HELP! UTAU won't sing!

Aria (´・ω・`)

Momo's Minion
I've tried everything. Downloading the tools needed, the vb (gahata meiji) doesn't seem to have any problems, but it just still won't sing.
I've even changed my system locale to japanese.

Last edited:

Aria (´・ω・`)

Momo's Minion
Here are a few images
Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
if your computer is european you might want to see if the format settings has a "." instead of ",".
to get there you have to go controllpannel>clock, region and language>region and language then hit the more/advanced settings on the format tab. Its the decimal setting you need to look at and change if its ",".

Aria (´・ω・`)

Momo's Minion
my decimal setting is '.'

It must be a problem with the vb itself. I've heard from others that Gahata was hard to use. In fact, I downloaded her fantasy vcv and was a liitle confused to see all the recorded pitches without names telling me which one is which (hunter, fairy, lillith). The only things that were given to me to make it easier to differentiate were kanjis like "弱", "強" and "旧" or arrows like ↑ and ↓.

Last edited by a moderator:

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
have you tried adding one of those with the suffixbroker? it will add the kanji at the end of each note, making the program read the samples with that alias. example if I want to use Teto's sakebi bank I have to add "↑".

Aria (´・ω・`)

Momo's Minion
No, I haven't tried it yet. But to make it clear, her files had those kanjis and arrows, making it hard for me to tell which one is her power(hunter), soft (fairy) and feminine (lillith) vbs. And they won't work on UTAU. They had otos, though. So, I can't figure out what's wrong. Every youtube tutorial I've seen sucks and they just ramble about complete nothings or add loud music to them which makes me go 'ugh, I came here to watch tutorials, not listen to music!' :/

I should've learnt how to use CV vbs first, but I love Gahata so much. :P

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
No, I haven't tried it yet. But to make it clear, her files had those kanjis and arrows, making it hard for me to tell which one is her power(hunter), soft (fairy) and feminine (lillith) vbs. And they won't work on UTAU. They had otos, though. So, I can't figure out what's wrong. Every youtube tutorial I've seen sucks and they just ramble about complete nothings or add loud music to them which makes me go 'ugh, I came here to watch tutorials, not listen to music!' :/

Only one way to find out which one is which. listen do one of each kanji sample and then note which means which.

Any bank with the abilety of using multiple appends in one ust arent newbie friendly im afraid.
I can try and find some tutorials on the thing if you want to, and if I can't find any I can try and explain it in PM.

OcarinaLink24

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko

If you've changed your locale after you've downloaded UTAU then it's too late. You need to uninstall the program, and then reinstall it with a Japanese locale. With a non-Japanese locale the program won't read katakna

Based on your pictures it doesn't look like you're using the shareware version of UTAU. I recommend looking into that because the automatic VCV chaining button can adjust that stuff for you manually.

And in my opinion, Meiji's fantasy is kind of a mess for tuning wise. I recommend either looking at the sharware version, adding the symbols manually (in which case you should take a look at this plug-in because it makes that sooo much easier) or using a different one of Meiji's banks. The new-user friendly way if you want it to switch between appends is you can render them separately and put them together in audacity.

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
its quicker to use suffixbroker if you're only going to use one bank imo. but for small edits like the video example, that plugin is definetively better.

Aria (´・ω・`)

Momo's Minion
If you've changed your locale after you've downloaded UTAU then it's too late. You need to uninstall the program, and then reinstall it with a Japanese locale. With a non-Japanese locale the program won't read katakna

Based on your pictures it doesn't look like you're using the shareware version of UTAU. I recommend looking into that because the automatic VCV chaining button can adjust that stuff for you manually.

And in my opinion, Meiji's fantasy is kind of a mess for tuning wise. I recommend either looking at the sharware version, adding the symbols manually (in which case you should take a look at this plug-in because it makes that sooo much easier) or using a different one of Meiji's banks. The new-user friendly way if you want it to switch between appends is you can render them separately and put them together in audacity.

Um, there's a shareware ver? I am using the 0.4.18e version that I downloaded from utau's website.Other than the fact that the interface is 80% english, what's the difference?

Last edited:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you're new to using UTAU, I wouldn't recommend banks like Meiji that have appends within one bank. Working with one individual bank at a time is easier before you get to switching between different voice expressions in a single ust. And yes, there is a shareware version (the developer needs to eat too, after all - and paying for the shareware version helps in development for the program overall). It's approximately $29.18.
http://www.dlmarket.jp/products/detail.php?products_id=51852

The difference between shareware and the free version is that the shareware version automatically converts to vcv and shows velocity of the notes as they play - free version requires a plugin. If you don't have the money for shareware, then using a plugin to convert to vcv (there's more than one: lyric diphonizer, iroiro, autocvvc) and the prefix/suffix selector should help. If you haven't already, then you should uninstall utau, download the installer again (don't use the same installer from before, don't use applocale, make sure you have japanese locale, decimal as a period, and restart if you didn't before). Use the new installer to put UTAU back on your machine.

OcarinaLink24

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Um, there's a shareware ver? I am using the 0.4.18e version that I downloaded from utau's website.Other than the fact that the interface is 80% english, what's the difference?
I've outlined the differences in a few dA posts here (albeit I'm still in the dark about that exclamation point XD)
http://ocarinalink24.deviantart.com/art/Shareware-Features-1-514841332
http://ocarinalink24.deviantart.com/art/Shareware-Features-2-514841358
http://ocarinalink24.deviantart.com/art/Shareware-Features-3-514841380
The plug-ins for conversion don't automatically set the right pitches though (as in ↑ symbols, etc.), at least I haven't found one that does. The shareware version does however, and is definitely worth looking into, but not necessary. I find it extremely helpful for Meiji specifically.
You could also do it this way, but it's kind of a pain in the butt XD http://utau.wikia.com/wiki/UTAU_User_Manual_-_13

If you're new to using UTAU, I wouldn't recommend banks like Meiji that have appends within one bank. Working with one individual bank at a time is easier before you get to switching between different voice expressions in a single ust. And yes, there is a shareware version (the developer needs to eat too, after all - and paying for the shareware version helps in development for the program overall). It's approximately $29.18.

The difference between shareware and the free version is that the shareware version automatically converts to vcv and shows velocity of the notes as they play - free version requires a plugin. If you don't have the money for shareware, then using a plugin to convert to vcv (there's more than one: lyric diphonizer, iroiro, autocvvc) and the prefix/suffix selector should help. If you haven't already, then you should uninstall utau, download the installer again (don't use the same installer from before, don't use applocale, make sure you have japanese locale, decimal as a period, and restart if you didn't before). Use the new installer to put UTAU back on your machine.

There's a bit more to the shareware version than that, like being able to use UTAUs saved as a .uar file and it also shows a bit of volume functions to aid with tuning.
(Copy-pasted from above in case you don't see it) The plug-ins for conversion don't automatically set the right pitches though (as in ↑ symbols, etc.), at least I haven't found one that does. Definitely worth looking into, but not necessary. I find it extremely helpful for Meiji specifically. If there is a plug-in that sets the right pitches then I'd be really interested in what it is owo The shareware version is only about 75% accurate for that.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Being a newbie I would not recommend you dive deep into this confusing mess of shareware, plugins, multipitches, suffixes, and VCV.

You should work your way up from simpler banks so that you can gain a better overall understanding of UTAU and someday master using Gahata Meiji.

Here's a simple voicebank to try using, please see if it works well on your setup.

http://utaforum.net/showcase/sayuri-tsukine.101/
The download link on the page will give you the free edition.

Aria (´・ω・`)

Momo's Minion
Being a newbie I would not recommend you dive deep into this confusing mess of shareware, plugins, multipitches, suffixes, and VCV.

You should work your way up from simpler banks so that you can gain a better overall understanding of UTAU and someday master using Gahata Meiji.

Here's a simple voicebank to try using, please see if it works well on your setup.

http://utaforum.net/showcase/sayuri-tsukine.101/
The download link on the page will give you the free edition.
Guess I'll give it a try. I just never liked the robotic sounds of CV. I've tried to make Defoko sing. Man, she was a pain in the butt to tune. >_<''''''

I've outlined the differences in a few dA posts here (albeit I'm still in the dark about that exclamation point XD)
http://ocarinalink24.deviantart.com/art/Shareware-Features-1-514841332
http://ocarinalink24.deviantart.com/art/Shareware-Features-2-514841358
http://ocarinalink24.deviantart.com/art/Shareware-Features-3-514841380
The plug-ins for conversion don't automatically set the right pitches though (as in ↑ symbols, etc.), at least I haven't found one that does. The shareware version does however, and is definitely worth looking into, but not necessary. I find it extremely helpful for Meiji specifically.
You could also do it this way, but it's kind of a pain in the butt XD http://utau.wikia.com/wiki/UTAU_User_Manual_-_13

There's a bit more to the shareware version than that, like being able to use UTAU (plural) saved as a .uar file and it also shows a bit of volume functions to aid with tuning.
(Copy-pasted from above in case you don't see it) The plug-ins for conversion don't automatically set the right pitches though (as in ↑ symbols, etc.), at least I haven't found one that does. Definitely worth looking into, but not necessary. I find it extremely helpful for Meiji specifically. If there is a plug-in that sets the right pitches then I'd be really interested in what it is owo The shareware version is only about 75% accurate for that.

have you tried adding one of those with the suffixbroker? it will add the kanji at the end of each note, making the program read the samples with that alias. example if I want to use Teto's sakebi bank I have to add "↑".

Thanks for the tips, I've learnt a lot in just a few days! ( sorry I've never got the chance to reply much.) (^_^)

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Guess I'll give it a try. I just never liked the robotic sounds of CV. I've tried to make Defoko sing. Man, she was a pain in the butt to tune. >_<''''''
Defoko's not the average UTAU bank and is another bank I wouldn't recommend using at this stage. Her voice is originally from another synthesizer (Aquestone) and was given permission to be ported to UTAU. Her default oto is poorly configured and even with proper configuration, she'll never completely sound human. As for other banks that are CV, they are often robotic due to otoing and recording practices that don't lend fluidity to the voice. The bank Adlez suggested to you will be more fluid than the average CV and should be easy to learn to work with without any need to touch the oto.

OcarinaLink24

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko

Thanks for the tips, I've learnt a lot in just a few days! ( sorry I've never got the chance to reply much.) (^_^)
No prob Bob ^^ If you need any help with anything else feel free to message me~

Defoko's not the average UTAU bank and is another bank I wouldn't recommend using at this stage. Her voice is originally from another synthesizer (Aquestone) and was given permission to be ported to UTAU. Her default oto is poorly configured and even with proper configuration, she'll never completely sound human. As for other banks that are CV, they are often robotic due to otoing and recording practices that don't lend fluidity to the voice. The bank Adlez suggested to you will be more fluid than the average CV and should be easy to learn to work with without any need to touch the oto.
Absolutely true. With the right bank and a lot of practice you can make a CV bank sound just as fluid as a VCV....a lot of practice XD

YuukoFea

Momo's Minion
I'm having the same problem, except I downloaded lilith, fairy, and hunter separately. None of them want to sing and I'm not new to UTAU I just... can't seem to figure it out at all!

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm having the same problem, except I downloaded lilith, fairy, and hunter separately. None of them want to sing and I'm not new to UTAU I just... can't seem to figure it out at all!
(not my place to say this but I will anyways)
I see that you have posted in two different threads.
Please don't do that, especially with older threads. It's bad forum etiquette.

People will be more likely to help you if you post a new thread and explain your situation/setup as completely as possible.

OcarinaLink24

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
(not my place to say this but I will anyways)
I see that you have posted in two different threads.
Please don't do that, especially with older threads. It's bad forum etiquette.

People will be more likely to help you if you post a new thread and explain your situation/setup as completely as possible.

Yup, and for future reference make sure you set it up correctly. Hunter Fairy and Lilith all have suffixes