Incorrect USTs

Iscabird

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Misha link said:
Dreaming Little Bird had some errors in it I believe.
"Some errors" doesn't even begin to cover it - most of the ust is off-key, apart from the chorus.

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Kiibei link said:
[quote author=Misha link=topic=2180.msg17914#msg17914 date=1340230287]
"Some errors" doesn't even begin to cover it - most of the ust is off-key, apart from the chorus.
[/quote]

If you're talking about masterchichan's.. if I remember correctly, it's not off key. You have to tune it on your own / change the MOD...?
Tai-Soro/TouneSoro186 remade one/ made her own version (but it's not up for DL yet. u 3 u)

Iscabird

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
PandaLolii link said:
[quote author=Kiibei link=topic=2180.msg17950#msg17950 date=1340263729]
[quote author=Misha link=topic=2180.msg17914#msg17914 date=1340230287]
[/quote]

If you're talking about masterchichan's.. if I remember correctly, it's not off key. You have to tune it on your own / change the MOD...?
Tai-Soro/TouneSoro186 remade one/ made her own version (but it's not up for DL yet. u 3 u)
[/quote]No, I'm talking about the old ust that munou adapted from a vsq of Dreaming Little Bird. Or at least, that's what I think they did.

deactivated

Teto's Territory
A lot of the earlier kokoro and kokoro kiseki usts are terrible and off time.. idk who by, there are new ones now that are fixed though.

Fleeting Moon Flower has a ust but I have never found an off vocal for it, so I guess you can say thats an error? I have never seen an UTAU cover either...

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
well, i dont think this is a good thread. generally its like your criticising the ust makers for mistakes.
at least they tried right?
they pretty much put in a lot of effort into making the ust. you cant exactly blame them. its tiring. at least they dont wait for the ust to be made.
so why are you guys complaining about it?
if its wrong lyrics just change it.
if its off time there's not much we can do, unless you know how to fix it.
dont go criticizing their usts because they made some mistakes.
why not you try making it for yourself :/

Dojan

Momo's Minion
There's this one Regret Message UST that's so full of lyrical errors that a lot of the song doesn't make sense, and the parts that do make sense still doesn't make any sense.

JYURIE || 10リイ || LYRIE link said:
well, i dont think this is a good thread. generally its like your criticising the ust makers for mistakes.
at least they tried right?
they pretty much put in a lot of effort into making the ust. you cant exactly blame them. its tiring. at least they dont wait for the ust to be made.
so why are you guys complaining about it?
if its wrong lyrics just change it.
if its off time there's not much we can do, unless you know how to fix it.
dont go criticizing their usts because they made some mistakes.
why not you try making it for yourself :/

I've made USTs in the past. Putting down "a lot of effort" into making the UST, then not giving a shit about the lyrics is just dumb. Look up the lyrics, listen to the song, get to know the song, THEN make a UST. Timing etc. can be difficult, but the lyrical part is the LEAST difficult part of making the entire UST, there's a ton of lyrics available for nearly every single song.
Sure, some are wrong, quite a lot infact, that's where "knowing the song" comes in...

It's not that we don't appreciate people's hard work, but when people sloppily throws something together, and people keep on using such USTs without thinking twice to make covers, that's what gets to me.
I've done it as well in the past, heck, even now some errors actually manage to get past my scrutinization, but I spend a lot of time checking, double-checking and re-checking the lyrics to make sure everything sounds right. If I'm not 100% satisfied with the result, I don't release the UST.
Why? Because I take a certain pride in my work, and I feel a lot better if I've done it properly.

Asuka

Teto's Territory
Well, while it does make sense to at least make sure the .UST is right, the people who use the .UST has their part of responsibility as well. To make sure that the .UST they're using is correct. They can at least take some time to edit the .UST instead of just using it and releasing their cover?

UkimeKageku

Teto's Territory
Well I hope no one who makes USTs try and type each lyric note by hand, because I think that's how most mistakes can be made. If the lyric box at the top in UTAU is used, I don't see how lyrical errors can be made really unless the source where they get their lyrics from is wrong.. ^^; I actually made my first UST before and the hardest part was making it from scratch and getting the pitchbends right.

But I'm not one for putting down anyone's work cause mistakes happen sometimes.. XD;

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hachiko link said:
Well, while it does make sense to at least make sure the .UST is right, the people who use the .UST has their part of responsibility as well. To make sure that the .UST they're using is correct. They can at least take some time to edit the .UST instead of just using it and releasing their cover?

Pretty much this. If all you do is slap on some vocals to the UST and expect it to be gorgeous you get what's coming to you, I'm sorry. If you don't go over the UST and try and edit it to make it sound nice that's your fault.

But that being said I feel like if you are going to share a UST or VSQ or something you should make it sound nice and pretty too. Don't just make a UST for the views and attention or because you feel like you're expected to.  Mistakes can happen indeed but when your pitch is WAY off or the lyrics are way incorrect...I feel like that's borderline ridiculous and you probably made a UST because you felt like you had to and put in like no effort.

I mean what is the difference between making a UST and releasing it and making a simple cover. I mean aren't you making a cover when you make a UST of an already existing song? Don't you want it to be as accurate and awesome sauce sounding as possible just like if you weren't making the UST yourself? So you should make sure it's as correct as possible in the end whether you decide to share or not.

scarfu

Teto's Territory
Well OK I'm gonna throw my two cents into the mix here for a little bit:

I really don't like the attitude going around this thread and the UTAU community in general where people seem to think that the people who make usts like OWE that to the general public. Like, the general aura of this thread regarding released usts is OH THEY NEED TO MAKE IT PRETTY AND PERFECT SO EVERYONE CAN USE IT--OK no LMAO When I personally make usts, I make them for my OWN use, because I like and want to cover the song, and then if the ust is neat enough to be used by others, I release it. I don't make it for OTHER people and I don't feel that a lot of people do that either.

Tl;dr UST makers make the usts for themselves generally, not with the general public in mind.

If you don't like how their ust is set up you are more than welcome to go out and make your own.

That aside, the thing is like lyrical mistakes are bound to happen--we're all humans here. I've made a loooot of usts and some of them have lyrical mistakes for a lot of reasons--sometimes the romaji lyrics I looked at ended up being wrong, sometimes there weren't officially done romaji lyrics so I had to do my best with JP romanization tools and my own ear. Frankly, lyrical mistakes are SO easy to fix that I really don't think it's a big deal unless literally everything in the ust is wrong, in which case I can see it being annoying, but if it's like one or two notes, seriously guys? LMAO

That's just what I think though.

SakisCookie

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Look, guys. The whole reason I made this thread was because I noticed that every single cover of a certain UST had a wrong note, and I wanted to point it out so that people who used it in the future could change it.

I know all about crappy USTs. I've made two. They worked well enough for me but they were, in fact, very very sucky.

I wasn't trying to start a debate or anything. I wasn't trying to demand anything of UST makers. I just wanted to point out something I noticed and allow you to point out your own things as well.

If this is just going to become something troublesome, maybe I should ask an admin to take it down.

Lemondolly

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
In Joking Speaker ust by umbrellaguns, the notes "de de ki ta wa ta shi" Are all wrong. :T People just keep on using it, to!

Mrs.Peach

Married Sugar Mama
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Seriously.... seriously... seriously...

Unless the UST is from a fluent Japanese speaking person, I expect there to be errors. Most of the UST makers do not speak fluent Japanese. If notes are wrong, fix it. If lyrics are wrong fix it. Leave the other people who cant or don't know that it is wrong alone.

Why don't you make your own perfect UST yourself?

Saki, you can't stop people using something if its the only one out there.

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
I have no problem with a thread that points out specific mistakes with USTs so that people can fix them on their own covers.

However I would like people to keep this thread to FACTS on notes and lyrics, as in "in _____ UST the lyrics at ______ verse should be ______" and so on.

I'd like to keep pitchbending out of the argument if possible. If you don't like how a UST is pitchbent, then you can either try to edit it on your own or ask someone else to help you tune.

However, knowing which lyrics in USTs are incorrect is a huge help. I myself have a few USTs that have one syllable out of the whole thing off o_x so I don't mind being corrected.

For instance, I went by ear on the "rai rai" bits at the end of Matryoshka and wrote "hyai hyai" since I figured it was just a nonsense sound effect.

There are plenty of USTs that have fantastic tuning but completely wrong lyrics that, IMO, need to be brought to light at times. If everyone in the overseas fandom is covering a song that's missing half its lyrics(and especially posting it to Nico) it becomes pretty embarrassing, don't you think?

Lemondolly

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Peachbite link said:

Unless the UST is from a fluent Japanese speaking person, I expect there to be errors. Most of the UST makers do not speak fluent Japanese. If notes are wrong, fix it. If lyrics are wrong fix it. Leave the other people who cant or don't know that it is wrong alone.

Why don't you all get off your high horses and attempt making the perfect UST yourself?

I think you're being a bit rude. This forum is supposed to let other uses KNOW that there is something wrong with a ust before they use. It's supposed to be helpful. :T

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Guys, relax.  I think this thread is good--because sometimes, I'm not sure if the lyrics are wrong on a ust or not.  It's good to tell people where there are errors SO THEY CAN FIX THEM.  Yes, it is our duty when using a ust to check these things, but if you find something, you could share that problem with others so they know to fix it too.  A ust doesn't have to be perfect (though I generally expect the lyrics+pitches+timing to be right v_v), but the errors that need fixing beyond simple re-tuning are things you should know when you go to use a ust, SO YOU CAN FIX THEM.

We want to make our covers as good as possible, so we should try to fix these sorts of things when we use a ust.  Otherwise, what the heck's the point?

(and to the people talking about "making usts for personal use"--I've seen usts made ON COMMISSION with horrible errors.)

Saki has the right idea with this thread, so let's not get mad at her.  She wants us to help each other improve and edit our covers better, and I'm pretty sure there's nothing at all wrong with that.

EDIT: tldr; what Myst said. @w@

Mm, as for my two cents, the Magician's Operation ust that UTAUReizo made... the lyrics are off throughout, and some of the pitches are wrong too. @w@  I'm going to resume my project of making my own ust for the song because of that, because... I don't think I can easily point out all the errors v_v

Mrs.Peach

Married Sugar Mama
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Lemondolly link said:
[quote author=Peachbite link=topic=2180.msg19921#msg19921 date=1342474516]

Why don't you all get off your high horses and attempt making the perfect UST yourself?

I think you're being a bit rude. This forum is supposed to let other uses KNOW that there is something wrong with a ust before they use. It's supposed to be helpful. :T
[/quote]

Sorry, I was a little rude.

But, I still feel that instead of complaining about UST's not being perfect. Maybe working with the UST maker to help correct the mistake would be more beneficial.

My point still stands though. Non Japanese speakers will always make mistakes and non musical people will make mistakes.

I am one of those people that don't know if something is wrong, usually.

Asteriski

Teto's Territory
In the UST for Renai Yuusha, it says "shukkari" where it should say "shikkari". (Even I missed it the first time around. Oops.)

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I agree that the whole non-Japanese speakers making USTs of Japanese songs can likely have mistakes.

For example, my Judgement of Corruption UST has a mistake on one part that says "mono" when it's supposed to be "koto" because of a mistake in the romaji lyrics I found.

I bet my Mugen Loop UST is filled with lyrics mistakes because the two romaji lyric sets I found were different on some parts which confused me OTL

So it could be that some lyrics mistakes could be from where they got their romaji lyrics.

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
When I make USTs, I usually have 5 tabs open.

1. The original song video (I find it easier to follow place than an mp3 file on my comp)
2. Romaji transcribed lyrics from anywhere but AnimeLyrics.com they are awful...
3. Google Translate
4. The original JP lyrics, usually on the miku @wiki
5. Denshi Jisho

First, listen to the song as you read the romaji lyrics and place lyrics. If you run into a place that sounds wrong, check the corresponding JP lyrics to see the kanji/kana. Kana is usually an easy fix of course. But if it's kanji, first throw that shit into google translate and click the Ä button to see if it gets another reading, but if it doesn't, check it on Denshi Jisho and find the reading that fits what you're hearing.

Good romaji lyrics sources: vgperson's blog, vocalochu (only has older songs), and berrysubs I think does romaji sometimes. But even they make small mistakes sometimes so keep careful.

Also extra tips: remember your particles! "Ha" is pronounced wa, "he" is e, "o" can be actually interchanged with wo depending on what you hear. Also, iku/yuku is a common thing to be interchanged: if you see "iku" or a form of it but hear it with a "yu" instead of "i" just put "yu" because that's just a pronunciation quirk/emphasis thing too I think.