How to make a "choppy" effect?

homikaaa

Teto's Territory
I'm trying to make a Sweet Devil cover but I'm new to the whole tuning and mixing process, so I was wondering if someone could help me...
I'm looking for a way to make the effect the voice does where it sounds like it drops and cuts out, either in UTAU or in mixing later (I use reaper).

It's at 0:43. Thank you!

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'm trying to make a Sweet Devil cover but I'm new to the whole tuning and mixing process, so I was wondering if someone could help me...
I'm looking for a way to make the effect the voice does where it sounds like it drops and cuts out, either in UTAU or in mixing later (I use reaper).

It's at 0:43. Thank you!

Hm, for the drop I remember using a UST that created the effect by making a pitch bend tail off to a really low pitch, creating that sudden drop effect. To make the choppiness I suppose it'd be possible to make really tiny notes in Utau, or maybe play with Constant velocity and pitchbends...(i have less faith in those words ;-:wink: That's the extent of my knowledge ;^^

Reactions: homikaaa

Disty

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
This video shows how to mess with the pitch in reaper, so you would just have to edit the pitch to drop at the part you wanted it to.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's definitely a mixing effect, so I would advise against trying to recreate the effect in UTAU. Just make a long note so that you have some audio to work with.
First you have a tapestop, then chops. You can search for a tapestop VST, but the one I use is included in the free VST pack here: http://illformed.org/ Although you could try to manipulate the pitch manually, this a classic example of the tapestop effect, and once you recognize what it sounds like it's really fun to use.
As for the chops, they're really simple. First, sync the project tempo to the song so you can get the timing right. Cut up/split the audio track into a lot of little pieces, and delete every other section. (I'm not familiar with reaper, but in FL studio the cutting tool is under C and in ableton live the shortcut is ctrl+e). It'll look similar to this.
upload_2017-8-12_2-38-25.png