Is a snowball mic good ?

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
Today I bought a audio techinca atr2500 but I'm really sad because I got it for $66 but my computer doesn't recognize it at all :sad: so since I got it cheap I can't afford another atr2500 so I'm left with other options what would you recommend I do ?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I looked up the microphone and it seems to be a USB mic that doesn't need drivers. Before you assume that it's not working, try basic troubleshooting like closing and reopening your recording program, checking the audio devices from control panel, and/or restarting your computer.

If you really want a different microphone, I also have a snowball, but it's about $100 (usually less, because many places have sales). I've heard the Samson C01U as a recommended cheap microphone for UTAU users.

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
I
I looked up the microphone and it seems to be a USB mic that doesn't need drivers. Before you assume that it's not working, try basic troubleshooting like closing and reopening your recording program, checking the audio devices from control panel, and/or restarting your computer.

If you really want a different microphone, I also have a snowball, but it's about $100 (usually less, because many places have sales). I've heard the Samson C01U as a recommended cheap microphone for UTAU users.
was told as soon as I plugin the mic it's supposed to be recognized by my computer and open a window to set it up but it just says something about not being recognized and it being malfunctioned :sad:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Is this a mic where you can switch the cables? I have an sE Magneto powered by an Icicle interface and the default cable is faulty. I used to get the same problem where it wouldn't pick up at all (usb not recognized, not showing up in recording devices, etc.) until I switched the cable out (luckily I had another cable that would fit). Maybe changing the cables (if possible) will help.

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
Is this a mic where you can switch the cables? I have an sE Magneto powered by an Icicle interface and the default cable is faulty. I used to get the same problem where it wouldn't pick up at all (usb not recognized, not showing up in recording devices, etc.) until I switched the cable out (luckily I had another cable that would fit). Maybe changing the cables (if possible) will help.
I could try that ! But I would have to find a cable to match the atr2500

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The cable for that microphone is a USB A to B, exactly the same cable used for printers.

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
The cable for that microphone is a USB A to B, exactly the same cable used for printers.
Noooo even with the new cable it turns on but it still isn't recognized:,(
[DOUBLEPOST=1437739720][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm thinking about exchanging it for this mic does this sound good for Utau ? Meteor Mic - USB Studio Condenser Microphone I just want it to be hq

Features
  • Large, 25mm diaphragm USB studio condenser microphone
  • Plugs directly into any computer with a USB input, no drivers required
  • Compatible with most computer-based digital audio workstation software
  • Works with iPad using Apple's Lightning USB Camera Adapter or Camera Connection Kit (30-pin)
  • Cardioid pickup pattern
  • 16-bit, 44.1/48kHz resolution
  • Smooth, flat frequency response of 20Hz?20kHz
  • Stereo 1/8" headphone jack for no latency monitoring
  • Headphone volume control with microphone mute switch
  • Fold-back leg design provides optimal mic positioning
  • Durable chrome-plated body
  • Includes USB cable and carry pouch

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
A Meteor mic is okay, but I suggest a Behringer C1U, it's about $60 on Amazon (which is less expensive than a Meteor), and as demonstrated here, it can sound nice.

Alternatively, have you emailed Audiotechnica support about this issue? They might be able to fix it or send you a new one free of charge.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The atr2500 is notorious for it's poor build quality (good luck getting Audio-Technica to even touch the warranty)

As Stormy said, the Behringer C1u is a better value and sounds much better than a snowball and otherwise.
It's much clearer and what some people would describe as "musical". It also has less electronic noise.

The Meteor is very bass heavy and sounds very unnatural and the snowball is a cheap Skype/VoIP mic that's advertised as a studio mic (Blue basically uses it's brand popularity to trick people) After owning a snowball previously I noticed that it sounds much the same as a cheap headset or a phone mic. It's diaphragm(s) are very tiny and the recorded results is very thin and muffled- not capable of capturing the full body of your voice at all
So I would avoid those if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiyoteru

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
@Shirahime, Name them and provide acapella examples cause just saying... there's a reason the beloved VIPS aren't recorded on them. There's truth in the saying that you get what you pay for and there's also a difference in brands that makes one better than the other on both an individual and collective level. Jeremy has used both ATR, Blue, cheaper/no name brands, and he's now using sE, so it's not like he's blowing smoke without any experience in the differences between the more commonly used brands.

@Utau4life, the Behringer C1u would more than likely suit your needs. I hope it works for you and it's not a problem with the usb inputs of your machine. You can connect other usb powered devices without issues, right?

Reactions: Kiyoteru and na4a4a

warm rootbeer

The Helpful Insomniac
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I've also used cheap headsets, ATR, Blue, and M-Audio. I'm just saying, claiming a company is trying to "trick" people is kind of silly when there have been great UTAU recorded with Blue. It depends on a lot of things, some microphones don't work well with certain voice types.

My final statements are:

Snowball is a good mic, but you can find better microphones for the price of it. Instead of having to reiterate what Hentai has already elaborated on this topic, here is some helpful information from one of our admins:

http://utaforum.net/threads/what-mic-did-you-use-to-record-your-utau.9371/#post-62852

http://utaforum.net/threads/find-what-you-need-in-your-price-range.7384/#post-50305

As well as:

http://utaforum.net/resources/diy-portable-recording-booth.69/

A DIY recording booth tutorial if you don't already have one, as having one of these will also help increase the quality of your UTAU/recordings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kitcat190

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
I know I post on here a lot and I'm sorry for that I just hearing other people's opinions I will take a look at all the mics you guys have recommended and chose the one that best suits me thanks so much :smile:

Reactions: warm rootbeer