How to record clearly and powerful in a apartment / recording problem

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hey everyone! I live in an apartment and my problem isn't other tenants being loud, I just am too scared to record loudly, I know for a fact that the apartment above me is pretty soundproofed however I cannot get myself to record anything louder then a soft tone due to nervousness, my last voice bank was pretty strong (since I recorded it when I was 14 when I lived with my parents and could scream as loud as I want)

do you know of any ways or spaces in a apartment that could be soundproofed or could muffle the sound of my recording to the other apartments. without having a legit isolation studio or closet?

Also I have a blue yeti and my recordings are coming out super bass-y sounding and I don't know why, am I recording to close to the microphone or something?

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For the bassy part, you should be 1ft-1.5ft away from the mic
As for sound proofing, you can't soundproof a whole apartment unless you're rich.

Your best bet is to find a closet you can stand in and turn that into a ghetto recording booth+closet.
But you would need to define a budget/what you can afford for that to be planned out, but it's either you do it or you don't.

You can wait until your neighbors aren't home too, as long as you do it during the daytime you should be fine.

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
For the bassy part, you should be 1ft-1.5ft away from the mic
As for sound proofing, you can't soundproof a whole apartment unless you're rich.

Your best bet is to find a closet you can stand in and turn that into a ghetto recording booth+closet.
But you would need to define a budget/what you can afford for that to be planned out, but it's either you do it or you don't.

You can wait until your neighbors aren't home too, as long as you do it during the daytime you should be fine.
1 foot away?! I was doing it literally touching the pop filter hahah and that is true, I suppose I could be a little louder since I can during the day

Fanicom

Grandma Hyena
Defender of Defoko
Maybe find another place to record... but if you dun have a budget, try recording from under a makeshift blanket tent ahah. (it works better if ya use a laptop)

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I recommend just going into a closet where there is a lot of clothes and stuff. all the clothes absorbs most of the sound. close the door, too. do it during the daytime or something at least you're not going to wake people up lol. or maybe go to a friend's house if they're okay with it.