How can I improve on my mixing?

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko

So that's my most recent cover done all by myself. Overall its probably my best mixing I've done by myself without help, but I'd like to ask you guys how to improve! And if you'd like tell me what you think about the cover in general ^^
BOTH FL STUDIO AND AUDACITY WERE USED TO MIX
Thanks! <3

Last edited:

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
The vocals are a little loud and are drowning out the bgm a bit, there needs to be some balance between the two.
Also, you might wanna add what program/plugins you use for mixing to the OP.

Reactions: Zoku

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
The vocals are a little loud and are drowning out the bgm a bit, there needs to be some balance between the two.
Also, you might wanna add what program/plugins you use for mixing to the OP.
True true (I was scared of the bgm being too loud so i typically make the vocals too loud rip lol) And I used both Audacity and FL Studio (I'll add that real quick thanks lol)

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
The vox is loud and ear piercing. Drop the level and do a wide cut around 2.5khz, especially with that second voice that sounds like "meow meow meow" (don't mock me lol....). The reverb that comes in around 2:15 is obvious and tacky sounding.

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
The vox is loud and ear piercing. Drop the level and do a wide cut around 2.5khz, especially with that second voice that sounds like "meow meow meow" (don't mock me lol....). The reverb that comes in around 2:15 is obvious and tacky sounding.

Okay I understand the vocals are very loud but could you please not make fun of my voicebank...? I was asking the mixing not to say my utau sounds like a freakin cat...

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Mixing can help to improve the sound of a voicebank.
Kinetic mentioned a "meowing" sound just as a point of reference, not as an insult. Do try to see the good intent in people's messages.

I'd like to know more about your current level of understanding regarding mixing, so that advice can be catered to your needs. What did you use in Audacity and FL Studio for the OP version of the mix?

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
Okay I understand the vocals are very loud but could you please not make fun of my voicebank...? I was asking the mixing not to say my utau sounds like a freakin cat...
I wasn't referring to the sound of your voicebank. I was referring to the lyrics of a certain part, since I don't understand the Japanese at all and that's kinda what it sounded like to me.

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I wasn't referring to the sound of your voicebank. I was referring to the lyrics of a certain part, since I don't understand the Japanese at all and that's kinda what it sounded like to me.
Oh okay. I apologize for taking it the wrong way ;; but I do agree the "ra" notes are messed up since I never can pronounce them correctly when doing CV banks (for some reason it's easier through VCV for pronunciation )
[doublepost=1487730396][/doublepost]
The reverb is a little strong. That's the only problem I see other than her oto being off.
If you'd like me to tidy up her oto, I'll do it for free.
Yeah true... and her oto has been continously sent to many others and been "fixed up" And i still get others saying it's off. But if you'd like to try yourself I can message you the mediafire link
[doublepost=1487730635][/doublepost]
Mixing can help to improve the sound of a voicebank.
Kinetic mentioned a "meowing" sound just as a point of reference, not as an insult. Do try to see the good intent in people's messages.

I'd like to know more about your current level of understanding regarding mixing, so that advice can be catered to your needs. What did you use in Audacity and FL Studio for the OP version of the mix?
Yeah I mistakened it for an insult which was my mistake ;;;
And I don't have much honestly. I just literally randomly edit in FL Studio since I have no knowledge at ALL in it... Audacity, I don't have many plugins since I don't have to folder downloaded correctly to add any. So I used it to basically add small extra reverb to areas and to time it more correctly (since in FL studio idk how to time correctly at all...) So yeah I don't have much experience at all.
I've tried to look up tutorial on YouTube but I haven't really found much at all... And pictures are honestly really hard for me to understand fully without an explanation...

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
Yeah I mistakened it for an insult which was my mistake ;;;
And I don't have much honestly. I just literally randomly edit in FL Studio since I have no knowledge at ALL in it... Audacity, I don't have many plugins since I don't have to folder downloaded correctly to add any. So I used it to basically add small extra reverb to areas and to time it more correctly (since in FL studio idk how to time correctly at all...) So yeah I don't have much experience at all.
I've tried to look up tutorial on YouTube but I haven't really found much at all... And pictures are honestly really hard for me to understand fully without an explanation...
You should probably stop using Audacity for mixing, it's somewhat destructive with audio. I'd suggest using REAPER instead.

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
You should probably stop using Audacity for mixing, it's somewhat destructive with audio. I'd suggest using REAPER instead.
Is REAPER free? (My parents wont let me buy anything more for "just a hobby" so I can't buy anything ;;;

dezzydream

cv bank enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
Yeah true... and her oto has been continously sent to many others and been "fixed up" And i still get others saying it's off. But if you'd like to try yourself I can message you the mediafire link
Go ahead and send it to me. I'm still pretty inexperienced, but someone did think my CV voicebank was a CVVC, so it must have been my oto.

You mentioned that you can't pronounce r sounds in CV properly. Here's a tip: pronounce r's more like l's. It's a lot easier, it sounds more natural, and if you want it switched to the regular "rolled" r, you can just oto it differently.
[doublepost=1487732041][/doublepost]
Is REAPER free? (My parents wont let me buy anything more for "just a hobby" so I can't buy anything ;;;
REAPER's 60 day trial is free.

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Go ahead and send it to me. I'm still pretty inexperienced, but someone did think my CV voicebank was a CVVC, so it must have been my oto.

You mentioned that you can't pronounce r sounds in CV properly. Here's a tip: pronounce r's more like l's. It's a lot easier, it sounds more natural, and if you want it switched to the regular "rolled" r, you can just oto it differently.
[doublepost=1487732041][/doublepost]
REAPER's 60 day trial is free.
Alright let me upload it.

and ahh oki (I'm just slow with doing any covers so probably half of that trial would be a waste ahh freak nuggets ;^; I'll try it though

dezzydream

cv bank enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
Alright let me upload it.

and ahh oki (I'm just slow with doing any covers so probably half of that trial would be a waste ahh freak nuggets ;^; I'll try it though
I have the trial, but I'm not used to it, so I can't navigate or help you with it.

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
Yes, but you're technically "supposed" to buy a license after using it for free for 60 days, kinda like WinRAR. You don't have to buy a license if you don't want to.
EDIT: Hardcore ninja'd lmao

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Yes, but you're technically "supposed" to buy a license after using it for free for 60 days, kinda like WinRAR. You don't have to buy a license if you don't want to.
Oh so is it still usable after the trial then? (I use winrar as well and still use it)

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
(sorta unrelated but on the topic of WinRar) I actually use my laptop's default unzipping program, 7zip. I just like it better.
I tried 7zip and it never worked correctly for me xC I don't know why but it just didnt rip

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
(sorta unrelated but on the topic of WinRar) I actually use my laptop's default unzipping program, 7zip. I just like it better.
Your laptop came with 7zip pre-installed? That's wild, I've never heard of that. Usually laptops just come with gross bloatware installed lol