I need help choosing a mic

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Would you be willing to go XLR and/or are you considering upgrading in the future?

kamonohashi

a small person
Defender of Defoko
Would you be willing to go XLR and/or are you considering upgrading in the future?
I might upgrade later, but for now I'd just want to use a mic of which I can have nice samples. Also, what exactly is XLR? I feel like I should know this oops xc

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
XLR is the standard for mics that studios use, it allows you to plug a mic using a balanced connection (cancels interference by design) into the interface/preamp of your choice.
What's nice about it is that you can replace the mic without replacing the interface (or visa-versa) and can give you a nice bank for your buck.

I'll get a list of options in a sec.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
In your price range, I'd like to recommend a few things and then also suggest alternatives that might be slightly more expensive but worth it.
I will try to keep things as strictly within your budget as possible.
All links go to Amazon but search around for the best prices! (Be award of shipping as that will changed depending where you purchase)

The Basics:
The Nady SCM-960 Microphone
This is a very good introductory mic that much resembles the sound or the AT2020 or similar, While I would normally recommend those mics this one is set at a very good price point.
It features both cardioid and omidirectional pickup patterns and a pad switch for loud sound sources (should you need it)
This mic can be had for $60 or less

Quick overview of pickup patterns:
spec-cardioid.png
- Cardiod(Unidirectional): is your common front-only pickup pattern, it focuses to the front and rejects the back. This pattern is know for having a proximity effect which adds a bass boost as you get closer to the mic, this can be both good or bad depending on situation.
spec-omni.png
- Omnidirectional: is is pickup pattern that records in all directions evenly, you normally won't need this as an utau user but if you have a good room you can use this to eliminate proximity effect.

The Behringer UMC202HD USB Audio Interface
An USB Audio Interface allows you to...well...interface your PC with your audio equipment. This model features an XLR jack and built in pre-amp for you to use a microphone.
This is a revamped version of a previous model that features higher sample rates, but is still relatively cheap.
This model can often be had for around $60 as well

GLS Audio 15ft XLR cable
For connecting your mic to your to your interface, duh.
About $12

Total? around $132, not too shabby eh?

Additional:
You also should get a stand (you probably have nothing that you can use right now)
I would normally recommend a floor stand as a stand-up posture will let you project better and achieve better recordings.
However all the stands I can think of are ever so slightly out of your price range.
The On Stage DS7200B is a desk stand that fits in your budget that can get fairly tall at 13 inches (or taller if you break it like I did...oops).
This Stand is like $13

Alternatives:
Interfaces:
I won't suggest anything cheaper than what I have previously suggested because that's suicide, But if you wanna spring for it then I suggest the Steinburg UR12.
The UR12 has better preamps than the Behringer for not much more and better drivers. (the Behringer is not updated to Windows 10 yet as far as I know).

Stand:
If you want a desk stand but also want more reach and flexibility then try this one. It's not super great and I wouldn't really recommend it but it'll do the job and swings around. like Sia.
If you can get a stand up one then I suggest something like the three options here:
Samson MK-10
Have it, love it, torchered it, still works.
On Stage Stands MS7701B
Slight nicer from what I've read, more metal involved.
World Tour MS7
Literally a cheaper, black version of the On-Stage one.

Optional:
Shockmount
Shockmounts are good for removing vibrations from interfering with recording. maybe your room shakes a little when a car drives by, this would help.
Pop Filter
Oh please dear god get or make one of these somehow they help your pops, plosives, and sibilance so much I beg of you.
The don't have to be fancy, even something like this or this voice be fine.
or even make one one from some pantyhose and a wire hangar.

That's all I got! Hope this has been helpful! If you have any questions then feel free to ask.

Last edited:

cubialpha

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Not getting all the bells and whistles and this big elaborate setup is not suicide. Try the AT2020 or Blue Yeti. If it's a hobby, all of that stuff just isn't necessary.

Here's some raw samples of mine from the Blue Yeti; it works perfectly well for UTAU purposes, especially considering UTAU wrecks sample quality anyway by processing and rendering it through engines.
https://clyp.it/myjcjsdi
https://clyp.it/ca0t51dh

The most important thing is your recording environment honestly. Somewhere compact, (mostly) soundproof, and very very quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kitcat190

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I'm not one for recommending my mic, because it tends to be hated a lot. However, I've actually had no bad experiences with it. Especially running it in UTAU. It really does matter on the recording environment, you could have the best mic in the world, but if you have noise, it will ruin the sample.
I'd recommend looking at this post http://fuzzleyan.tumblr.com/post/40163329824/the-great-fuzzle-masterpost-on-mics-for-utau-users
It is a tad bit old, but it has personal accounts and some added information.

As for my microphone that most people turn heads at, is the Blue Snowball. Again, I've had no problems with it, and it's certainly a huge step up from my old mic. The only issue I have, is the recording setting. I have cars in constant motion and if there's just one person home, forget about it.
Here's some examples of what the samples sound like run through UTAU.

It also helps to limit any noise, and using either a homemade pop filter, or a bought one. My mic(which was in a special color) was aroung 60-70 dollars on amazon and I bought a 5 dollar pop filter with it. Best of lucks finding a mic!

Reactions: Leah and cubialpha

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Not getting all the bells and whistles and this big elaborate setup is not suicide.

I was talking about getting a worse preamp/interface.
The Blue Yeti is a very bad choice as it's quality is very poor and you pay more for aesthetics than audio quality, the at2020 is overpriced and has a small diaphragm...more of an instrument mic imo.
I suggested xlr because you can replace it in part if you want/as needed:smile: (this is actually basic af, very simple)

Nice thing about stuff like this is that the price fluctuates less and you can sell it at the end of everything.

Last edited:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hey, I appreciate you two trying to simplify microphone options for OP. But considering the amount of money OP is willing to spend, getting some cheaper XLR equipment is a good option. The number of components seems intimidating but Jey is honestly trying to help.

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
The Blue mics are going to cost just as much - or more - as a quality setup will. You're paying for brand with Blue mics. They're recognizable.

I can personally attest to the absolute insane quality difference after I dumped my Blue mics in favour of something that suited my vocal timbre; it's something you don't really notice until you make the upgrade, but it's a world of improvement.

Not to mention, my entire setup ended up costing less than a Yeti.

I find the dismissal of other types of microphones unfair on these types of threads; I believe that people are quick to assume that someone asking about microphones is going to be nothing more than some random hobbyist.

If a person is asking about legitimate quality microphones, it's a question best left to those who understand the science behind microphone selections.... or someone who can take a peek at a mic's frequency range and audio pickup patterns and determine from there.

There would be chaos if only one Vocaloid was ever suggested for every song in existence. Why are microphones subjected to different standards?

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The argument of "it's just a hobby" is just... No. No. No. No. Do you settle for Chinese bootlegs of games just because gaming is a hobby? Or poorly scanned manga/American comics on 8×11 letter paper from the printer and stapled together because it's "just a hobby?" No. You want the quality the real deal gives you, so why tolerate lackluster audio results just because it's Utau and a hobby? Utau isn't a hobby where in you indulge in what other people have made what you're consuming. Utau gives you the chance to be the creator. It let's you create something in which you can be proud to show off to others.

If that means that the OP is willing to spend their money on what @Jey has suggested rather than settle on a suggested brand that has been proven by both himself and @Terindie to be inferior based on their own usage and subsequent upgrades to XLR powered mics, then that needs to be respected. Just because something is voted by the majority doesn't make it of high quality.

Reactions: Kiyoteru and na4a4a

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm getting quite sick of every mic recommendation thread turning into drama around here. All of you, watch your tones. Especially @Tsukine Sayuri, your examples are entirely hyperbolic and no longer constructive. This is my second time noticing your tone being an issue, so consider this a direct verbal warning.

Different people will have different opinions about this matter. However, I think Jey's suggestions make the most sense based on the budget provided. In the end, no one can tell you how much to spend on a mic, but they can tell you what the best quality for your budget is. From there, I only ask that users stay respectful of one another's situations and opinions.

Nat

(๑•﹏•)
Defender of Defoko
oh hey, im looking for a new mic in the price range too heh heh

Last edited: