[FVSS] How do you want tuning to work in Fluid?

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
Since I'm making this software for Utau users, I'd figure it'd be wise to ask how your ideal workflow for creating and tuning with it. I have a few ideas:
  • Tuning method #1: There is one view in which you create, edit and tune with. You access the pitch, envelope and property controls by right-clicking the note you want to edit. You can have multiple menus open at the same time, and can pin them to the right side of the window.
  • Tuning method #2: There are two separate views; one for creating notes and editing lyrics, and one for tuning. The pitch and envelope controls are not accessible in the editing view, and you cannot edit notes (besides perhaps length) in the tuning view. By doing this however, you can overlay pitch curves and envelopes directly on the notes, allowing for easy editing as you don't have to worry about accidentally adjusting the envelopes and pitches when you're adding notes and lyrics. Properties will be visible on the right of the GUI. A variation on this is to have the same style of pitch & envelope editing, but combined into one view. This sounds better, but has its own issues: Since there has to be editing and tuning functionality at the same time, it might result in a less intuitive interface. It also has the issue of accidentally hitting the extra curves while moving notes, making users slow down in order to keep this from mapping.
  • Tuning method #3: There is one view in which you create, edit and tune with. You access the pitch and envelope controls via a panel above or below the main editing space. Properties will be visible on a separate panel or menu. This method is similar in nature to Vocaloid.
Please share what would be your favorite tuning method, and what variations you think would be convenient.

EDIT: I'd like to say that I'm really leaning towards to the second option. Obviously if everyone hates this one I won't do it (although I can't imagine why - it's pretty similar to Utau).

Last edited:

Mametchi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The way pitch tuning is done in UTAU is the way I prefer it. Envelopes being in a panel under the piano roll is also very nice! But I feel like pitch should be kept to the piano roll itself since then I know what exactly I'm doing the bends.

Reactions: kamonohashi
P

partial

I prefer the third option, but only if there is something similar to "pitch render" in Vocaloid. I'd like to see what I'm doing on the piano roll.

Reactions: Zoku

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
With my memory, separate views and windows can really hurt my workflow. When I pull up those tools, I sometimes lose focus of what I was doing and forget--especially if I accidentally select the wrong note. I can also see this happening with separate views if they look radically different, like the difference between mode 1 and 2 in utau. The vocaloid interface seems more intimidating to beginners but I feel it's very efficient and encourages more experimentation. Of course, similar interfaces between programs adds some continuity, but I wouldn't want a carbon copy of commercial software. Vocal synth can be used in any number of ways.

When it comes to testing, it doesn't matter too much until later. The primary goal at first is simply making sure the basic concepts work, and then you can build on them.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
When it comes to testing, it doesn't matter too much until later. The primary goal at first is simply making sure the basic concepts work, and then you can build on them.

I would assume that the reason Kinetic is asking us about this here and now is because he's actually reached the point where it's an important thing to consider.

I like the second option, so long as the two views aren't jarringly different. The idea reminds me of Ableton Live's piano roll, which has separate views for editing the notes themselves and for automating the parameters of the midi clip. I think it's a workflow that will work, since it mimics how I handle the Chipspeech editing process and UST-creation process.

Keeping the properties of the note constantly visible in a sidebar may take up a lot of space, but if it doesn't, it'll be a lot friendlier than having to right click and bring up the window all the time.

I would, however, prefer to have envelopes be in a bottom bar, like Vocaloid's dynamics or UTAU-Synth envelopes, rather than directly on the note. It's much easier to see the transition between volumes when they're in a single line than if they're each on different pitches.

Reactions: Zoku