FM Synthesis

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
This topic is for subjects of discussion related to advanced sound design using Frequency Modulation. This is a subject I've been into lately, so I felt like making a topic for it.

Feel free to share samples, talk about plugins, give tips etc.

For those who are also new to FM or are not sure what it is, click the spoiler for some info:

A helpful tutorial from the guy that made the FL studio 11 demo song

FM is a very reliable tool for creating the EDM bass sounds everyone loves. Sadly most of the freeware DAWs we use do not come with instruments with the robust functionality of FM8 or Sytrus. Thankfully, Bedroom Producers Blog has a good list of top freeware VSTi FM synths that fit the bill very nicely.

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/201...udio-best-free-fm-synthesizer-vstiau-plugins/

Some of these plugins lack the ability to recreate the sound that Seamless made using his method, but there is a way still. I will post about it soon.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
o man I gotta get more into FM but p much all I can do is subtractive sounds LOL

I kinda wish I could get something like the reface dx or volca fm even though I already have dexed and sytrus hehe....

Reactions: Buck

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ok. So if you watched the video in the spoiler, you will have learned how to make a simple vocal formant-y sound. Lets say you go rushing over to your favorite FM synth, like Oxe for me, or maybe Caustic's Modular. But alas, you encounter a problem: you cant raise the modulator pitch by 5 octaves! You might think, "well thats simple, just reduce the carrier octave by 1". This does not produce the result you expect, and while it does sound rather neat, you can't help but feel an emptiness inside of you. Have no fear, for there is still a way! Which i discovered completely by accident

You will need 4 operators chained in a linear fashion (op 1 is mod by op2, op2 by op3, and op3 by op4). Leave op1 and op2 alone, although you may consider changing op2 to a triangle wave for some added sharpness. Reduce the octave of op3 by 1, and INCREASE the octave of op4 by 4. Now, either adjust the volume of op2 or, if its that kind of FM synth, adjust the FM amount between op2 and op1. It should produce the result you were hoping for, allowing you to now make Seamless style FM basses. I have an image here of Caustic's Modular as an example, hopefully you can understand how it is supposed to work. If not, ill probably make a video on FM stuffs once i get my new laptop. Thanks for reading.
Screenshot_2016-05-24-14-47-50.png

Screenshot_2016-05-24-14-48-21.png
The image of this preset is incomplete. If you aren't sure how to finish it, PM me.