How do you take UTAU?

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Do you use UTAU for music covering and/or composing as a "fun/hobby" thing or as a "serious" existing tool for composing and/or covering songs?

Just curious...I myself use it for fun...would like to know what others think about it

Reactions: HoneyPai

☆彡иα∂ιѕ☆彡

Ash Ketchum
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
i use it for fun. i wouldn't ry to make a profit from making my own bank, but i enjoy doing it because it's such a unique hobby

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
I use it for fun. I only have minimal musical knowledge so I don't think I could write any decent songs lel.

But I use it for similar reasons to why I like drawing, I just like the feeling of creating something and in a way, adding a new dimension of life to characters by giving them a voice as well as a face and personality if that makes sense.

Reactions: kimchi-tan

chunter

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Define "serious." I consider my composing serious to the extent that I once wanted to make a career of it (though I changed my mind when I realized I had an easier time creating when I wasn't worried about relying on it to feed and shelter me,) but I've been at it a long time and try my best to finish a song once or twice per month.

Will my music (using UTAU or not) earn me a living or make me famous? No, not any more than it already has.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I first downloaded UTAU with the intention of making my favorite UTAUs sing covers and still do. The only difference now is that I have more "favorites" and that I take my covers more "seriously".

TL;DR: both lel

Reactions: Mougeki Mero

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Music and vocalsynth are my main hobby, and it's incredibly important to me. Ideally, what I do in the future will be connected to what I like about this, like computer science or linguistics. That doesn't mean I'm not doing this for fun, though, haha.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I do it for fun. The feeling of putting your blood sweat and tears into something and having it work out is the most satisfying thing. Plus, I find it a more interesting hobby than knitting or crossword puzzles
UTAU is one of the reasons I barely read novels anymore ._. :'D

Reactions: Nohkara

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Yeah. To me, it's almost impossible to stop myself from being addicted to UTAU, even though I join other fandoms.
Agreed. Even when the fandom I was most active on wasn't the UTAU community hence my UTAforum hiatus in the last 2 years, I would still be tuning some USTs here and there.

dyne 智優

Shoutbox Lurker™
Defender of Defoko
You may never leave the UTAU cult OTL
1. Honestly? UTAU is weed to me //shot
2. It's like a place for me to vent out my daily stress.
3. Thanks to UTAU reclists being a thing I'm way more interested in being a linguist, despite the fact that my parents disagree with my choices.they do that all the time tho //shot
4. Hobbies can be serious too >:o

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Wow. I guess it is a "different cultures" thing... I take UTAU seriously, I make song covers, originals, etc...But at the same time I tag it as a "just fun" thing, because there is like real life work, school, etc... :sad: Maybe it is just the culture of my country...People here despise technology a lot tbh...I kinda learned that vocal synths are just a hobby

dyne 智優

Shoutbox Lurker™
Defender of Defoko
Malay/Indonesian (is it same?)
Both differ not phonologically, only in terms of vocabulary (depending on dialect, also grammatically), except that Indonesians tend to replace loan phonemes with native ones more frequently than Malaysians (unless you have been exposed to Borneo too much). Both languages stem from a common ancestor.
As far as I can tell, reclists tend to claim that they can support both (or maybe they were initially intended for one of the languages and have the other in its extra support list).
sorry off topic //shot

Reactions: Lorreine Geralde

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I use it just as a hobby
I don't think it's a culture thing that makes people think it's a hobby
As many have said which most of us do
It's a serious hobby, but it's just for fun but it's not like one is just going to plug and play and purposefully make a bad cover or original (unless that in itself brings you joy)
You can be serious about utau but it's a little hard to say that it's not a hobby in my opinion, unless you only use it to attempt to make a profit off it and become a "professional" user, I personally think that it'd be hard to be a professional utau user considering it is still technically an amateur software.

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
Eh, I do it both ways.

I wanna be a music producer of some kind, and UTAU can give me vocals.
I wanna have fun so I make memes in UTAU sometimes.

Don't think it over too much and just do what makes you happy.

bio

VocalSynth Enthusiast
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm serious when otoing banks for others and writing my shitty reclists. Other than that I have fun with it.