HELP WITH FRQs

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Hello! I started working on a VCV bank, but I am getting some problems with the frequency files. While they seems to generate and work finely. However when I use them on low notes/add low pitchbends there comes a...strange sound. I am almost sure the problem is on the FRQ files, however I dont know how do they work properly. I messed around using FRQEditor, but aligning all the frequency points make noises.

So, could someone tell me how do the FRQ files work and what should be done to fix? Like, for "low notes problems, you do this."?

Thanks!!!

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
Can you post pictures of the frqs so we can see if there's a problem with it or not? It usually is an erratic orange line or a sudden drop in it. And how low is low? Can you give an example?

Also about the sounding weird on low notes. Speech synthesis based resamplers usually have issues with pitching down notes and UTAU is no stranger to this. So, for example, if you record your bank at F4, if you try to use it at F3 or lower (depending on how the mic is recorded), it would generate a weird sound with the sample since it's going outside of its range (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The only way to fix this is to record extra pitches to allow the bank to go lower without creating extra noise.

Flags tend to work sometimes depending on the bank as well (Y, H, C and F are really good for helping with clarity and stuff) and sometimes help with that pitch probably. So, just play around with it and see how your bank works.

UTAU should give the logical range of your bank (its usually 6 semitones up and six semitones down from your recorded pitch. For example, a bank recorded at C3 usually has a logical range of D2 -> B3 or there about). You can find this out by clicking the icon at the top left (the utau you loaded) and it should give the logical range with the average frequency of the bank as well. This will help with keeping your bank within a range where it works well and not give errors.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Mougeki Mero

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Thank you a lot!! I can't post a pic at the moment, but after reading you message I noticed some things:

1-On all of them, the start of the notes give the "weird" sound when pitched down. So it leads me to think again it is the frq file :P

2-It is not out of range...or shouldnt be. The bank is indeed recorded in F4 (how did you guess? XD) and there are problems like on A3. B3 above everything sounds perfect.

I hope this gives some idea on what is happening. I know the best would be take a picture, but I have school and tests so I cannot at the moment!!

On a side note, I and my voicer are working on recording a low pitch too. The bank is intended to be tripitch X3 I hope those othe pitches help fix the problems :sad:

Reactions: VocAddict

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
Just a guess lol.

If it works perfectly from B3 up, then it's not an issue with the frq file but that it's a problem with the resampler. Resamplers hate pitching downwards which is why you end up with it sounding weird.

If I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it has to do with the fact that it's trying to pitch down a sample. It's trying to do this from one pitch so the formants (I think I spelt that wrong) get distorted a bit and the rendered sample ends up sounding weird.

This is just my understanding of it based on my personal experience and I'm sure there's a better explanation somewhere lol. The only way I know how to fix this is recording a lower pitch to remove the issue or just make good use of your flags and resamplers since they react differently to different banks. Though it won't solve the problem, it might help with the noise. ^^

Explanation of frq files. Anyone feel free to add to this.

A frq file basically holds the pitch information about a sample. For example, of you record 'ka' at C3, when you generate the frq file for that sample, it would generate a file that will say that sample is at C3. This is what UTAU uses when rendering files for a ust.

This is seen as an orange line when you go to edit your oto. It's mostly centred when you the sample is at the average frequency determined by UTAU but if a sample is recorded to sharp or to flat, it will deviate from the middle line.

When there's a frq error, you may notice the orange line being jagged or a part might spike oddly and when you render, it just sounds wrong. You will need to manually edit the frq (either directly in UTAU or with frqeditor) to fix that.

Consonants usually have a slight curve or bend on it as they don't have a fixed pitch (due to aspiration, etc) but the vowel part is what really carries the pitch of the sample. Frqeditor allows you to check for inconsistencies with a sample to help speed up fixing any errors you may encounter.

I hope that answers that question.

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Gq0hpsN.png

This is one of the samples that are giving me a problem...pls dont mind the oto...XD
Anyway, I notice this curve on the "a" sample. When I use it normal or with low pitchbends it kind of makes the note sound incorrectly. like this:

It only works on high pitchbends..the samples are 99,9% clear, I guarantee XD

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Hmm... have you tried it with another resampler? Like tips, fresamp or moresampler?
Yes...

Moresampler: Works well and it is almost unnoticeable.
TIPS: It is easily noticeable...still less noticeable than resampler tho.
Fresamp: Very noticeable just like resampler.

>v<

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
Well, you can send me the bank and I'll fix the frqs and send them back to you? Maybe the samples need to be rerecorded? I honestly don't know...

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Yes, you can have it (unfinished) here : http://sta.sh/0epw64owuzg

Discovered the logical range is very limied :O: E4~G#5. Thanks god my voicer is working on lower pitch samples...

Just please, ignore leftovers of other voicebank and the not otoed/frqed samples...>w< THANK YOU A LOT!

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
No problem! I'll get straight to it. ^^
[doublepost=1475800324][/doublepost]Here they are! I rendered it for all of the samples (since I got carried away) and corrected those that had issues. They seem to be okay on my side but if you encounter any issues, just message me and I'll send you a fixed one.

Attachments

• Hikako frq.zip
    256.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Mougeki Mero

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
No problem! I'll get straight to it. ^^
[doublepost=1475800324][/doublepost]Here they are! I rendered it for all of the samples (since I got carried away) and corrected those that had issues. They seem to be okay on my side but if you encounter any issues, just message me and I'll send you a fixed one.
Thank you a lot <3 They are perfect!!! No more glitched noise at all!! If I need more FRQs fixes in the future for this VB, can I send the VB to you? >v< Again thank you a lot >w<

Reactions: VocAddict

cynder-soulburn

Momo's Minion
Hey im also having major troubles with my databank too and Im not too sure what to do even known I have many people helping me out but I still am confused about the FRQ files and how to fix them if you could help out that would be amazing thanks