How did you name your Utau??

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Hmmm I have been in love with both Chinese and Japanese cultures since my young days, this started with the culture and not some weeaboo-influence. Also I was so interesed in astronomy and greek mythology.

Yue was created many years ago... possibly around 12 years ago...

月 (ユエ) "Yue" is the chinese word for moon, I learned that on a dictionary. Then I found it was also used as "Tsuki" for both moon and month.

流星 is actually read as Ryuusei (meteor), the correct form to say Nagareboshi (shooting star) is 流星, but since japanese surnames do not use hiragana on them I decided to remove it and write (ながれぼし) so JP users could understand what I wanted for his last name. This was an advice Mianaito gave me 2 years ago to avoid being called "Ryuusei Yue" instead of "Nagareboshi Yue".

As you see, the name is chinese, while the surname is japanese... this is a bit conflictive in politic terms (since china and japan do not have the best relationships) but I am mexican and I didn't knew politic struggles 12 years ago.

The name and character has been well accepted on both community sides...

And that is how I ended making up my UTAULOID name: combining words of 2 cultures I like since child, and my love for astral bodies.

LupinAKAFlashTH

DEX's Voice Provider. Woah.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Kenji was just a name I had been using for a while,  "Baionoto" took some extra research, which is "Harmonic sound".  "Baion" is just "Harmonic".

P

PurinPuff

Bleh, I don't have a released UTAUloid yet. I've been playing around with Oremo though, and have been experimenting with different voice types, so I have little names for them.

カズー (Kazū) was originally supposed to be a JOKE-loid that only had one noise, which was the sound of a kazoo, used for instrumental purposes (ex. a ust made off of a MIDI without an off vocal), but as my friend gave him cool artwork, I decided to put forth more effort into his voicebank. He's still has a recorded kazoo noise, though, since it makes up most of his character.

男性音 持つ女 (Danseine Motsujo) was essentially me being an idiot at Japanese, and trying to copy and paste a phrase from multiple translating sources. Essentially it's supposed to mean "woman with the manly sound", because I have an alto range, and wanted to see if I could make myself a male-sounding voice bank. I'm nearly certain the name doesn't make any sense, though. x3

I should probably make more use of my step-dad's studio, and actually get these recorded well. >_>;

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Originally I was going to name Taiyo Raikone as Amaya. I didn't even have a last name for her yet xD And then after Amaya, I named her Taiyo Tsutedo (her last name was so terribad mix of Japanese words that don't even make sense xD) Anywhoo, I went on the forums because I needed a last name.
Lunyann suggested the last name Raikone, and now she's Taiyo Raikone ouo

For Yoru, he was originally Ryo/Ryou Yorune xD But I started to dislike the name Ryo on him, and switched his name to Yoru Arashine (Storm sound)
He was Taiyo's counterpart, so I figured the Storm part of his last name suited her uvub

Dark3li

Teto's Territory
the name of my utau is Anami Eli ^^
I called her Eli because that's my nickname on the net, while Anami is a random surname that I found on internet 8,D OTL *fails* that's because at the beginning I didn't care too much about the meaning of her name
however... "nami" means "wave" so maybe it's a decent surname xD I also found on internet that anami means "landscape" but I don't know if it's correct =/
I would be very grateful if somebody tells me what does anami mean *I'm so stupid lol*

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Aiko's name was a result of me failing at Japanese repeatedly and almost giving up xD;

I tried several names, but I had no clue how kun/on readings differed or what could even be classified as a proper surname. I tried Hazuru Sora at first but there was already a Sora, so I tried Hazuru Suki... then I second-guessed my choice of "Suki" and tried Sukine Aiko. When I discovered Sukine couldn't be written in kanji how I wanted, I gave up, grabbed "kikyuu" for balloon off of EuDict, and threw together "Kikyuune." Only to discover later that "kikyuu" was "hot air balloon" and not "helium balloon" how I wanted OTL

But according to damesukekun, who edited Aiko's wiki page soon after I made it, "kikyuune" could also technically be read as "sound of the soul" so I was ok with that 8'D

Aiko was grabbed from 20000-names because I didn't know what else to do and I liked it. Derp.

Since then I've kept the trend of using Japanese names that all have similar sounds for the rest of her family (Akio, Akihiko, Akiko, Aki, Akihito). I'm actually pleased that Aiko stands out since her name is the only with "ai" rather than "aki"

...but I feel I have to apologize to those who have dyslexia xD;

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Kaisho has a bit of a wierd history.

Originally, my and my buddy Chihaya were going to make suit themed UTAUs, and Kaisho was going to be club. Naturally, I looked up the word "club". I tried "clover", but I think that I didn't like any of them. As you can guess, none of the "club" words actually meant what we were aiming for. Kaisho actually means some sort of meeting place - that kind of "club". Nowadays I try to bury what her name means because I like the sound of it.

Her last name, Kenage...I'm kind of feeling embaressed by what little thinking I put into it. When I made Kaisho, I was so used to trying to make a desu UTAU that she sounded almost manly to me. So, I got Kenage, which means manly. However, when digging into UTAU later, I figured out that though Kaisho is deepish she doesn't sound very mature or manly at all. ;; So I added in the fact that it also has meanings like "heroic", "gallant", etc, and added that to her personality.

Now I'm sad though, because I didn't realize that all those heroic side meanings are just connotations of how a man should be. Why is this sad? Because Nico keeps thinking she's supposed to be a man - I guess Kenage, above all else, means "like a man". they don't get it so embaressed

Might have to do something with Kaisho to fix that confusion soon, but I have no clue what. I like the flow of her name too much to change it at this point...

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
My first attempt at UTAU had the classic clever "ne" name and what not but when I came back to UTAU I wanted to make a new one that didn't have a Japanese name because I wanted to be different and I wanted a name that wouldn't confuse the crap out of people. Granted I did look up "Libra" in Japanese but figured my Japanese isn't that great...it's utter crap actually. So why bother...

Since her design had flowers on it, albeit derpy looking daisies so that she's easy to draw, I chose my favorite flower, which just so happens to be one of my favorite female names, as her first name: Iris.

I chose "Libra" as her last name cause I also have a fondness for astrology and stars. And like my last UTAU I wanted her name to have something that dealt with that. I thought of constellations and the like and settled on "Libra" because it was my sign and it sounded better than the others and I liked it. -shrug-

Not very creative imo but it works lol

Asuka

Teto's Territory
Mine was probably more simple c:
Harune comes from the word Haru (my favorite season, Spring) and the kanji for oto, sound. Two of them together forms Harune, Spring sounds.
Asuka's name is actually derived from the kanji for Tomorrow's Fragrance, which depicts that she never backs down and always looks at the future instead of the past. Then I just turned the kanji Asuka into the katakana.

Austria

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
Soshiki Nami came from Google Translate since I know about 0 words in Japanese (I'm Chinese so..)
His name was originally supposed to mean Tissue Wave because I remember my friend waving a tissue at me when she moved away. But of course, as Google Translate is derpy as it is, it turns out Soshiki means like, funeral...and Nami, of course, from wave.
I also have a in-the-shadows UTAU called Usagi Senritsu and....you can tell where that came from.
For the SUiT Project, I didn't know what to call Yuki, so I just snatched a word I know from Chinese, 雪 (snow in chinese), and took the japanese pronunciation (Yuki). For her last name, Kusata, I just took the Romaji of Turikusata (Trickster?) and I took off the 'Turi' part.

I was always terrible at naming my UTAUs :'D

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I don't know why, but I've always had this weird way--a method, if you will--of mangling words to make new ones that sound like names.  There's a lot of vowel moving/switching, l/r switching, and sometimes just throwing letters around to change spelling but not pronunciation or vice/versa.  When I did the concept for my UTAU, I took that method up to get:

Harmony+Alto = Halto (fused at l/r) = Hareto.  Why not Haruto?  Because I like the e better, thanks.  And it's not really Japanese.  Also, Halto = Halt. :3  For her last name, Tenor = Tanoru = Tanner (because there's an 'o' in Tenor. mostly they look alike in this case.)  The English name, to me, flows a bit better, and makes sense since she's quite American... but I tend to call her Hareto because I like it and that's what I named her first.

Soprano+Melody = Solody (fused at l/r again) = Soledi.  Again, I like the sound of the 'e' better than the 'o'.  And the y is pronounced as i, so I just switched them.  For her last name, Range = Renje (g is pronounced j, I like e's).

Later, with Alsett, I took the word "Falsetto" (how I thought I recorded it) and removed the first and last letter-- "Alsett".  Its Japanese name is written as Arusette--why?  Because o would imply gender in English. :U

Herr Glasses (my unreleased manvoice) was supposed to get a better name at some point, but after calling him Herr Glasses for so long, I couldn't rename him. ;o;

Fun fact?  That method's also where Cdra comes from. Sea Dragon = C Dragon = Cdra.  Yep.  And now it's been my name for like ten years. |3

TheBakaKitsune

Teto's Territory
I choosed Guren because I love the The GazettE's song. It such a beautiful song. And I really like the lotus flower.

Then, Nataku, because I heard this name on Saiyuki reload X1999 and I like a lot how it sounds. And it does a nice contrast between the peaceful Guren flower and the warrior Nataku ("Nataku" is Nezha in japanese, deity born with weapons in hand).

EDIT : Btw, you will notice that the Nataku symbol on X1999 is the same that Guren arm tattoo. :wink:

I wanted to keep a mystical environment.

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
TheBakaKitsune link said:
I choosed Guren because I love the The GazettE's song. It such a beautiful song. And I really like the lotus flower.

Then, Nataku, because I heard this name on Saiyuki reload and I like a lot how it sounds. And it does a nice contrast between the peaceful Guren flower and the warrior Nataku (\"Nataku\" is Nezha in japanese, deity born with weapons in hand).

That song was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your name~ xD Love Gazette's music, >w<

And herp, when I saw the name Nataku I thought of that old manga called X just goes to show how old I am D|

TheBakaKitsune

Teto's Territory
NaughtyPichu link said:
[quote author=TheBakaKitsune link=topic=1024.msg8047#msg8047 date=1333149996]

Then, Nataku, because I heard this name on Saiyuki reload and I like a lot how it sounds. And it does a nice contrast between the peaceful Guren flower and the warrior Nataku (\"Nataku\" is Nezha in japanese, deity born with weapons in hand).

That song was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your name~ xD Love Gazette's music, >w<

And herp, when I saw the name Nataku I thought of that old manga called X just goes to show how old I am D|
[/quote]

BUT THAT IS !!! Nataku came from X 1999 !!! XDDD I have the manga, it's so cool ~~
Hey dude, I love you <3 Not so old~~
Sh*t XD I wrote something wrong XD Idk why I wrote Saiyuki. I edit it now;

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
TheBakaKitsune link said:
[quote author=NaughtyPichu link=topic=1024.msg8220#msg8220 date=1333232057]
[quote author=TheBakaKitsune link=topic=1024.msg8047#msg8047 date=1333149996]

[/quote]

BUT THAT IS !!! Nataku came from X 1999 !!! XDDD I have the manga, it's so cool ~~
Hey dude, I love you <3 Not so old~~
Sh*t XD I wrote something wrong XD Idk why I wrote Saiyuki. I edit it now;
[/quote]

LAWL YES~! xDD I feel not so much like an old fart now, thank you! x3 And yes that manga is old but so epic!!

EDIT:: And fudge that IS the same symbol 8D -nostalgia-

D

dCatharsis

Well, Sokkyoune means "Sound Improvisation", because my idea was making an UTAUloid that could sing many languages but without a big-as-hell VB.
Katarina ....it has 3 explanations:

1.- It's my own name in romaji. Yeah, my name is Catalina.
2.- It's a very popular given name here in Chile;
3.- Because of Catalina de los Ríos y Lisperguer (AKA La Quintrala), a Chilean aristocratic landowner from the 17th century well known for her beauty and for her cruelty to her workers. She was accused of 40 murders.

Katarina's brother, Antonio....well, Antonia is my 2nd name, and Antonio is the male form of it.
And when I drew him, he reminded me of the vocalist of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Anthony Kiedis xDDDDDD must be the brown hair.
However, I prefer to call him Toño. Yeah, it sounds like Tonio from Vocaloid xDDDD.

Pulpo Kata....it's a parody of Tako Luka....Pulpo means octopus in Spanish xD.

Sayén Rayén....both are Mapuche (indigeneous Chilean) names. Sayén can mean lovely or sweet, and Rayén means flower. Both rhymed, so yeah. c:

I'm thinking about giving a "-ne" ending surname for another UTAUloid that I'm planning, like Katarina, but she will have an Esperanto name y/y. (Yeah, I want an Esperantoloid lol).

About the KANTILOIDO (Esperanto UTAUloid), her name's Kanti Kokusaine.
Kanti means "to sing" in Esperanto, like "Utau" means the same but in Japanese.
Kokusaine means "International Sound", because Esperanto was intented to be an "universala lingvo/universal language". :smile:

Dojan

Momo's Minion
叶心怡 (Ice) link said:
But of course, as Google Translate is derpy as it is, it turns out Soshiki means like, funeral...and Nami, of course, from wave.

N'aww. It depends on the pronounciation though. The spelling you provided matches that of tissue.
Soshiki (組織, そしき) means Tissue.
Soushiki (葬式, そうしき) means Funeral.

---

Amusingly enough, I've been told "Oh you named your bank after SeeU", but that's not the case actually. Initially I had a traditional UTAU style This-sounds-like-a-Japanese-ish-name name. I didn't like it though, so once I had finalized my first bank, I figured, eh, I'll rename it.
About that same time I started researching mixing etc, and I picked up FL Studio again (which I dabbled with years ago), and I realized that the Phaser plugin, was one of my favourite effects. It was really fun to use.

Now, I'm incredibly amused by wordplay, so I built on "Phase" (Faze, to disturb someone; "He didn't get fazed by his younger brother's audacity") and added "U" (You) at the end.
So essentially, I suppose that PhaseU means "Disturb You".
I never drew any connection to SeeU till someone pointed it out to me (at that point in time, I hadn't even heard of SeeU) .
"Oh damn, but I can't be bothered to rename it again. Bleh."

Raiyux

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
IrisFlower link said:
I chose \"Libra\" as her last name cause I also have a fondness for astrology and stars.
So do I! I actually thought of using my star sign when I was thinking of names, but I decided not to. I'd really like to name a future UTAU after like a constellation or something. I have a good one in mind, too. ^^

"Nakane Fuu"... Honestly, I had no idea what to name her in the beginning. I was just flipping through my Japanese/English dictionary (lol) looking for a nice and meaningful name. I finished her VB first, so it would be easier to choose a name that described how she sounded.

At first, I didn't intend on making a moe and I expected her to be a middle-ranged UTAU. So I looked up 'middle/center' in the dictionary and that's how I got "Naka". But of course I wanted to be kind of traditional, so I added the "ne" at the end.

I also got "Fuu" (which means "wind") from the dictionary. I thought the meaning was nice, plus I liked the way it sounded. Although, her real first name is "Fuuka". I added a "ka" at the end because adding an "a" at the end of names makes them sound more feminine.

In the end, the meaning of her name turned out to have no bearing on the actual sound. And why I decided to nickname her, I'm still not entirely sure. I'm actually giving some serious consideration to making her official name "Nakane Fuuka". It just feels like it works better syllable and gender-wise.

Shinaichivocaloid

Teto's Territory
lol mines a little lame. For my UTAU's name I took my first name because I wanted it to be a little like me and then for the last name, well one of my friends Rima used to call me Shinaichi all the time. Really all she was doing was taking the Japanese words for True, love, and blood and putting them together so Shinaichi in english would be trueloveblood. For some reason that nickname stuck and I was called that by a lot of my friends. (that was about middle school) When I went to high school Rima moved to Japan, and sent me a few links to UTAU telling me to use the last name Shinaichi, so I did. So that's how Megan Shinaichi got her name.

Mariuspersen

Momo's Minion
Atleast what I tried to do with mine was to have a name that had certain ring to it. It was easy to say and easy to remember. So I went with Yuune Mito (Yuune being the family name). Previously his name was Miko (Meaning God's Son) but I later found out it sounded more feminine for being a Male name so I changed it to Mito (meaning 'to witness'). The family name means superior sound.