a help for those in the community to find out what to improve but also so hardcore vocaloid fans that there is some amazing UTAUs out there (I once met a "hardcore" vocaloid fan and when I asked their favorite they were all on UTAU and I was like, dude, that's an UTAU not a vocaloid and then they were like. Miku is my fave from now xD) anyway, I think it is up to a youtuber themselves to choose what they wanna make of videos, so the top 10's are your choice.

Dae-dae

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm not really sure if we need a stronger YouTube community or one with different content. Most of the UTAU videos I've seen were covers, and this was coming from recommended lists after Vocaloid videos. It gets boring after a while, and I think the professional style of covers might scare some people... This is more of a personal thing, though.
If there were more (or at least more recommended) MMD, Top __ Lists, or more "YouTube"-like videos, that could help. If someone new sees that we have some similarities to the general community, they might be more willing to stay.

I don't know if I explained that well enough. Sorry if that didn't answer your question!
Oh it's fine! :smile:

Dae-dae

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I would say yes. The only recognition I find the utau community gets on YouTube is for voicebanks (sometimes) or USTs. A lot of people don't post covers on YouTube anymore I find
Yeah people mostly use soundcloud.