How Many People Rely On Romaji Converted Voicebanks?

P

PurinPuff

I used to have this problem, but I fixed it RIGHT after I converted Ruko CV into romaji. /shot
Who has a computer that isn't in unicode? Just curious.

[sub]I changed my keyboard and stuff but found hiragana still wasn't working then I fixed it:

Help and Support > "locale" in search bar > Region and Language > Administrative tab > Change system locale > Change to Japanese - Japan[/sub]​

Iscabird

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I don't rely on romaji-converted voicebanks. I don't even really use purely-romaji usts anymore - I have that romaji→kana converter plugin, which makes converting romaji vsq files into ust files so much quicker and because half of my voicebanks are kana VCV, it's much more convenient for me to not use romaji. It has the side effect of me forgetting to set romaji aliases for my CV UTAUs, but that's a story for another time.

P

PurinPuff

KiiDOS link said:
I don't rely on romaji-converted voicebanks. I don't even really use purely-romaji usts anymore - I have that romaji→kana converter plugin, which makes converting romaji vsq files into ust files so much quicker and because half of my voicebanks are kana VCV, it's much more convenient for me to not use romaji. It has the side effect of me forgetting to set romaji aliases for my CV UTAUs, but that's a story for another time.

That Essential UTAU Toolkit is amazing~
I hardly use romaji anymore, which makes me sad. D:

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
I mostly deal with hiragana USTs. ^^
Voicebanks may be in romaji, but that's pretty much it. I don't have any romaji USTs, though sometimes I edit a hiragana UST with some romaji (mainly cuz I don't feel like copy/pasting hiragana). It still works with me. I don't depend on romaji that much.

By kana, do you mean katakana?
Yeah, I haven't used that at all. XD
I once tried to do a katakana + hiragana + romaji voicebank. It was a complete PHAIL, and I gave up. :P

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
My computer's not in Japanese locale (shared computer, pissed off parents yada yada) but it can handle unicode, so I don't get just random gibberish in Notepad or when I'm downloading a new voicebank whose name is in kanji/hiragana/katakana. UTAU still gives me a mess though with hiragana USTs, but they're not unusable, just unreadable xP unless you memorize what weird symbols mean what kana like I did.

So uh, no reliance. I can run romaji & kana banks, no problem. I like converted banks anyway & I'll convert them myself if I can cos it's a hassle to convert a hiragana UST to romaji & visa versa since you have to go outside of UTAU to do it :I

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I don't have JP locale and I don't think there's much support for unicode since banks just get messed up through DLs, not as in filename (well that too) but actual files. So I can't even convert them on my own. Of course, it's not because I'm not aware of local changing. In fact I wish I could, since I want a heck an amount of banks.

Also since we're on the topic of romaji USTs, I'm not accusing anyone of thinking it but just in the case where it might occur...they're not any worse to Hiragana USTs, kthankyou. Like. Physically. As a UST. :I Because some people sure like to think so. Which is pretty silly, ..they're just gonna scrap half the USTS there are because of silly perceptions...that are false. Because apparently it's not "Japanese enough." Back on topic...uh hmm HURRAH YAY FOR ROMAJI. 8I;;

@ stormylullaby - I'm pretty sure it's both easier and quicker (because..files + frqs + otos vs just oto) to simply add aliases. You don't have to leave UTAU for that still but your choice. (by the way, there are plugins now for ust converting) :wink:

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Aster Selene link said:
pssssst
Go get the latest version of the converter
it's turned into a script for an in-program plugin c:

MY DESIRES HAVE BEEN FULFILLED ;A; no need for conversion anymore now lol but still I like converting my banks at least, to help others.

Aster, why is this not in its own thread or something? It's really useful, & so I'm in the loop next time there's an update so I'm not stuck with an older version like I was D:

Iscabird

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
PurinPuff link said:
[quote author=KiiDOS link=topic=705.msg4133#msg4133 date=1330413237]

That Essential UTAU Toolkit is amazing~
I hardly use romaji anymore, which makes me sad. D:
[/quote]
I should have been a little clearer, the romaji→kana converter plugin is not part of the Essential UTAU Toolkit, it's a plugin I found on that @wiki page of various UTAU plugins xD I don't even use the UTAU Toolkit either, because it never ever worked for me and I have never worried about voicebank conversion.

irei1as

Teto's Territory
First of all, I use romaji only. Because romaji is awesome. Long life to romaji. And, well, when I travel I'm stuck in romaji only computers and that way I can play with these things anywhere.
And when I do ust, they're in romaji. We have the holy converter if you want hiragana, after all. But, hey, they're not that good so if you're a "romaji-hater" user (I'm 0K with it!) you don't lose anything, really.

But I do agree Japanese locale is better if you can use it as so many things are easier to use.

Now, let me do some sidetracking... Just ignore the rest of the post if you want.
PandaLolii link said:
(Spoiler because long.)
I don't have JP locale and I don't think there's much support for unicode since banks just get messed up through DLs, not as in filename (well that too) but actual files. So I can't even convert them on my own. Of course, it's not because I'm not aware of local changing. In fact I wish I could, since I want a heck an amount of banks.

Also since we're on the topic of romaji USTs, I'm not accusing anyone of thinking it but just in the case where it might occur...they're not any worse to Hiragana USTs, kthankyou. Like. Physically. As a UST. :I Because some people sure like to think so. Which is pretty silly, ..they're just gonna scrap half the USTS there are because of silly perceptions...that are false. Because apparently it's not \"Japanese enough.\" Back on topic...uh hmm HURRAH YAY FOR ROMAJI. 8I;;

For the first point, I'm not actually exactly sure as my experiments may be wrong but, to download compressed files in not-Japanese locale does not "corrupt" them -with the exception of the name that is messed-. The issue appears with the method of uncompressing these files.
.zip files can only be successfully used if the locale (or using Applocale) for the unzipper is the correct codification, that is Japanese for kana.
As curiosity, it seems .rar doesn't have that issue so with (not ancient and buggy) unrar programs you can uncompress them. -Of course you still need the language files or you'll get squares.-
--I may be wrong as I can do the experiments downloading the Japanese files in a Spanish locale only computer. But after moving the files with a pendrive I can read the files correctly in other computer in Japanese. So the files where not destroyed by downloading them in the Spanish locale at all.--
Anyway you can try to cheat the hiragana game with methods like http://utaforum.com/topic/8533144/1/?x=90
Again, not sure if they're 100% usable for everybody as I was only able to do the experiments in Spanish locale.

Now for the second part... actually hiragana ust are -sadly!- marginally better.
"A la carte" works better with hiragana (ん vs n with na, ne...) and some voicebanks in hiragana only actually use romaji for some special files so they can't interchange hiragan<->romaji ("あ" being the normal vowel and "a" is the vowel but with a different oto configuration like you can check with some vipper voicebanks).

But these points are so marginal (you can use "A la carte" anyway with the same result if you do it by parts; and if you decide to convert those special voicebanks to romaji you can use "_a" instead "a") that it doesn't really justifies romaji hate.

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
irei1as - Bbbuu, sorry. Misclassified there, it happens so on my computer. Not saying it does on all. XD;; Things get switched around or not even DLed. (I've asked the size of .rar for banks I've DLed to theirs and mine was smaller??? Weiiird.) And of course, names are messed up too. But I've seen your thread before, I'll probably try it anyway one day in hopes that it was just maybe that one bank! ; A ;

But oh yes, I agree and know what you mean! XD I was thinking more about the substaaaantial hate. As if it were poisonous and should never be touched! D8 Who cares if you could convert them to Hiragana after? They are all definitely cruddy nevertheless! They're not capable of being on time, correct in rhythm or have edits ...that type of behaviour, you know? :'D Really silly and irrational bias. also in the apparent JP people don't make romaji usts as often making them less acceptable???? lol again, silly.

Asteriski

Teto's Territory
I don't care much either way, but I do prefer Romaji banks with aliases because I can go into the OTO and find the Hiragana symbol I need to paste into a note much faster. (My keyboard doesn't like typing in JP much. It's easier this way.)

Also, my method of fitting a UST is a bit weird, and it doesn't like Romaji USTs much.