Free Alternative to Adobe After Effects

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hi your local plebeian scum here!

Are there any free or reasonably priced programs similar to after effects?? nothing over 30-40$
mainly im just looking for something to make audio visualizers and intros/demo videos/PVs

stuff similar to this is what im looking to do:

any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
There's the following:
- Blender: can do some visual effects, but idk about sound visuals. Mainly for 3d modelling. Free and cross-platform.

- DebugMode Wax: again, idk about sound visuals. To be frank, it's very limited and from what i've seen, the few effects it does have are all cheap looking and akin to the 90's. Free and cross-platform.

AviUtil: i don't have experience with this program and the interface is difficult to get around for me personally. The way everything's separated makes me think of the default UI for GIMP. I've heard good things about it though. Free and i think windows only.

Aside from these, you're not going to find much else. After Effects and what it's for is very niche and other programs similar to it are just as expensive (because it's for professionals).

Reactions: sailor _ravioli

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
There's the following:
- Blender: can do some visual effects, but idk about sound visuals. Mainly for 3d modelling. Free and cross-platform.

- DebugMode Wax: again, idk about sound visuals. To be frank, it's very limited and from what i've seen, the few effects it does have are all cheap looking and akin to the 90's. Free and cross-platform.

AviUtil: i don't have experience with this program and the interface is difficult to get around for me personally. The way everything's separated makes me think of the default UI for GIMP. I've heard good things about it though. Free and i think windows only.

Aside from these, you're not going to find much else. After Effects and what it's for is very niche and other programs similar to it are just as expensive (because it's for professionals).
thanks for the suggestions! i might go with aviutl since its the best option visual effects wise but i do agree with you that the interface is difficult to get around but im sure ill get used to it

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you already own FL Studio, the recent update (12.3) added a new version of ZGameVisualizer, which I haven't personally tested but is possible to make music videos with audio visualizers.

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
If you already own FL Studio, the recent update (12.3) added a new version of ZGameVisualizer, which I haven't personally tested but is possible to make music videos with audio visualizers.
aa cool! i think i saw something on that awhile ago
i own the demo version tho so hopefully i can try it!

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
HitFilm4 Express is a really powerful tool and I think it's the absolute best alternative to Adobe After Effects that I've seen! There's also Blackmagic Fusion! Blackmagic Fusion is probably the closest alternative, but I've only really used HitFilm. ^^; Both of these I feel are the best, visual effects wise and feature-wise. They're actually also studio-level products... And they're free.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
HitFilm4 Express is a really powerful tool and I think it's the absolute best alternative to Adobe After Effects that I've seen! There's also Blackmagic Fusion! Blackmagic Fusion is probably the closest alternative, but I've only really used HitFilm. ^^; Both of these I feel are the best, visual effects wise and feature-wise. They're actually also studio-level products... And they're free.
HOW DID I FORGET. YES. THIS.

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
ive used hitfilm before and while its very nice i was looking for something to add an audio visualizer but thanks for the suggestion!! 'v'
also ive never heard of Blackmagic Fusion i looked it up and it looks so nice ill definitely have to give it a try!

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
You can generate an audio waveform with soniccandle or download a plug-in then import it into HitFilm4. That's what I did for my (albeit lazy and lame) video for Convergence!

Reactions: Tema

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It might be a little outside your budget, but for 49.99, you could buy the lifetime license of Filmora. It's not the fanciest program in the world (can't make your own composition and the selection is limited), but it has some nice overlay effects, transitions, subtitling (I find this kind of clunky in comparison to creating and timing subs in sony vegas), and green screen for imported things like audio visualizers (a la sonic candle). You can also buy overlay packs for more visual effects (or youtube for overlays, download, import, and green screen). It doesn't require any significant mental gymnastics to use since the UI is pretty straightforward. Try the trial before buying - ofc (full featured, but the trial will render with a huge watermark, so I wouldn't release a video without having bought it first to eliminate that - just make a couple of test videos for yourself).