Gear grinding Utau cover artist tendencies.

Thatguy 2nd

Ruko's Ruffians
I wonder if y'all have the same pet peeves:

Things that are an insta turnoff for me with covers:

Loud ass leads
Octave harmonies where there doesn't need to be (more common than you think)
4/4 usts for songs in swings
That weird tone utau tuning has when used anytime honestly. (I dont know how to describe it other than, it sounds like watery, slurred, etc. I really only see it when people pitchbend) Maybe its from poor mixig, I dont know.
The lead is in the wrong key (I still dont get that one, like, how does the person adding the vocals not here that)
UST with wrong timing but everyone still uses it.
When the harmonies are as loud as the lead even though they are not in the original song.

I get it, there are new users. These are just things I cant get past for the life of me. Tell me how yall really feel? This isnt supposed to harbor ill hate btw so dont come at my ass being like, "Your just spreading hate" or something like that

dezzydream

cv bank enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
When people don't bother to mix.

Here's a Vocaloid one: I hate it when people cover songs in other languages with Japanese Vocaloids. I love the idea, but most people don't use the handy phoneme editor. For example, you could be making Iroha sing "sing." Most covers, it would sound like [S i][n]. I love to see people use the phonemes to make the English sound understandable, like [s i N], so it sounds more like English.

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I hate when people use voicebanks like Namine Ritsu Kire or perhaps worst; Hakaine Maiko, for soft songs like Hello, How Are You. Also, I reallllly dislike when those that make Utau/Vocaloid choruses of songs choose voices way too soft. Maybe it's because some people just take covers and mash them together, since oftentimes there's a quality imbalance, like some tuning is outstanding while another is a plug-and-play with a voice that wasn't a good choice in the first place. Like, Lost One's Weeping could have a chorus and use strong voices like Gumi Power then have really weak, kind of boring voices(considering a song like this, I mean) like Mayu or something.

I also don't like covers where they kind of let you down. For example, a while back I was listening to a Circles cover by a multipitch Utau, but this quality did not seem to be initialized, as in during the high notes she would sing kind of low and flat, and just left a sort of disappointing feeling after the moment of buildup :sad:

And having certain language voicebanks, be it Vocaloid or Utau, singing a language completely unlike their own is a bit of a pet peeve for me. Instead of having Japanese voicebanks sing Korean it'd be nice for there to be more Korean voicebanks instead, plus there's really nitpicky language fundamentals for each that'll sound weird, like Korean having sounds Japanese doesn't really have, along with accents and all that.

WinterdrivE

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
the time signature can be set to 3/4 as well, but its just a GUI setting; it doesn't do anything to the file itself. As such, this setting isn't saved to the UST, and has to be changed every time you open it.

But swing denotes how the beats are subdivided, which is independent of the time signature. It is possible (and probably more common, for that matter) to have a song in 4/4 that is swung, but also possible for a song in 3/4 to be swung. In DAW/VOCALOID/UTAU terms, the time signature is the time signature setting (4/4, 3/4, 6/8 etc), and swung or straight eighths is the quantize/length setting. They exist independently of each other.

Loud leads, i agree, and i feel like this goes back to mixing.

Wrong key and wrong timing I also agree, but honestly its probably because some people legitimately don't hear that its wrong.

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
When people make covers where its like 1/10 instrumental, 4/10 lead vocals and 5/10 harmonies. Just how can someone not notice that sounds bad?
Granted I tend to make my harmonies loud as well, but never louder than the lead vocals. Just loud enough that they enhance the leadvocals...i mean loud harmonies are my trademark meanwhile xD my -P name would probs be Harmony-P

Melomad

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
My only pet peeve is extreme tuning.
Like really deep/high slopes in the tuning. It can sounds good when you know what your doing but otherwise it's eeeeeh ...

Reactions: kimchi-tan

Dangosan

Jellie Bellie Pete Rat Gummie Candie
Defender of Defoko
What irks me about covers? Let me see:
  • bad harmony mixing. I've heard Mimi no Aru Robot no Uta being killed countless times by bad mixing;
  • people who don't remove slurs from their VCV covers. There are tools now which can make VCVs sound like Vocaloids.

Thatguy 2nd

Ruko's Ruffians
UTAU can't set the midi time sig to anything other than 4/4
Yes you can still use triplets as a work around.

Also something im starting to hate that I see the Utau cover fandom do ALOT is the frequent post of wips but no actual cover. Like a few wips are okay, but when your whole repetoir is wips I get annoyed, unless they specify that the channel is a wip channel.

Last edited:

Dangosan

Jellie Bellie Pete Rat Gummie Candie
Defender of Defoko
@Melomad Most VCV covers have a robotic, Autotune-ish whine. Why? Because the oto is "bad". Nowadays, there are better wavtools that can deal with "bad" otos and there is presamp which can give you Vocaloid-quality results if used together with moresampler. Both of these tools were designed with "bad" otos in mind. Before these tools were available, I hated standard VCV otos with a passion. I would always edit the oto so the voicebank won't have the whine. This comes with a price, however: timing discrepancies.

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I'm guilty of doing a lot of these things... Oops. Between the harmonies and my UTAU (whose recordings are slurred anyway), my SC would be torture to you xD
My pet peeves are incorrect timing and plug-and-plays/tuning a song that doesn't need to be. Some songs sound better with no tuning, while others sound too bland like that.

Thatguy 2nd

Ruko's Ruffians
Yes you can still use triplets as a work around
@Melomad Most VCV covers have a robotic, Autotune-ish whine. Why? Because the oto is "bad". Nowadays, there are better wavtools that can deal with "bad" otos and there is presamp which can give you Vocaloid-quality results if used together with moresampler. Both of these tools were designed with "bad" otos in mind. Before these tools were available, I hated standard VCV otos with a passion. I would always edit the oto so the voicebank won't have the whine. This comes with a price, however: timing discrepancies.
Is that that tone you get when you pitchbend in utau that I was talking about in my first post?

P

partial

This is more of a Vocaloid thing, but when people don't edit the VSQx at all to better suit the Vocaloid (or the UST to better suit the UTAU).

When I had covers up and VSQx files on my YouTube, the edited VSQx was always edited specifically for Len - untuned versions were included for other Vocaloids to use.

Please y'all, edit your files to match the intended voicebank--

P

partial

Another (more Vocaloid related) thing is when people use breathiness and clearness.
Why would you ever use BRE and CLE at once, especially when they're both maxed out like I commonly hear OTL

It can sound good in small amounts, but when I do hear it it often sounds like this

Thatguy 2nd

Ruko's Ruffians
Another (more Vocaloid related) thing is when people use breathiness and clearness.
Why would you ever use BRE and CLE at once, especially when they're both maxed out like I commonly hear OTL

It can sound good in small amounts, but when I do hear it it often sounds like this
It kinda worked in Futari de. Maybe people arent mixing it well enough (or at all)

Oh a good one:
Excessive Vibrato. Like, Oh my god.

Reactions: partial

Thatguy 2nd

Ruko's Ruffians
Oh my god, How could I forget?
Long ass descriptions for covers.
Like they get so detailed in the amount of work they did for one cover.

Another:
Not linking the original upload/linking to the channel of someone who distributed a UST etc.
I didnt use to mind but I realize how annoying it is now

Reactions: partial