How to stop Utauloids from "breaking up" when they sing?

Fimbulvetr

Poiyo's Pollos
EDIT: It's fixed, for the most part. I didn't even notice the missing vowels/hyphens at the beginning of some notes! However, I'll still be accepting any further advice you have to offer, as I am still far from mastering UTAU. :smile:

I'm pretty new to Utau. I've done a couple covers with Sorane Rana, but I haven't completely switched over to another Utau yet, mainly because Rana is easier to use (Though she is missing a few samples, it's a quick fix). I've tried using others for different songs, but for some reason, lots of them tend to get kind of "broken up "at parts, as in they aren't making all of the sounds they're supposed to.
I don't do anything with resamplers, and the only plugins I ever use are Romaji to Hiragana and Lyric Diphonizer. I don't do a whole lot of fancy stuff with envelopes either, and I have no idea what otoing is (But I do like to mess with flags a lot). I'm mostly still just trying to get used to Utau right now, and any help or ideas as to why they keep "breaking up" would be appreciated. Thanks. :smile:

The Voicebanks I have are Sorane Rana, Sorane Yui (Most of her banks work well too.), Matsudappoiyo (Most, if not all), Matsudappoine (Most, if not all), Hibiki Shinji (Creamy), Caeles, and Akuta.

(These are the songs I've done so far https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGAirwiyJ4Lc79yD6lQpijw/videos)

Last edited:

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
It's possible you haven fitted the ust to the voice you're trying to use. When opening a ust make sure to select all the notes and right click then go to properties. in this window you want to clear STP, set modulation to 0 and hit clear on overlap and preutterance. After that you hit the reset button wich is a couple of buttons past the pay button, and p2p3/p3p4 then ACPT.

If this doesnt fix the issue, add a sample and a screen shot of the ust and oto of the bank you're having problems with.

Reactions: Fimbulvetr

Dangosan

Jellie Bellie Pete Rat Gummie Candie
Defender of Defoko
Apply some Consonant Velocity to the problematic notes. Always write the CV value to a tab above the note because UTAU tends to forget too large values.
If it's not enough, edit the oto. Many VCV VBs are sloppily tuned with default parameters.

Fimbulvetr

Poiyo's Pollos
It's possible you haven fitted the ust to the voice you're trying to use. When opening a ust make sure to select all the notes and right click then go to properties. in this window you want to clear STP, set modulation to 0 and hit clear on overlap and preutterance. After that you hit the reset button wich is a couple of buttons past the pay button, and p2p3/p3p4 then ACPT.

If this doesnt fix the issue, add a sample and a screen shot of the ust and oto of the bank you're having problems with.

Covering BIG BROTHER with Caeles.
I think it may have helped a little bit, but he's still having problems here and there. I just noticed that a couple of the notes don't have a "-" or vowel before them, so that may also be a problem, I think? He also sort of sounds like he's underwater, but I also haven't added any flags yet, so he may get better after that and some quick edits.

Screenshot 2015-08-27 14.10.32.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1440699364][/DOUBLEPOST]
Apply some Consonant Velocity to the problematic notes. Always write the CV value to a tab above the note because UTAU tends to forget too large values.
If it's not enough, edit the oto. Many VCV VBs are sloppily tuned with default parameters.
Thanks, I'll have to try some of those. I'm not entirely sure what oto is or how to edit it, but I think I know where to find it? I'm just not sure how it works.

Reactions: HIRATELIER

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
You're going to have to add in those hyphens manually, if they do not appear in the default ust and do not work when using a VCV converter. Occasionally USTmakers will use CV samples to make the transition between notes more forceful. Whatcha mean by he sounds underwater? do you have any audio examples?

Dangosan

Jellie Bellie Pete Rat Gummie Candie
Defender of Defoko
Or just write a CV phoneme, then Shift+LMB on the note. A drop-down list will appear.

Fimbulvetr

Poiyo's Pollos
You're going to have to add in those hyphens manually, if they do not appear in the default ust and do not work when using a VCV converter. Occasionally USTmakers will use CV samples to make the transition between notes more forceful. Whatcha mean by he sounds underwater? do you have any audio examples?
Yeah, he stopped breaking up so much after I added the hyphens! By that, I meant it sounds like he's underwater, trying to blow bubbles with his mouth as he sings, or something of the sort. XD That part is mostly fixed now too, thankfully.
[DOUBLEPOST=1440700286][/DOUBLEPOST]
Or just write a CV phoneme, then Shift+LMB on the note. A drop-down list will appear.

Oh, I haven't heard about that method yet. I'll have to give that one a try as well!