French R?

dyne 智優

Shoutbox Lurker™
Defender of Defoko
Hullo, hullo!
Now I'm just going to be straightforward, what /r/ should I use when it comes to recording a French voicebank? Should I go for ya-boy uvular approximants [ʁ] and [χ]? How about their trilled counterpart, the voiced uvular trill [ʀ] à la Édith Piaf?

And speaking about trills, would you recommend for or against the alveolar trill [r] (aka Spanish <rr>) ? Maybe I could go a step further and go for the universal tap [ɾ] (as in butter) ?

Then, what are your reasons behind your recommendations? Would it aid in preserving the quality of my recordings (given that some Rs are harsher than others which may result in a more distorted sample) ? Would it sound more diverse genre-wise?

I'd be more than glad if a French native were to answer this since I've heard about the alveolar sets being too "peasant-ish" and I'd be certainly delighted to hear your comments regarding the aforementioned statement, but anyone deemed experienced enough in francophonie phonology and culture should suffice as well!

boi ngl i think this deserves to be on a language forum, not here but whatever lmao

Last edited:

Melomad

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hullo, hullo!
Now I'm just going to be straightforward, what /r/ should I use when it comes to recording a French voicebank? Should I go for ya-boy uvular approximants [ʁ] and [χ]? How about their trilled counterpart, the voiced uvular trill [ʀ] à la Édith Piaf?

And speaking about trills, would you recommend for or against the alveolar trill [r] (aka Spanish <rr>) ? Maybe I could go a step further and go for the universal tap [ɾ] (as in butter) ?

Then, what are your reasons behind your recommendations? Would it aid in preserving the quality of my recordings (given that some Rs are harsher than others which may result in a more distorted sample) ? Would it sound more diverse genre-wise?

I'd be more than glad if a French native were to answer this since I've heard about the alveolar sets being too "peasant-ish" and I'd be certainly delighted to hear your comments regarding the aforementioned statement, but anyone deemed experienced enough in francophonie phonology and culture should suffice as well!

boi ngl i think this deserves to be on a language forum, not here but whatever lmao
Hello, I'm French and I've made voicebanks in French.
Most of the time, the [ʁ] is the way to go. The [ʀ] was used in the old days and is no longer used in modern French, unless the person speaking is from Brussels which is heavily influenced by Flemish.
If you have any other questions about French pronounciation, I'm here to help!

Reactions: dyne 智優

dyne 智優

Shoutbox Lurker™
Defender of Defoko
Hello, I'm French and I've made voicebanks in French.
Most of the time, the [ʁ] is the way to go. The [ʀ] was used in the old days and is no longer used in modern French, unless the person speaking is from Brussels which is heavily influenced by Flemish.
If you have any other questions about French pronounciation, I'm here to help!
aaa thanks for helping me out!!! ^^

Reactions: Melomad

Alessandra

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hullo, hullo!

Where are you from? Because maybe I could find some near concept regarding the r