How did you come up with your UTAU?

DianaTan

Teto's Territory
For the first concepts of my UTAUs I didn't had any ideas (but I dropped them)
For Dia, my boyfriend forced me to do a UTAU which represents me to pair this UTAU up with his male UTAU so yeah, this was Dias story (really interesting orz)

adriann

Ye Olde Fart
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
What an interesting thread! Everyone's stories are so cool! Kenji's wolf story is so sad and Rave's story was very nice to read about, too! -relates-
faerimagic link said:
Thing is, I've created a sort of imaginary friend, a character that I could pretend to talk to.
And also this C: <3

Omg, I already KNOW I'm gonna go on for AGES xD

I got into UTAU as soon as I found out what Vocaloid was. My friend's were sort of into it during freshman year and I decided to look it up myself. I was awwwwed, my first Vocaloid song was 'Moonlit Bear' <3 After that, in the related videos, there was an UTAU video, I guess, I don't remember exactly HOW it happened, but it happened along those lines. I told my friends about it and thus the 'AILoid' group was formed, each letter standing for our names: Adriann, Ika, LuLu. Kinda not that active now, if it ever was, but the characters and VBs are still alive and kickin'.

The first AILoid, Pikane Ai, was designed by LuLu, biologically male. So I was totally okay with voicing her! She was my intro to UTAU. Her voice is supposed to be the most obnoxiously cute THING I could try doing, because LuLu really likes Teto. xD

Her name: Her name comes from my nickname among my group of friends, Pikachu, + ne because of the Crypton fad, hur hur. Her first name was suggested by me for a random, common Japanese name for girls. xD I wanna rename her Pika Pikane 'cuz I always call her 'Pika' instead of 'Ai' and 'pika pika' in Japanese is the onomatopoeia for sparkles, which was also intended for her name, sparkle-sound. xD; I began making her December 2009, a little bit into my sophomore year.

Her design: LuLu designed her like one of his French girls characters, super frills, super detail, ribbons and sparkles everywhere, olol. She's the most obnoxious, happy thing you could think of, because she was supposed to be JUST like Miku in the aspect of 'cute'. Here's her design. It's never changing btw xD

The second AILoid, Raaphaello, was designed by me, biologically female. I wanted- DON'T LAUGH- I wanted a guy UTAUloid with the deepest, bassiest voice. Why? Two reasons: all the Vocaloids I knew about had higher-pitched voices(and still kinda olol) and I really love/d electronic music that would feature awesome bass. And I guess I'm an androphile. LOL. um. But how in the world was I going to get THIS kinda voice? xD I NEVER DID HAHA xDD His first bank was voiced by me, GDI I'm like GIGGLING lol xD He was so stupid xD I always, ALWAYS made him sing as low as he could and with g20 pffft xD Now that he's voiced by my brother, I'm really pretty satisfied with him. : )

His name: Originally, I had two other names for him. Genmaa and Lucca. I really liked Genmaa because it means 'magical illusion' or something, apparently, and idk and Lucca I thought/think was/is a beautiful boys' name. But I kept Raaphaello because Lucca sounds LIKE Luka xD and Genmaa, idk I felt more ~romance~ ooze from 'Raaphaello'. It sounds sexy, Spanish, and idk lol unfitting.

His design: idk, honestly. I wanted to base him off of the whole character item being a vegetable thing, so I gave him a strong affinity to radishes, and therefore, his color scheme is white-mint-green-ish. His hair is a SUPER exaggerated version of my own haircut at the time. And he's black because I hadn't seen that many black UTAUloids back then! xD I also made him ginormously tall and 'handsome' so he could be tall, dark, and handsome. NO LIE HAHA

The third AILoid, Daatura, was actually supposed to be another male, designed just a bit after the Hantaine Twins were first drawn! But then I was like 'fug it, I'm a girl' and decided I was going to voice this character with my normal voice. She was supposed to be sexy, edgy, and totally psychopathic, much like Rave's account of creating Amagaku! -related completely xD- I wanted this one to be able to sing in English because... of reasons, idk what MADE me record English for this one, BUT I DID xD

Her name: I've always been into plants and to continue the trend of using plants for naming, (Raaphaello = root- Raphanus [radish]), I decided to use the name of the Datura species of plants. C: Because they're poisonous but so. Beautiful. And Daatura was supposed to be this sorta venomous, mysterious character who was alluring in a dangerous sort of way. Pish! xD

Her design: Female, hot-pink-red-purple-ish version of Raalph. 'nuff said. Oh and the axe, part of their long-winded back story. |:sing: Also, the thigh-high ballerina fetish boots are a 'take-that' at all the safe, cutesy characters. I never knew of a... daring kinda, fetish-y character back then lol I didn't know a lot back then orz

Recently, I've analyzed just how much my 'loids (Daatura, Raalph, and CLICK (never released)) represent a different aspect of my way of being, it's strange! Because I totally didn't do it on purpose, but it's idk been a cool thing to discover and think about. It's a really cool introspective kinda thing. I'd share, but I think no one would hardly care by this point if anyone'd read this post through xD and I'm sure I've gone on and off topic, sooooooooo

tl;dr - I used to be a bit of a ditz, but then I took a logic to the knee!
/slinks back into lurking

KuroKitsuSan

Teto's Territory
LordUsagi link said:
As for me, I came up with Hoshi after I dyed my hair blue actually xD; and I stole the name Hoshi from some character,I don't remember who OTL annnnnd my friend Kita came up with the last name Moeru. I honestly don't know how she did,but she did XD Hoshi was made almost entirely from my own personality and such c: boring story, I know. 

Ignore that^ I'll tell you my long adventure instead. XD

Well I first found out about Vocaloid through my friend Kita,who is a super VocaNerd.(I believe it was 2009) I learned all about vocaloids and such on my own time and absolutely fell in love. Then,one day I saw a video labeled UTAU Vocaloid cover something or other. On the video was teto wearing her uniform similar to that of a vocaloid. I listened and was a bit confused seeing as how her voice was similar to vocaloid,except not as smooth. I then began my epic sweep of the internet to figure out what this mysterious UTAU was. Annnnnd I learned everything that I know today on the subject and ADORED the idea of \"making your own vocaloid\".  So,I attempted my first utau (total failure.) But after a couple tries annnnnd after dying my hair blue multiple times, I finally came up with my ideal UTAU. Hoshi was pretty much just a self-insert(minus a couple details). But yeah. boring story. xD
Very boring :uhuhu: Just like you

You know my way of making mani xD 'nuff said....all those errors orz

K

khisui

After listening to Voca & UTAU music for few months I started to think of making own music. Because I can't sing, I was interested in Vocaloids and UTAU, but didn't understand Japanese, I recorded an own Finnish singing UTAUloid Yumika. At first she could sing Japanese too, but after rerecordings she sings now just Finnish. :smile:
And I recorded my other UTAUloid called Sakina, because I like dramatic and angry songs, but Yumika is more angelic and isn't really suitable for that kind of songs. Plus I'm a little devil too so Sakina is like an another side of me with Yumika

creamwolf

Teto's Territory
i came up with mine oddly from going through vis-kei pictures after i made bits and pieces of the voicebank,i was just trying to use the voice to piece together an image,i had already made an utau,that i just wasnt really proud of,so i re did him,still using the barcode under the eye,all my utaus have a barcode somewhere ^^

asparagus

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
I based my first one (ROUGE) off of a dream I had, but she came out a whooole lot different then the dream. I actually managed to draw what she had looked like in the dream at one point, but I'm not sure where I put it now. Anyway, I was drawing her at my cousin's party and her friend asked me what I was drawing. When I told her, and told her what her colour scheme was going to be, she named her Rouge.

And then I went home and made like 9 UTAU.

The end.

DREWdesu

Teto's Territory
The UTAU as a whole:
Well originally when I found out how to make UTAU by recording the samples on Audacity, I started with the vowels, the k sounds then I stopped from there. Originally Takara Asune was named Doryu Wotane (Otaku Sound) but from that I gave up. This was around 2009ish
After a while (almost a year tbh) I heard of OREMO  being an easier alternative to record compared to recording Audacity Samples and from that I came up with a full CV voice bank.

The Design:
Well originally Doryu Wotane's design was basically Kaito without the scarf and near-shoulder length hair and was red.
Takara Asune on the other hand was based on a Humanloid of myself with some modifications. From that I decided to no longer have a Humanloid of myself and use that design as Takara Asune... until I kinda ditched it for another design xD.

BlankFaceCat

Teto's Territory
Actually, Jet was totally spontaneous.  I was originally going to make my first UTAU using my regular voice, and I also had 3 more UTAU planned... But when I actually got around to recording the first one, I decided to make an UTAU with a deep voice just as a test to see if I could~ What was I thinking?

Anyway, I ended up cancelling my planned original 4 and only kept my random, precious baby, Jet. (◡‿◡)

D

dCatharsis

I wanted to do an UTAU who looked like me with cool pink clothes.
Katarina looks like me when I was 15 years old...now I'm 18 and I'm fatter and without bangs :X orz
Anyways, now she isn't a Mary Sue or something...she's more like "La Quintrala" (I share my name with her (Catalina) and I wanted to make Kata kinda mean, so...)
(If you don't know who is La Quintrala, google it. She's a popular character in our culture.)
Now she's more "chileanized", I guess. I didn't want to come out with a Mary Sue, lol.

Shinaichivocaloid

Teto's Territory
haha this is a weird story but I hope it's a good one.

I had been obsessed with Vocaloid for a long time, ever since my friend showed me a video of Alice of Human Sacrifice. At the time, I was known as a freak and was very quiet and shy. I didn't really talk to anyone. My art was bad and the only pation I had was in music (but my voice sucked.) Around summer I was at my friend's house watching Vocaloid video's when we noticed a video of Teto with the words UTAU. Curious I looked it up and found out everything about it I could.
the first time I recorded Megan it was bad and I gave up right away. My friend kept on telling me to make it but I didn't get back to it tell half a yar later. My friend's sister had designed an outfit for my UTAU and told me to record it again. So I did and I used the design she posted. Though my art was bad I still got people that liked the voice, which made my confadence go up.
I desided to re record again and make a new voice that people might like more. I recorded about three times before I was happy and showed it on youtube.
My friend told me that I should use my name for the UTAU, so I did. As for the persanality I modeled it after me and more of the persanality I wanted. (minus the controlling and vain part)
After I made my UTAU and people liked it, it gave me more confedence to try harder. I started taking singing lessons, then worked harder on my art, I also tried to start talking to people more.  So pretty much, making Megan helped me a lot with who I am today :wink:

Ciel Phantomhive

Teto's Territory
Yume was basically me making an expy of Rin Kagamine and recording an obnoxiously cute VB with my at-the-time soprano voice. Her genderbend and twin brother Yoshiya came in to being because one simply cannot have a Rin expy without a Len! They've gotten better since then but I'm ashamed to admit that it was how I started.

Ai was... I don't remember where he came from, actually. I think I just derped out a pseudo-masculine voice and pitched it down a bit (I was still a soprano at the time) and drew a kawaii desu uke boi to be the design. Yet again, he's gotten much better, with a VCV bank, and he actually sounds like a boy.

Hikari, Reiko, Chou - I was (still am, but not nearly as much) really into Kuroshitsuji. That's... really all there is to say on the matter.

Yui... Her original design was by Skeyi in a "HERE YOU GO GUYS TAKE THESE DESIGNS AND MAKE UTAUS" thread on VO and I really liked it so I nabbed it and made Yui.

Ciel. Now we get into the interesting stuff! Spoilered for long.
All these UTAUs into my career, I had yet to record a voicebank with my natural speaking voice. So I decided to create Ciel, with the intention of making a sort of Vocaloid-self for me. When I first created him, though, I put him up as a reverse trap. This is because I happen to be assigned female at birth but I identify as... mostly male, so I wanted to make my Vocaself male, but I was FSKING TERRIFIED that if I did that I'd out myself if someone found my Youtube channel. I even made him more feminine looking than my original plan because asdfghjkl.
Eventually I said screw it and gave him the design he has now, and changed him from a tomboyish girl to a AFAB genderqueer who mostly sees himself as male. Like moi. (I've completely mastered not referring to him by pronouns on Youtube, though, because I'm still kinda scared.)
As for the design, I like blue hair and suits and heterochromia. Idk, that's pretty much it. XD

Hinata, Kira, Ren - Ciel's family and friends. Hinata is the Seme to Ai's Uke, Kira is the moeblob little shoujo sister, and Ren is the butch punk girl with a heart of gold, because I've always wanted one of those. They're basically the token anime family and friends setup, because for a while I've been wanting to write either a long running story or a doujinshi about my UTAU babies.

Yuno is the result of me derping in PMD editor and then trying to record a soft bank ~u~

Ato is a counterpart to Ciel. She's male-to-female transgender, though she was originally a trap to go with Ciel's reverse trap. I wanted to give him a duet partner for songs, and then I got the idea of this partner being his best friend who was hopelessly in love with him, and made themself resemble Rin Kagamine because Ciel originally (and still does, though less in a romantic way because he's in a romantic relationship with Amare Arco) had a crush on her. Ato happened.

I have a large amount of unreleased UTAUloids that are just the result of me seeing what I can do with my voice and maintain long enough to record a whole bank.

Roxanne

Teto's Territory
I came up with mine when I was 11, it was 2010, and I had learned about vocaloid in the year 2009 december. In 2010 about in Febuary-april, I started obsessing about making my own vocaloid. I even designed it. I was searching like a nut on the web, trying to find out how to make one, then I discovered UTAUloids.

lelias

Momo's Minion
I first found vocaloid 2 years ago, A friend was using my computer and stumbled onto miku's song "Po pi po" and that was the first time I heard of it. I was hooked and I kept finding new good music to listen to until a featured video about miku explaining to me that she was a computer synth. My mind was blown and I listened to vocaloids for half a year until I started to stumble into Teto songs. She looked like a vocaloid to me, I thought she was one until another featured video explained Teto and what utau was. The thought of making my own "vocaloid" intrigued me so I dove in. My first attempt was my normal voice and I wasn't saving in the proper settings so it had a metallic twang and no oto.ini file. I watched some tutorials and read into it and how to use utau properly.

So I got self conscious about my voice since Im almost mute irl so my voice is much softer. I tried and acted out to see if I could emulate a womans voice. After another voicebank fail I tried out oremo and after a couple hours I got better at acting my voice. I however quit utau for many months and never came back to it, I continued to listen to vocaloid tunes however until I was real bored and snowed in. I stayed up an entire night recording the 4th and last act of Lelias but this time I went real slow and took my time recording which took about 9 hours. Then I went to visit my family and the VB sat in my HDD for 2 months and I had a friend try to oto.ini her. When I came back I learned there was no progress, So I read more into the tutorials and figured out how to tune it properly. Ever since then I've been making Utau songs with Lelias everytime I stumble upon ust's that I think are real good.

As for design I was playing a game called "Dark Ages" and Lelias's clothing was very simular to miku/teto's. So I simplified it as much as I could with a 1 peice black dress and white/black pattern stockings and sleeves. I made Lelias as easy to draw as possible knowing that although I was good at drawing. I knew I could keep drawing and also improve my art skills.

Most people when they hear it don't get that its my voice until a couple minutes listening to me and "her" near the same time. I've had people say its cool, while others can't get over why I would make a girl utau.

True Story.

Pianodream

Teto's Territory
Basically, Ciel was first a character from a game my friend and I had created while in high school (she needed to make at least a game demo to apply for a video game-making school).

sHe had the role of a unisex diva who is later revealed to be a key-character to the story, and who unfortunately dies in the end.
The problem was, we needed a voice, so we got dragged into UTAU and since I was the best singer between the both of us, I recorded Ciel's voice, and our first HANASU thingies were used into her game, for battle quotes. (oh lol)

Then I chose to keep the character as an UTAU. XD

MioDioDaVinci

Teto's Territory
Long story short, my first UTAU was a character I had made a long while ago. I saw a friend's UATU, made the connection that they were both programs, and set forth on a quest to make a bank.

Second UTAU, though... Well, I had been meaning for a while to make an UATU with my own unmodified voice. But, sadly, I had never made a major female character before. Ever. The only one I had ever really "made" was when I was... goodness, seven years old. She was a Digimon recolor who had a super special guilmon and was going to save the world and-- you get the point. So needless to say I was a little afraid to make a female character because I just knew she was going to turn into a Sue some way or another.

What better way to distance myself from the character then make her a faceless, lying, manipulative little bugger?

And thus we get Crevan. :U

Obakebaka

Momo's Minion
I came up with the voices first. I just made a recording or two for voicebanks, then when they were made I based the character appearance around how they sounded.

Well, that's what I did with Sabi and am doing with Walter and Mackie. Nanase started a little differently. I knew I wanted to make a meganekko design and I installed 3DCG to make a MMD model for Sabi so I tried out the character creation functon and she was the result of that. Ultimately she's nothing like that now. Only thing she's kept are the glasses, some aspects of the hair style, hair colour and a glove.

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Many rounds of weeaboo phases and stupid assumptions when I was more into Vocaloid still.I just thought, "YOUR OWN VERSION OF VOCALOID AWW YEAH." This was a time where creative and very different from Crypton Vloids were not out as much...??? Also me being too lazy to ever change things. /sob/
But personality? HERE COMES WEEBING AGAIN. I wanted her to be an airhead who's all gullible but my voice..ended up not really being that? SO I WENT "LE ABSTRACT" and did a theme of a glitch to somewhat balance how even though I want her to be cute there's a back balance thing of some sort aw yeaaah.
But honestly I have no idea what my voice is like. I CAN'T EVEN TELL IF IT'S YOUNG OR MATURE SO I GUESS STUPID GLITCHES WORK? THERE IS NO NORM HERE. E V E

Kinda jumped into this stage waaaay before I understood UTAU, which I regret completely. But I don't really push any of this though. u v ub

PKLpikachu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
A couple of months after becoming a Vocaloid fan, I thought, "Hey, maybe I could do covers of Vocaloid songs!" I let my mind play with the idea a bit, then I thought, "Wait. What if I want to do a duet song?" A couple more months passed, and I found out about UTAU. I started recording the voice samples and thought it would be really cool if I made a male UTAU. So, I lowered the pitch of every voice sample. When it came to his design, I based his design off my iPod because why not? And that's how Forrest was born.

As for Vio, I thought it would be nice to make an UTAUloid with my natural voice. So I did. Design-wise, I was examining my violin one day during orchestra class and I notices how feminine its structure was. One thing led to another...

I created Semi because of the topic of animal appendages on UTAUloids. One person said that there should be more insect-themed UTAUloids. Again, one thing led to another...

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Once I found out about the freeware UTAU, I immediately decided I was going to make one, but since I'm so picky about quality I was going to wait until I bought a good microphone before I even touched the program. Well, days/months/years(?) passed and I finally was going to order a mic. So, I downloaded the program and began messing with the default voices and downloaded a few too. Then, when I was at school I had an idea to draw a Vocaloid/UTAUloid with a huge head of lion hair, then incorporate the tail into the hairstyle via a wrap. I gave it armour, resulting in a kind of 80's looking knight. I even gave her a huge lance/sword guitar. Her name, of course, comes from the knight Sir Lancelot, feminised as "Lancelotte." Afterward, I thought to add a lighting-shaped scar under her eye to kind of add to the idea that she was full of electricity that short-circuits through her metal intrument blade and causes her hair to poof.

So thats about it... basically based her off of symphonic metal/neo classical genre, lions(simba and scar hybrid? xD), knights(Sir Lancelot du Lac), metal guitars, and, um, lightning/electricity... and kind of 80's as well I guess xD.

I still don't have the mic, by the way, but I should have it in a few days =w=

Asuka

Teto's Territory
Harune Asuka was based off of my own personality. Many people see me for the kind of nice girl and stuff, but they don't really see my "tsundere" or meaner side. Asuka was made to portray me; that I'm not only nice, but I really have a mean side as well.
She doesn't have a definite personality at all, realistically, and again, a lot like me...

Then from there, I made her design based on her personality; and her voice as well. I got some of my friends' feedbacks and they helped me with the design.