help with japanese cvvc oto?

Kat_chan

Teto's Territory
I don't understand one bit how to oto..... can someone please try to explain it better to me or oto it for me??? thanks! :love:

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
  • "- CV" and "- V"
if you're all ready familiar with VCV, then "- CV/- V" are for you no problem. This settings are just done like in VCV (e.g. - か, - あ etc).

Note: Not all Japanese CVVC has "- CV" settings.
  • "V V"
This are vowel+vowel recordings, this are for smooth transitions between two vowels: will oto same way than in VCV (e.g. "a い" "i ん" etc)

Note: Not all Japanese CVVC has "V V" settings but I encourage record this! This makes VB to sound smooth and easy-to-use it's almost a norm to CVVC to have VV
  • "V C"
This "V C" notes are used between two different "CV" to make translation from A sound to B sound smoother.
E.g. word "aka" (red) would be " あ " " a k " " か ", where " a k " is that "V C" sound. " a k " makes smooth translation between あ and か.

"V C" setting's Alias is always written in romaji.

If you record in tempo 120BPM with BGM guide, I have find this settings to be good:

Consonant (pink area): 270
Blank (left blue area): -300*
Preuttr (red line): 250
Overlap (green line): 83

*sometimes, you might need to make this shorter like -290 or -280 etc to fit better your recordings BUT if you do this just make sure that consonant (pink area) has always smaller absolute value than left blank (Same in easy English: make sure that you do not cover whole "V C" setting with pink and there are always small room for white area!!!). This is important because otherwise UTAU will very likely... crash.

Set Preuttr where just consonant begins like this:
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 14.16.17.png

However, if sound is any of this: k, ky, p, py, t, ty (and sometimes ch, ts and j depending of your accent), make sure that you do NOT hear any consonant sound and looking something like this
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 14.17.02.png
  • CV
Pretty much like how you would oto CV expect that you take the sound "middle" of recording. For K/T/P sounds, I personally like to use zero or minus 10 overlap settings (I usually do not use K/T/P's CV positive overlap).

I also recommend to look for AutoCVVC plug-in to make more CVVC faster, easier and fun to use. I probably didn't cover all your questions written in rush but I hope that this helped even tiny bit! ^^;

You can always ask more if needed but in next time make sure to post in "Help and Advise" board, thanks.

Last edited: