How Serious Are You With UTAU?

How Serious Are You With UTAU?

• I don't use the program. I'm just an UTAU/vocalsynth fan ^-^

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SOHBlue

Master of Doom
Defender of Defoko
That was a lovely speech. I hope the best for you next year! :smile: I bet you'll do great with all your projects :D
Thank you, Piia. You're really nice, you know? I hope all of your works and goals go really well, yes. ^.^
Best of luck! :wink:

Reactions: Piia

Izua

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
UTAU I guess for me can be considered a hobby but it is a really intense hobby LOL It sounds cheesy but it's one of my biggest passions. I love it. With that being said, I take it pretty seriously. I feel like I'm going to be here for a VERY long time and I will be doing my best to see myself improve over the years, but I'm not pushing myself; I want to move 100 percent at my own pace, so that even if I'm a major late bloomer *COUGH* at least I'm still having fun while getting places on my own. I intend to aim for other careers/professions in life but for the most part UTAU is a huge thing for me--especially my UTAUs. They're babies to me <3 I think someday even when I'm working too much to be too active in the community I will still have the babies with me and I will still be hanging around on occasion to see what's going on. Even if it's a hobby, it's not something I can just leave completely. Hehehe

Shasta

Professional Lurker
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I would say I am fairly serious about it. I don't plan on even attempting UTAU as a career, hell, I don't even plan on taking music and/or art as a serious career, but I am the founder and 'manager' of Project SHASTALOID which is a pretty large series of UTAUs, and there are about 4 other people on the team with the side of a small off team group of oto-ers. So, there are about 7 to 8 people working on this project at a given time. I am primarily just the artist, and manager, but I also oto. We don't make any money off of the project, we do it because we can. It has been a great experience working with so many people, to be able to meet so many cool people, to watch people and projects grow and being able to help so many people on the way. I'm not sure what the future holds, but I'm pretty excited to see.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Like I said before, it is impossible to build a career based solely upon UTAU.

There are people who live from freelance work and internet content creation, but if you want to do that kind of thing, you absolutely must expand beyond UTAU (ex. non UTAU music and artwork). So, as seriously as we all may take it, this community alone cannot sustain a person's livelihood.

Matsuban

Andromeda Alien
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's a hobby for me that i'm semi-serious about. I used to just make banks for my own use and for fun, But since people have started to use and pay attention to my UTAU's i've become a bit more serious about it, So i recently took critiques for the first time to improve. I really truly enjoy it, But i've been in this fandom on and off since 2009 so i'd call it a hobby for me. I couldn't see myself ever making a career or smthn out of it haha

dezzydream

cv bank enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
Like drawing, I simply do it when I have free time. It's a hobby. I was actually planning to make Noke's planned voicebanks commercial(all commercial rights included), but I decided against it.
(throwing drawing in here) I draw when I have free time in class, like after a test or if we have an event.

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
ok, my joke posts aside, utau is mainly a hobby for me. i once considered being 'serious' in utau but that doesn't seem likely anymore lmao.. but i'm somewhat looking beyond utau. if i ever pursue a career in vocal synthesis anyways, i'd be looking into beyond utau, and looking at professional research projects on vocal synthesis or something that has more monetary merit, like vocaloid.

Reactions: Kiyoteru and Piia

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I take it seriously enough to buy equipment/software (XLR cable, interface, mic, mic stand, bought my daw, bought the shareware version of UTAU), but the same can be said of any hobby. I don't think there's any such thing as a hobby that doesn't cost money. Even to do UTAU for "free," without paying for an external mic, art, etc. you still need access to a computer (unless you dumpster dive or someone shares their machine/donates something that's old). I would say it's one of the more expensive hobbies, given the average age of users in the fandom (the only hobby that probably tops it is video games if you're a PC, console, or Nintendo handheld player).

You can never make a livelihood out of it. I would say that it's almost insurmountable to make a career in the arts at all unless you have a lot of [rich] connections who can afford to spend frivolously on life's pleasures such as music/art. At the very least, you would probably have to be among academia or working with Votro Labs/Yamaha themselves to make a living at this kind of thing.

Reactions: SOHBlue and Piia

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I think that there is a zone between calling Utau/Vocal synths someone's hobby and saying that someone is serious(as in trying to go at it professionally). That's where I would fit in. I can't say its a hobby because it's become part of who I am and what defines me, like my art. I mean it would be like calling having a right foot a hobby. "Yes, I don't really need this foot. It could disapear someday and I'd really be okay."

I haven't spent money on Utau per say, but I have purchased a few Vocaloids, some new nice headphones, and finally got a Reaper license(what can I say I was broke).

I'd like to eventually create a vocal synth software that has some of the capabilities of Utau and Vocaloid combined, preferably working with at least one other person. But for now I'm trying to get better at making my own midis and working in Vocaloid. I also really really would like to revamp the way English is done in Utau(I really despise the VCCV method and the accents it produces(I also don't like any of the English Vocaloids, save for Maika, Fukase, and Rin)), but I won't be able to start on that until at least late next year.

Anyway, sorry for blabbering. I guess I am serious about Utau, just not in a trying to make money out of it or VB making sort of way. I think I end up spending most of my time trying to understand the Vocal Synth community these days instead of actually finishing any covers these days.

Reactions: SOHBlue

Piia

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
Anyway, sorry for blabbering. I guess I am serious about Utau, just not in a trying to make money out of it or VB making sort of way. I think I end up spending most of my time trying to understand the Vocal Synth community these days instead of actually finishing any covers these days.
Your 'blab' is welcome here (no need to apologize hahaha). I really enjoy reading all of your feedback ^-^

Reactions: WyndReed

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Considering I'm going into speech synth as a career, I'd say I take it pretty seriously. Though, I can't really call myself a professional considering I lack proper equipment and I'm just honestly not that great at singing. My main strength is in reclists and configuration lol