How's this tuning?

taigz

dead
Defender of Defoko

i_do_simple.png

I did things. Not as hardcore as the other's tuning, but still loved it.

Hey guys. I tried making a "Last Revolver" UST from scratch. And unlike with my Oath Sign UST (should I update it with some pitchbends?), I'm tuning this one for reals. From scratch. And I'm really been working on it in times where I'm not logged in. :P

I'm not that good when doing a lot of pitchbends; even my pitchbends in my Seven Crimes and Punishments cover are pretty simple, and this is the first time I did real tuning.

So I need your thoughts and advice. How's this one? Does this sound realistic and emotional enough? Is it more or less realistic and emotional than the original song? Should I play more with the pitchbends for more emotion?

Thanks. :smile:

Reactions: RenzoA

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
It's kinda hard for me to judge since the notes aren't properly crossfaded (select all notes and click on either P2P3 or P1P4) making it not blend well and makes transitions less natural than CV voicebanks already are.

Here's a little critique on your tuning:
- Consider well where you place your control points. For example, you place your control point for "ya" and "ri" in your screenshot on C5# and B4. Are there other notes in the UST that are on those pitches? You might want to focus on placing the control points on pitches where other notes in the UST are as they could sound off-pitch otherwise. (this is probably related to music theory but I never looked it up myself so don't trust me this statement)
- Consider well too on the spacing of the control points. The dip in between "ru" and "na" is wide which makes the emphasize of "na" last longer than say the spike you used in "ya". Too wide of a distance can make notes sound offpitch and too short can make them sound robotic

Here's some extra tips:
- Did you use vibrato? They sound great at longer notes or notes at the end of the verse (of course you can put them in between but that's where I mostly put them)
- 2-point pitchbends sound very nice despite being simple. Sloping down pitchbends especially imo
upload_2017-2-22_23-32-43.png
- Here's some good 5-pitch pitchbends that you'd want to use on notes that you want to emphasize a lot
upload_2017-2-22_23-34-47.png

(sorry if this seems messy or makes no sense >.< Tuning is an art and doesn't really have rules, just techniques and "guidelines" to make sure you're not overdoing things)

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
- Consider well where you place your control points. For example, you place your control point for "ya" and "ri" in your screenshot on C5# and B4. Are there other notes in the UST that are on those pitches? You might want to focus on placing the control points on pitches where other notes in the UST are as they could sound off-pitch otherwise. (this is probably related to music theory but I never looked it up myself so don't trust me this statement)

This point was really confusing to me when tuning. Technically humans singing is not perfect, so even when a human sing a song entirely on key, the small pitches will go "off key" a lot of time, but they are short so it is hard to notice.
I used to listen to what other tuners said "always put pitchbends on-key" but sometimes this makes the pitchbends way higher/lower than desired. I always place them on key if possible, but when not I put them off key. Just be sure that those off key pitchbends dont take a major part of the note! (that was my main problem btw)

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
This point was really confusing to me when tuning. Technically humans singing is not perfect, so even when a human sing a song entirely on key, the small pitches will go "off key" a lot of time, but they are short so it is hard to notice.
I used to listen to what other tuners said "always put pitchbends on-key" but sometimes this makes the pitchbends way higher/lower than desired. I always place them on key if possible, but when not I put them off key. Just be sure that those off key pitchbends dont take a major part of the note! (that was my main problem btw)
Yea humans don't always sing on the right key, but this is a "guideline" to make sure you're not overdoing it. Do it too much, your tuning will resemble a crappy singer. Like what I said in my previous post, tuning is an art, and in art while there are "guidelines" you can ignore them when you're eventually sure of what you're doing.

In the end, judgment on whether the note sounds good or not with the rest is a major skill in tuning.