i think i made a chinese reclist??

Discussion in 'Media Reviews/Critiques' started by eternalNoob, Jan 5, 2017.

1. eternalNoob

eternalNoob Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    I wrote one real quick, it would be nice if someone were to critique it?
    It was heavily inspired by those mora reclists with like all of the consonants ending with the same vowel on one string. I'm not sure if this is like cvc or something, so i put it as final inital final. It was made out of frustration with chinese voicebanks' reclists (cough cough oscar xia yu yao cough) plus I've been thinking about this for a while.
    it's just a word document on google drive: here
    So it came out like this : f –f if if if if (etc) and it appears like this :
    ian –ian dian tian nian lian

Maybe more experienced .oto makers can cut it off so it’s more of “n (_)ian” because having, for example, "dian dian" sound like dian ian dian would be strange right? Like you already said ian.
    Maybe it can also be di ian dian or even dian n_d dian

not sure idk
    (I can't pronounce mandarin very well + I've never really done a complex oto so I haven't tested this out yet)
    (i got the list of all possible sounds from here, which also comes with sound! Please only use the first tone, I don't think that mandarin songs use tones. Unless you want to make like a chinese talkloid or something but that sounds really really hard. --> https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-pinyin-chart.php)
    (That strange u with the two dots at the top are represented with v. Like instead of nǚ the pinyin is nv. Also because they were in the same column, the ones like ju or xiu were made to be like jv and xiv. you can change that if you want)
    (i seperated them by the groups they were in on the chart with some exception of the w and y sounds. Also if all the sounds were on one line that would be hard. I tried to say some of the longer lists of sounds like the u's and ran out of breath. Also the zh ch sh r sounds were put together so if you mess up it won't affect, say ,the d t n m sounds or whatever and you won't have have to rerecord the whole thing on oremo.)
    (breaths aren't included sorry)

partial likes this.
  3. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei / Kuya Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    What do you mean by "mora style" ? "Mora count" refers to the number of syllables per string (typically VCV) of Japanese reclists, since "mora" is the word for a syllable in Japanese.

Anyway, I can't really tell what's going on unless you explain the intention of the OTO more, since the oto is where a reclist really takes shape. Maybe take one string and show me how you break it down into its parts?
    My current guess is that "ai -ai dai tai nai lai" becomes [ai d] [dai] [ai t] [tai] [ai n] [nai] [ai l] [lai], and so on.

If that's the case, it reminds me of the CVVChinese reclist. I've never used any voicemith banks (Xia Yu Yao, Joan, Oscar) but I have done some experimentation with CVVChinese banks. They're pretty fun and straightforward to use, due to the reclist being designed for presamp compatibility. (Even if presamp is really dodgy on my computer, doing the UST by hand isn't too much extra work.)
    Here's the website: http://cvvchinese.lofter.com/

If you decide to OTO in such a way that breaks diphthongs and final consonants into separate parts, then some samples would be redundant. For example, if you had [cha] and [ang], you can make [chang] without needing to record a separate thing for that. And if you had [jia] [ga] and [ao] , you could make [jiao] and [gao] without needing to have extra samples for those specifically.

4. eternalNoob

eternalNoob Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    Thanks for this critique and also properly explaining to me what mora is! I had simply assumed that it meant the style of format and organization of "_vowel consonantvvowel-(so on)".
    You're right about why I wanted to make it one string with the [ai d] [dai] (so on), like CVVC! For example the sentence "wo kan shu" ("i read a book") could be done as [wo] [o k] [kan] [n s(h)] [shu].
    This was made more out of frustration with Voicemith banks because, as nicely recorded as they are, they seem like they could be smoother but their lists are incomplete. For example, I was recently trying to make a mandarin cover of Honey by Cyndi Wang (that song that was made popular a few years ago with a Japanese cover by Meiko) and was using Xia Yu Yao. So the first line is "honey" [ha] [ni]. There was the sound [a n] so I (think I) was able to make the transition better. But then for the second line "ni bai ai fang jin" I could only make it [ni] [ba] [a ai] [fang] [jing]. It feels like there are lots of sounds missing from the banks. I would like to make a more thorough CVVC-like list with sounds like [i b] and [ng j]. I had thought that by making the reclist in this format all possible sounds can be quickly done but I guess that some of the listed words could become a bit redundant later on when actually making an oto.
    I will admit that I have not used other Chinese language utau than the Voicemith ones. I would prefer to use one voiced by a native speaker so that the pronunciation is correct but many Chinese utau can only be downloaded from sites like baidu (edit: looking at you pan.baidu, stop making my browser turn red and go into some panic warning screen), which I feel like they are a bit intrusive and also very, very slow to load. Plus they require a log in and often trigger warnings of being unsafe from my browser (chrome) when I click the download button. The Voicemith banks were uploaded on MEGA so I think that they are faster and maybe a bit more private/safer (?) when it came to downloading.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  5. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei / Kuya Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Hanami has a CVVChinese bank here if you want to check it out.
    http://utau.wiki/utau:hanami-hoshino

I can't find anything for you that isn't on Baidu, sorry. I do have plans to record a CVVChinese bank myself in the future.