How did YOU design your UTAU?

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
Well there are so many design related threads, turn ons, turn offs, etc., i figured
Why not have a thread describing our creative proccesses? 8D Maybe we can inspire some people to stay away from Recoloring vocaloids and making their perfect UTAU outfit :3

I guess i'll start....hmmm.....
well with Hekine, it was actually just meant to be an outfit i was gonna wear 8D So when i got my mic and could record with my natural voice, i just....did. :3 I kinda figured she should have something i would wear because she was meant to be kinda an UTAU version of me. but pretty looking. xD *shot*
and as for color, i actually used the colors from my mp3 player, mp3 player cover, and earbuds :3

what about you guys? 8D

Dark3li

Teto's Territory
lol I did the same thing xD but I already knew that I wanted to make an utau owo
she's meant to be an UTAU version on me >< so I drew for her an outfit/clothes that I'd like to use someday xDD

her clothes have blue colors because that's my fav color =,D

Chihaya

Momo's Minion
Ahh, for my UTAU Nari I didn't know how to start at first. I was inspired from a manhwa for a reverse trap, and so from then on I not only made her a reverse trap, but altered her costumes a lot because of the manhwa's character designs. Intiially I wanted her to be blonde and other elements, but after a brief mental argument with myself I got mad at the colour yellow and somehow made it Nari's theme colour...?//;;

To be honest I wanted to have a male UTAU be my first UTAU, but was afraid my voice wasn't deep enough. So as a result I made Nari be more masculine. I'm still tweeking her design, personality and whatnot because it sounds incredibly cliche and needs an immense amount of work. But um, yeah.

I-I hope I'm not sounding so redundant. My grammar is weird, I apologize. ;;

glaciachan

Teto's Territory
CACTLOID - There really wasn't a whole lot of thought involved in making his design at first, honestly. He was truly a beta UTAU at first (A.K.A.: I had no friggin idea what I was doing) so I gave him a simple robot design. Later, though I refined it, first for release, and second when I re-did his CV's

Cafe Fonico - Originally, I wanted to do another male UTAU. So I thought, I'll get someone else to voice it! I did get one person to do it, though, it totally didn't fit the design I had made. Design wise, I originally wanted to do something that was a cross between a crypton-esque design and 1970's fashion. (Fun fact: I wanted to do two UTAU's based on that concept; the second one never got made) This was back in July of last year. Cut to September, and I'm recording for another UTAU, (that never got made, surprise) I also recorded another voice, but that got scrapped. Long story short, the voice I did for the other UTAU eventually became Cafe's 1.0. voice. I was afraid the voice didn't sound like a male, so then I had the idea to make the UTAU a reverse trap. Also, I mostly stamped out anything crypton-esque in her design by the time I released 1.0.

Poppy Roca - This is really the only design I truly had trouble with. I went through SO MANY re-designs before releasing her, god. Eventually, I just thought of different sports equipment/uniforms put together in one design. (Note: I'll probably redesign Poppy when I do her VCV's)

Catherine - To contrast with my other UTAU's, I wanted to definitely do a more casual design, and along with the cephalophore aspects, have her character design work outside of UTAU.

Sylphique

Momo's Minion
I designed Gin and Ruri starting from the color silver.
I wanted my Utaus to be linked to myself in a way that I could always connect with, and be motivated to work on. Silver as a color is very special to me, I really don't know why, but maybe because it just gives off the color of my mind and thoughts, it's far more valuable to me than just a Favorite color. Gin and Ruri themselves are simply results of me giving life to less dominant parts of my personality; the part of me that really only appears when I'm with people who are close to me. Actually I'd be surprised if people said they could always be themselves, anywhere, anytime.  I just happened to want to give a 'voice' to that part of myself. Their dark skin color depicts them being the shadow of my own personality. And their fantasy based designs are there to make them seem more surreal. Their themes are based off of my numerous interests. Gin represents myself more, whilst Ruri represents the myself encouraging myself, if that makes sense. Both of their outfits contain many things I just generally like. Because of the way I designed my Utaus to be as such, I wholeheartedly adore them. And well.. the aqua-ish color in their design... It comes from the color of a picture of a watermelon that looked really good. It just looked really pretty in that picture of a random watermelon, but the outfits having watermelon colored parts has completely no significance; just my sense of aesthetics.

divarima442

Momo's Minion
lol I was applying for a job when I thought of mine. I make cosplay a lot and I messed up on a Miku cosplay I was making. I decided to use it to my advantage and since I was making an UTAU I used it for this. I pretty much based my UTAU after Miku but changed a bunch of things to make it different, ans also to look like me. Instead of detached sleeves I connected fabric to the choker of the throat and attached it to the wrists. I had a yellow and black things going on so I used that more. I like flowers so I put a flower on the headband. The pigtails was actually me thinking of pokemon and the hair they do sometimes. I attached the pigtails together at the end with a black clip. The blond hair and black strip was me thinking of pikachu. :3

ninjamitsuki

Momo's Minion
Mitsuki has been my "original character" for years before UTAU. I just put her into UTAU form and finally gave her a surname.

Daisuke came from me noticing that I do sound pretty boyish and I just imagined a boy in a cap with hair sticking out, and I started recording him in the middle of recording Mitsuki. Unfortunately I wasn't much of an artist back then and I was dumb so I made a recolor of Gold with the hair moved to the top. Then I redesigned him completely by drawing him from scratch and coming up with different things.

Ringone Kaori, I couldn't think of a design so I just threw together some vomit in 3d custom girl. I'm thinking of redesigning her.

Miki, I originally made a concept on tektek's dream avatar to get a basic idea of the design, then I drew her and worked off of that design and made it my own by personalizing everything and making changes.

IceeBlue

Momo's Minion
In general, I design my characters based on concepts/ideas that I liked from video games/comics/other stuff that I like. Kinda lazy but hey, where else am I gonna get these inspirations from ;w;

I also have a tendency to 'recycle/reuse' my characters. Iris was basically reused from an old character of mine, only UTAU-ified her previous outfit. Made it look more... futuristic? I dunno, I like futuristic stuff.

And since it's an UTAU-ified version of an old outfit, I obviously felt like changing it months later. It looked so tacky and Crypton-esque when you looked at it @_@; To the video games/comics/'stuff that I like' I go! Although I wasn't actually being serious in thinking up her new design, I just let myself enjoy playing the games and such stuff.

And so I kept going, doing my own thing, until it finally popped up: The feel's still sort-of futuristic, but with sweet shoes and cool shorts (only shorts look good on her, to be honest...) and some white jacket-thing, has SPACE hair that can be depicted in either reasonable length or all-out ELDRITCH SPACE HAIR long (I just draw either one depending on my mood xDD). And I have S4 League and Homestuck to thank for giving me this silly design idea.

The color scheme? Pretty much just my favorite colors. I love blue, Iris always had blue, so it stuck. I also happen to like pink too, so I added bits of it into her design.

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I feel so left out of some of these conversations ;____; I think the only reason I would record a voicebank is out of peer pressure boo hoo hoo (okay well that and to back up Sweet Ann but that would be about it)

Anyways, I guess this is just barely related, but I can butt into this conversation with this, right?

I often take my hand at redesigning vocaloids and utauloids just....just 'cause. In the case of Sweet Ann I wanted to find an avatar that would represent her voice well, and to strike a balance between her various incarnations (scary boxart, cleaned-up versions of her boxart, her Taiwanese redesign).

Most of my redesigns/interpretations/slight deviations are an attempt to give them a unique body build and facial structure (although I guess I only ever draw way-too-skinny and just-a-little-curvy, haha). Other times I try to find casual interpretations of their usual clothing. I also like looking at their original designs and trying to reconcile them with how their character develops after release (I think...I think I should go try to draw cyborg Gakupo sometime).

P

PurinPuff

I can't really say much, since my artist pretty much designed Kazu on her own, and presented it to me as a surprise. Kazu's color scheme were just colors found in his original plaid.
Nike I had most input in, but many aspects of him are inspired off of the voice provider, himself -with a bit of a hipster flair. /shot

I'm thinking of making some other UTAU designs just for fun. One I'm working on right now is drawn from inspiration behind Tim Burton and Adventure Time-esque qualities. With cuteness and ambiguous creepiness at the same time.

I REALLY like the idea of basing a design of a for realsie thing. Like a pirate, or circus performer.

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I usually record first, then design. I like designs that fit the voice, so I needa know how they sound first before I come up with what they look like.

Unfortunately, I can't draw for shit orz. So what happens is that I think of the design in my head, but I'm limited to parts available to make an MMD model. Not to say that there isn't a lot, because it's the complete opposite. It just that, right now, I have the perfect idea for a top for Solaria. Bad news, since I'm a PMD n00b, I dunno if I'd be able to put it together. So designs are changing.

Yeah >.> basically I record, then think of a design, then attempt to recreate it for an MMD model.

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I pretty much wanted to make an UTAU with a neoclassical/symphonic metal look, so I thought of a knight with a big ass sword electric guitar. Then I realized the sword wouldn't logically be playable, so I lengthened it to make it a lance/sword... (then I thought of the name lanceLOTTE.) I though some large, jaggedy hair would match her so I gave her an orange mane, which then reminded me of a lion so I gave it a little "wrap" and the bottom to resemble a lion's tail. That's pretty much it, besided the lightning scar under her eye for further "toughness." =3=;

Angel

Momo's Minion
Well for Suika, I can't really recall but I remember thinking about her with watermelons and basing her off that I gave her the name 'Suika' because it means watermelons.

Aoi was hard. He's going through ANOTHER re-design. I gave him shorts because a lot of trap UTAU's wear skirts/dresses...
And his 'surname' is Daiya (derived from Daiyamondo/Diamond), so I made it all bishie and sparkly.

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
After my sister Generic and I recorded our voicebanks (Soledi is her voice and Halt is mine), I sat down to the task of drawing them.  I had in my mind how they sounded--Soledi's sharp, choral voice and Hareto's soft, mature voice.  So I looked at Generic and asked "Do we want them to, you know, look like Vocaloids?" and she said "Nope."  So we went from there.

She pitched be the basics of Soledi's design--short white hair, red eyes, a tie, glasses.  Her colors would be red black and white, a typical scheme but a good one.  What basically happened is Generic took the things she liked on men and put them on a girl--she couldn't draw girls with glasses, so if she was gonna have a meganekko, I was gonna need to draw her~  I took some liberty from there and gave her a classic button-up shirt with half of it untucked and half of it tucked--generally a buisness-like design but with a quirky feel, as embodied by her colorful chain-strap-funpop things.  I gave her dark skin and made her really short because cute voice = short, derp.

Then there was Halt.  I just kind of vomited a design all over her--by which I mean, I made sure to pick a palette of colors complimentary to Soledi's, and then I just drew stuff.  I like crazy colorful asymmetric outfits, so I just rolled with whatever came out of my pen.  Erm, I still have to reference her outfit sometimes because of that.  I made her tall because mature voice = tall obvs, and lighter skin to contrast Soledi again.  I knew she needed longer hair to compliment Soledi's short hair, so I gave her dark gray hair... and then I was like AND A MULLET BECAUSE MULLETS.  8D I love drawing mullets.  The long part of her hair gets longer every time I draw it ahaha...  But yeah.  Her design was just me being like I LIKE TO DRAW THINGSSSSS

Pretty much I just drew them and so they were.  The only thing that got redesigned were Halt's pants, and I still may redesign them again because they look weird.  8D;

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
Cdra link said:
I like crazy colorful asymmetric outfits,

Pretty much I just drew them and so they were.  The only thing that got redesigned were Halt's pants, and I still may redesign them again because they look weird.  8D;
Assymetric outfits are for cool kids like us eue