How to make a good UST?

Nanika

Lame Vocaloid Producer
Defender of Defoko
I've really been wanting to make a UST, but I don't know how! They all sound horrible!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Many UST makers use a technique of creating a midi in FL studio on top of the original song to match the vocals, then importing it to UTAU to add lyrics/tuning. I do it, as well as EchoBlossom and SkyIsland, and probably many more.

People who have Vocaloid3 and are used to it will probably do the same type of thing by importing the song on one track, and copying vocals on another. They export the VSQ and import it to UTAU, or leave it alone if it's going to be a vocaloid cover anyway.

For more specific help, mind explaining what you mean by "they all sound horrible"?

Yanderekishin

Momo's Minion
To be honest to make a "Good UST" all you need to do is practice. How do you think all the Gen 1 Utau users got good at making USTs? They practiced! If you've listened to the old utau videos from 2008-2010 you'd noticed that most (not all) of the Usts were kinda crappy. So Nicole just practice at Ust making.

To talk more about what Adlez said I'd recommend making the ust by ear in UTAU. Thats how you can make USTs more efficiently since you have little experience (In MY OPINION!!!)

Shiinami has some great videos about UST making by the way

Anonymous62034

Teto's Territory
Though you can make it by ear, what I do is I base mine off of sheet music. If there is sheet music, I just use that, and it makes my life a whole lot easier (well, it's a loose base usually). If there's no sheet music, I find the tempo, and I figure out the rhythm of the vocals based on the tempo and put them in as notes (in UTAU it's based on that, too, in case you didn't know). That's just what I do :smile: The other strategy, in FL Studio, works just as well, if not better for a lot of people, I've just never done it... Maybe I should XD But if you don't like the FL Studio one you can always try my sheet music strategy :smile:

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I don't make my USTs with midis cause they cause more problems for me than they solve ;; I do mine by ear. There's a program called Wavetone you can use to help find the notes a bit better. And it kinda does take practice. Start off with a song that's not really complicated, even if it has a UST. Don't ever shy away from making a UST just cause one already exists~

Reactions: Tema