How much advertising is too much?

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
How much do you have to advertise or self-promote your UTAU until it turns into spam? I always worry about mentioning my UTAU too much that people will get sick of them and would make me an UTAU wh*re. What would you consider too much advertising?

Misha

Momo's Minion
If every other post includes you talking about your utau, then thats annoying as heck =__=;; If you don't do that, then things /should/ be ok. And only mention your utau if the topic asks it.

And if you bring up your utau, dont make a big show out of it. Just mention them, then done.

scarfu

Teto's Territory
Agree with Misha XD Honestly in my opinion it's obnoxious if you try to make conversations like SOLELY based on your UTAU, or if you just go HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS~~ in the middle of a conversation. Like if someone asks you about your UTAU, go ahead and talk about them a little! If you're meeting an UTAU person for the first time, go ahead and introduce them politely! But I mean like if you literally post about your UTAU in EVERY thread, in EVERY conversation, EVERY opportunity you get, that just gets annoying really fast...

LupinAKAFlashTH

DEX's Voice Provider. Woah.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Agreeing with Misha and Scarfu.

Also, I also find it obnoxious if the only thing you have on your YouTube page involves your UTAUloid.

And by this, I mean, around 200 videos, 180 of them being your UTAUloid.  that's 18 out of 20, 9 out of 10.  In other words 90 percent of your channel being solely your UTAUloid is a little irky to me, and this is not including videos that feature your UTAU for special occasions (UTAU birthday, Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day, UTA-Anniversaries, special announcements).

Misha

Momo's Minion
Well to be honest, I don't see what the problem is with that XD;;? Esp if people's entire youtube page is /supposed/ to be about their utau....? And what else would they put on the channel if their main thing is utau anyway O__o;;

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I don't have a problem with promotion, or even self promotion. Hell I wrote a VocaRant article on how self promotion is a GOOD thing and how producers should do it more.

That being said there is such thing as excessive self-promotion. Its one thing to have your UTAU linked in your sig, or to embed YouTube videos in the appropriate board section, but its another thing to SPAM your UTAU, to bring it up at every opportunity, and into conversations where it isn't wanted or needed.

Speaking of people with +200 videos on their YT account.
  • Occasional video or new cover for a song you like is cool.
  • Posting 200 videos and covering every public UST you can find is not.
There is nothing wrong with having a ton of videos, or hell having a ton of videos of your UTAU exclusively. If you are going to cover 200+ songs then I am of the belief that you should put some *effort* into everything you do. Don't boil it down into a mechanical copy, past, export.

Take the time to mix each song properly, fiddle with the settings for the best possible sound, make art and PVs for it. If you put *effort* into the work you do then it is something people, who though they may not like your UTAU can still appreciate. Take my own UTAU for example.

Worst design ever, its a stick figure, combined with a Japanese pronunciation so terrible we re-recorded him when he didn't sound bad enough. That being said despite all of this his videos all have +2,000 views.

All with my almost never promoting it myself. Posted it once on VO & UtaForum and then other people who liked it ended up tweeting/tumblring and hell one of them caught fire on a Russian social network.

I am a firm believer that no matter how bad the UTAU is, as long as it has clear sound, you love your work, and this shows in your final product then you are half way to the coveted *populaty*.

I believe quality matters over quantity, and that taking time to make cool, if albeit derpy, PVs is appreciated. There will come a point that your work will eventually speak for itself and advertising will be less important than it is normally.

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
All of you have given me helpful responses. I keep thinking that even having my UTAU in my signature is a little too much, yet how will people know about them if I don't mention them at all?  I do admit it annoying if someone were to bring up their UTAU any moment they can.

About the whole YouTube channel dedicated to their own UTAU, I see nothing wrong with it either. Your own UTAU is your pride and joy and subs would expect to see your own UTAU most of the time.

Astral-Arts

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
moonst4r link said:
All of you have given me helpful responses. I keep thinking that even having my UTAU in my signature is a little too much, yet how will people know about them if I don't mention them at all?  I do admit it annoying if someone were to bring up their UTAU any moment they can.

About the whole YouTube channel dedicated to their own UTAU, I see nothing wrong with it either. Your own UTAU is your pride and joy and subs would expect to see your own UTAU most of the time.

I wouldn't worry about either of those things. Many people here on UTAforum seem to have VB downloads in there sig (myself included), and having mainly videos on your youtube of your own UTAU I never really saw as a big deal either. Most people only upload things with their UTAU. Like you said, it is your pride and joy. I would suggest doing duets or choruses though. It's a great way to get to use new voicebanks, meeting new people, and getting better at mixing different voices. Just a thought. ^_^

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
moonst4r link said:
I keep thinking that even having my UTAU in my signature is a little too much, yet how will people know about them if I don't mention them at all?

Which is exactly why I am developing an "Infobox" using custom profile fields. I am still fleshing it out, trying to iron out what fields I want, and how I want to format it but eventually there will be an entire section, appended to your all your posts who entire purpose is for UTAU propagation.

I imagine it something like those Xbox Gamercards except for UTAU projects. We will see where I go with it.

Misha

Momo's Minion
I agree with Rave. Rather then just solo covers of your utauloid, its good to keep things fresh with duets and chorus u v u

LupinAKAFlashTH

DEX's Voice Provider. Woah.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hentai properly explained what I was talking about lmao.  I'm sorry, I'm horrible with words. V_V;

irei1as

Teto's Territory
"If other people did what you are doing would it be annoying to you?"
It has its flaws but I like that code. It's an empathy approach.

So, "I don't mind other people having a link to their voicebank in their signature" would mean having one is alright.
Or (extreme and fictional example), "I don't like that user continuously sending me PM with petitions of using their voicebank because I'm just going to ignore them" means I shouldn't do that to other people.

DianaTan

Teto's Territory
I have to agree with everybody. It isn't okay ALWAYS talking about your UTAU in comments or anything else. For me it's okay if somebody would ask "Hey, I like your UTAU, do you mind using your UTAU in a duet with mine?" Of course it's self-advertising BUT not annoying. Annoying would be "Hey, your UTAU is just kjgdajhdg amazing but mine is good, go and look on it". It's just... no, never do it, you'll get enemies if you'll do that constantly.
Maybe asking for criqitue on your UTAU by another really good user would be the limit. I wouldn't go any further.

UtauReni

Momo's Minion
Hentai link said:
I believe quality matters over quantity, and that taking time to make cool, if albeit derpy, PVs is appreciated. There will come a point that your work will eventually speak for itself and advertising will be less important than it is normally.

this is, like, my own personal credo. *__* <3

but yeah, I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far. I think that as long as a person advertises/promotes with a good attitude and doesn't get all whiny when people don't get into it, it should be fine. say what you want to say when it's appropriate to say it, and then leave it at that, dont get pushy about it. :3 also, moonydear, you dont have to worry at all about coming off as an "utau wh*re", you're just the sweetest darling ever, how could anyone not love you *w* <3

Hika421

Teto's Territory
I wanted to throw something in too.

Please. Spread your promotion out. Get a Twitter, FB, YouTube, Tumblr, whatever, and evenly spread out your promotion on each platform.

Say you only exist in one place... For example, Twitter, and you live your entire UTAU life through it and every other tweet is a concept art or VB link...

I see this happen with people who only live in the chatbox. They take the amount of promotion I spam through like, 5-6 platforms and unload it all to /one single place/...

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So much useful information. I think you also all gave useful information on how to advertise well.

Also, thank you Reni ;;u;; -hugs-

K

khisui

It takes very much to turn into spam, but it can easily turn into shelfishness.
That people just think of their own UTAUloids, talk about them and draw new and new pictures doesn't make any sence and doesn't look good to others. People should be interested in UTAU-things and others' UTAUloids, at least talk about them too.
I'm not the best examble what people should do too, I don't know much about ovearseas UTAUloids but still xD

asparagus

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
I think having VB downloads in your sig is just fne ad don't have a problem with it (Hell, I'm working on making them for myself), but excessive spamming is  a no-no.

Also, 200 covers... are we talking covers where they actually tried to freshen things up with improve, duets of usually solo songs and remixes? Or just straight up covers? Because the last one is just... no.

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
Question about choruses: does anyone feel it's spam when people just throw their UTAUloids at choruses? Sometimes I kind of feel ashamed about suggesting mine because of that o_o;;

Robin Tair

Momo's Minion
Zelfie Windwalker link said:
Question about choruses: does anyone feel it's spam when people just throw their UTAUloids at choruses? Sometimes I kind of feel ashamed about suggesting mine because of that o_o;;
It depends.

If they jump at  every single new chorus and  go "omg use my utsu plox."  then barely help in unless it comes to their own UTAU Then.. that would be pretty spammy. xD
But if it's like.. the choruses they really like and they help as much as they can to make  to the chorus work. Then that's perfectly  ok and nobody should ever feel ashamed  over that!

You shouldn't be ashamed  of wanting to sign up for a chorus project, They are meant to be a fun  way of working together after all. :3

But like everything in life, It should be  in moderation,