Resource icon

Tutorial How to Pronounce the Japanese R

Raiyux

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Raiyux submitted a new resource:

How to Pronounce the Japanese R - How to Pronounce the Japanese R

I've been asking a lot of questions and not really helping, so I thought I could help with something that a surprising number of people have trouble with; pronunciation of the Japanese R. This will be a beginner's tutorial for those who struggle with it.

Honestly, it's not that hard. I don't think there's any reason why people can't learn to do this, unless you have a legitimate reason pertaining to a medical condition of the mouth. However! Under no circumstances am I insulting those who...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
In my opinion, the Japanese R feels a bit similar with the Spanish R, except less harsh.
(I used to take Spanish.)

I also hear the T's, when some UTAUs sing it, a bit too dentalized. (A word my choral teacher uses)
Japanese t's are a bit more 'Deh's rather than 'Teh's, with the d part very soft.

...Am I making sense...? =_=

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
faerimagic link said:
In my opinion, the Japanese R feels a bit similar with the Spanish R, except less harsh.
(I used to take Spanish.)

I also hear the T's, when some UTAUs sing it, a bit too dentalized. (A word my choral teacher uses)
Japanese t's are a bit more 'Deh's rather than 'Teh's, with the d part very soft.

...Am I making sense...? =_=

Yeah, it's like that essentially.

With the T...well, Japanese lacks the English "air puffs", like with English Ks and Ts. Therefore, T and D are pronounced with the toungue in a very, very similar position. The only difference I notice when I say the two consonants is that T has slightly more air to it and Ds keep the tip of the toungue flatter than Ts, which curl it slightly inward. Sorry if that didn't make much sense. ;;

Raiyux

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Aster Selene link said:
Also, a note to add.
If all else fails - because there are some people who simply can't, despite trying very hard - just stick with the l. It's not the same, and it's still wrong, and should only be a last resort, but it's usable.

You're right. It's better to use the L. A lot of people seems to just use R and it doesn't really sound good. :/

I'm definitely adding this info. Thanks for sharing that. ^^

Prince Syo

Momo's Minion
An english L is incorrect

However it can be an L sound, like in spanish or french
In these languages the tongue touches the roof of your mouth instead of your teeth (like in english)

It can also be a alveolar tap. Like the spanish R when inbetween two vowels.

It can also be kind of  approximant (like the english r) but your mouth stays completely open when you pronounce (it doesn't come into a "oooh" shape when you pronounce like in english) and there is still a slight tapping motion of the tongue.

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I personally think an English L sounds just as bad if not worse than an English R for a Japanese R :/  Honestly, if you can't figure out the Japanese "R" at all, then just do a soft English R, not an L. -w-

But this guide should help anyone who can't figure it out~ it's not that hard!  :3 good job explaining.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Hmmmm I think a good reference for the R sound may be the word "matter"

The way the "tt" it's pronounced in american accent on this word sounds like the R of japanese... or a bit closer to it... just need to pronounce the vowel correctly and it can sound more correct.

Some people mistake the spanish R with the thrilled one or RR. Which is also incorrect (I have seen this in a italian voicebank).

If I am wrong, please tell me... XD;;

Raiyux

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Everyone has a good point. Even though both ways are still wrong, no one really has to agree on which one sounds "better", or whether they both sound equally as bad. If it came down to having to choose one or the other, it's entirely up to which one the user prefers.

Personally, I do think that both sound equally as wrong. I just prefer the use of L over R on the grounds that it seems more correct as far as where the sound is actually produced. Well...and because it seems like in slower songs, the R starts to sound closer to an L because the tongue is flicked more slowly. That's just my opinion, anyway. (Oddly enough, I've heard some legit Japanese songs where they pronounced L and some where they actually trilled their Rs...)

@ Yue Nagareboshi
I never even thought of that, before. I think that would be a useful reference. I'm going to sort of paraphrase that and add it to the guide. ^^

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
@ Yue Nagareboshi
I never even thought of that, before. I think that would be a useful reference. I'm going to sort of paraphrase that and add it to the guide. ^^

Please, instead of me, put Yesi-chan as the reference; since she was the one who gave me this idea time ago. :D

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
> Notices Raiyux still has 0 karma
> Gives Raiyux a +1 upgrade

Thanks for the guide but I like doing things my own way... for obvious reasons :3

More likely than not this guide will be useful to many people.

Raiyux

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hentai link said:
> Notices Raiyux still has 0 karma
> Gives Raiyux a +1 upgrade

Thanks for the guide but I like doing things my own way... for obvious reasons :3

More likely than not this guide will be useful to many people.

Thanks! Still not entirely sure what that's for, though. XD

I really hope it helps people, though I'm not sure I'm all that good at explaining these kinds of things.

mercurialNitrogen

Momo's Minion
What about Macne Nana's r's?

I like to think I have a good ear and her r's definately sound like l's yet she's voiced by a native Japanese. Personally, I agree that an English L should be used as a last resort but it is a lot better than an English r.

UTAUBeginner:D

Teto's Territory
I found it east to try and say 'Kokoro' then 'Koro' then i could get the 'r' right. but when i say it it sounds like i say 'Kokodo'. I fail at this, and so does my friend, she says it with an English 'r'. But it seems a bit helpful for me. Maybe it can be helpful to others?

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Another tip is to mare the english "R" sound and then move the tongue in the same position to the back of the teeth...

And if you can pronounce the spanish "R" ... then your golded, just don't do the trill
(even though after some searching...some Japanese people do trill their "R"s)

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
JeremyB796 link said:
Another tip is to mare the english \"R\" sound and then move the tongue in the same position to the back of the teeth...

And if you can pronounce the spanish \"R\" ... then your golded, just don't do the trill
(even though after some searching...some Japanese people do trill their \"R\"s)

Spanish has a thrilled and a soft R. As you say, the spanish R that is placed in between vowels is the most close to a japanese R.

About the research: Yeah, some japanese people use a thrilled R, but it's not recommended as a base one. The reason is that is used for a "disrespectful/vulgar" way of talking. An example are the way of talking of the Yakuza or other kind of bandits.

It's recomendable in some genres like rock and metal, but not as a usual way of singing or using it in HANASU regularly.

To my own recomendation, I always say to people to record the japanese R sounds, a thrilled R sound, and a L sound. This gives the UTAULOID flexibility in some genres, as well as sounding more natural in some transitions (like using a LA instead of a RA after a vocalic N sound).

YumiStar link said:
I found it east to try and say 'Kokoro' then 'Koro' then i could get the 'r' right. but when i say it it sounds like i say 'Kokodo'. I fail at this, and so does my friend, she says it with an English 'r'. But it seems a bit helpful for me. Maybe it can be helpful to others?

using a D intead of a R while singing/recording may sound incorrect and even really annoying to some people (on both sides of the community). One of the early acts of Vikotoro had this D sound instead of R and it was really stressing and distastful to listen to. He was able to fix this in the future, which is good.

d3rsemurderer link said:
What about Macne Nana's r's?

I like to think I have a good ear and her r's definately sound like l's yet she's voiced by a native Japanese. Personally, I agree that an English L should be used as a last resort but it is a lot better than an English r.

There's a difference between the english L and the used in Macne Nana voicebanks (and any other Macne). I have listened that some people that records using L sounds puts some stress in the transition of the consonant to the vowel, which really gives it an english accent into it and, to my own taste, I think is a bit annoying.

Macne's L sounds are more softer in transitions and without stress.... Again I can compare it too much to a spanish-speaking L sound in between vowels.

This is just my POV about this topic.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Mario.MD link said:
To my own recomendation, I always say to people to record the japanese R sounds, a thrilled R sound, and a L sound. This gives the UTAULOID flexibility in some genres, as well as sounding more natural in some transitions (like using a LA instead of a RA after a vocalic N sound).

My utau has all three...

What about the "gl" sounding one? it sounds to me like a "g" in front of the regualar japanese "r" sound.