Help with quality improvements

Baka94

Ruko's Ruffians
Probably some time soon, I'll be making a new VB, but before I do that, I wanted to ask more experienced people, how I could improve the quality from what it is right now.

-Do I need a better microphone?
-What would be good for my voice type, if that matters?
-Should I edit the raw samples?
-What other things can I do to improve quality?

The current bank is CV, so it sounds bad in it's own way. The next bank will be non-Japanese CVVC bank (my accent doesn't matter here, but I will learn proper Japanese pronunciation when I make a Japanese VCV bank).
I added a VB download you want to take a look at individual samples/raw samples.

Voice clip:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h3aywivvrxxdf9d/JWVoiceClip.wav

VB:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jyordkkmxhyqgqi/JW+CV+v1.0.zip

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
You could make a box for your mic to reduce surrounding noise. Just find a box that will have room for you microphone and what you're gonna have on the inside walls. I cut foam for mine, but I think you can use other things like towels or clothes. I dont know how you're gonna make them stick thou..
Editing samples after recording is usefull if theres noise UTAU enhances. So make sure to have some silence before the samples so you can use that for noise removal. Keep in mind that it won't remove all of the noise, and too much of it will make your samples odd and muffled.

Pupperoni Pizza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
-Do I need a better microphone?
-What would be good for my voice type, if that matters?
-Should I edit the raw samples?
-What other things can I do to improve quality?

Depends, a better microphone and setup will help immensely in many situations.
What mic do you use currently and what would be your budget for a new mic?

voice type does not matter as long as you get the tonality correct. (Record in a singing tone)

the raw samples should only be edited if you have the skills to edit them correctly. editing the samples can either make them sound better if you know what you're doing, or absolutely ruined them if you do not.

Make sure you record in a room with minimal echo/reverb. you can check for this by walking towards your walls and clapping your hands.
also, you should make sure that your samples are decent length if possible.

Reactions: SoulTribute13

Baka94

Ruko's Ruffians
Depends, a better microphone and setup will help immensely in many situations.
What mic do you use currently and what would be your budget for a new mic?

The microphone I recorded the samples with seems to be Vocopro Mark CV-1. Apparently it seems to be a pretty good microphone (according to reviews), but they said that the wire that came with it was cheap, so I don't know how much that can affect the quality. I'm also using adapter to change the AUX jack size to smaller that fits my pc.

voice type does not matter as long as you get the tonality correct. (Record in a singing tone)

I actually meant the microphone type. The line was supposed to be indented, but apparently it isn't.

Pupperoni Pizza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The microphone I recorded the samples with seems to be Vocopro Mark CV-1. Apparently it seems to be a pretty good microphone (according to reviews), but they said that the wire that came with it was cheap, so I don't know how much that can affect the quality. I'm also using adapter to change the AUX jack size to smaller that fits my pc.

I actually meant the microphone type. The line was supposed to be indented, but apparently it isn't.
The vocopro is a lower end karaoke microphone, and the fact that it's plugged into your computer means that you were at the mercy of the built-in amplifier in your soundcard.
Built-in amplifiers are usually lackluster and are of very poor quality.

rather than replacing just the cable, I suggest a full replacement of the microphone.
I can always suggest a mic if you can tell me your budget, and even show you some options that would be better if you are willing to save up a little more.

in terms of microphone type, I recommend a large diaphragm condenser.
for this reason I would avoid microphone such as the at2020, at2035, and blue yeti.

Baka94

Ruko's Ruffians
The vocopro is a lower end karaoke microphone, and the fact that it's plugged into your computer means that you were at the mercy of the built-in amplifier in your soundcard.
Built-in amplifiers are usually lackluster and are of very poor quality.

rather than replacing just the cable, I suggest a full replacement of the microphone.
I can always suggest a mic if you can tell me your budget, and even show you some options that would be better if you are willing to save up a little more.

in terms of microphone type, I recommend a large diaphragm condenser.
for this reason I would avoid microphone such as the at2020, at2035, and blue yeti.

I was thinking of a budget around 60€ (~$66), but can probably go a little higher than that. One suggestion that I got was Blue Snowball. Would that be a good one?

Pupperoni Pizza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I wouldn't get a blir snowball, it's veey noisy.
There really isn't much in that price range and I am unsure of how much things are in your location.

If you link some mics you can afford, I can then tell you the best of the list.

Baka94

Ruko's Ruffians
I wouldn't get a blir snowball, it's veey noisy.
There really isn't much in that price range and I am unsure of how much things are in your location.

If you link some mics you can afford, I can then tell you the best of the list.

I usually order music related products from this site: http://www.thomann.de/gb
Here is a list of large diaphragm microphones if you want to see what microphones I can afford atm (should be sorted by prize):
http://www.thomann.de/gb/large_diaphragm_mics.html?oa=pra

Pretty much anything up to 70€ on that list I can afford right now, but I can probably go somewhere around 100€ if I save some more. What do you think is best option from this selection?

This is one microphone I think may be good for me:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_meteor.htm

I listened few microphone test recordings/reviews from YouTube and imo it sounds good. I'm not really going for studio quality or anything. At least something that gives better quality that the one I have now. CD quality should probably be enough for UTAU recordings.

Pupperoni Pizza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
In all honesty, the Samson Meteor has a bit of exagerated low end that makes the recordings sound quite a bit muffled.
Limiting yourself to just one store also limits your options.
In that price range your best bet would probably be between these three mics:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_c01u_black_b_stock.htm
and
http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_sc_440_usb_b_stock.htm
and
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_c1u.htm
The are "b-stock" items, meaning that they may be blemished or have any other cosmetic issue that prevents it from being sold as "factory new/fresh"
This otherwise does not matter as these mics still receive the same warranty and guarantee as a non-blimshed mic (and it's slightly cheaper)

The t.bone comes with a shockmount, which can be of great help to avoid causing bumps in thew recording. However, this shockmount appears to be quite cheap and I am not sure of thew benifits it may really have.
From what I have been able to find, it's recording quality is somewhat decent..but a tad dead, like deader than your phone. I have also found that it has a bit of self noise and the build quality is pretty shifty.
To me, it looks to be more of a VoIP/skype call mic dressed up to look like a "good" microphone.
I wouldn't recommend this.

Then there is the Samson C01U. The Samson is a much better mic in regards to the built quality. It comes with a really basic stand and that's it.
It's a bit congested sounding but better than sounding like a cadaver. You may be able to fix when mixing/editing the voice recording(s). You also have the option of buying it in a cheap $65* bundle with a shockmount. It's obviously still entry level, but it's half-decent considering it's price.

Then last is the Behringer C1U. The Behringer, in my opinion at least, is an improvement over the Samson.
The mic comes with a basic mount BUT NO STAND, you will need to buy your own stand if you do not already have one.
It's a bit clearer than the Samson and has a bit less noise when recording and as you can guess is also slightly more expensive than the Samson.
if you need a shockmount, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AYFETM/?tag=utau-20 this should fit okay (make sure you remove the ref from the link so Hentai can't milk pocket change if you buy from amazon LOL)

So I would recommend the Behringer C1U for a cheap mic, it's not AMAZING....but it doesn't try to be....
I would consider this a decent, cheap usb mic and actually wouldn't recommend getting anything more expensive than this as most usb mics beyond this are just a scam.**
If you are able to save up and hold off, you can get really nice xlr mics with an interface in the $150_ range. I understand it you have no intentions to go that high in price.

For a stand, a floor stand would be good to avoid desk movement. But otherwise any cheap, weighted desk stand will do.

*It's either $65 or $100...which is completely not worth it at that price...
**with exception.

sorry for the long response, I know it's unnecessary.

Baka94

Ruko's Ruffians
Don't say your long post was unnecessary :c
It was actually very useful. You took the time to actually tell your thoughts on each of the microphones you recommend for me instead of just saying "get this microphone because it's good".
I think I'll get the Behringer C1U microphone and get a stand for it. I'll take a look at few other sites and local music stores and see where it's cheapest to get (though as far as I know local music stores have a little higher prices than web stores, but it's worth checking too). By the way, do you think I should also get a pop filter?

Pupperoni Pizza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Yes, You should definitely get a pop filter.
You should be able to get a really cheap one as an add-on on amazon.