Is Multipitch Really Needed?

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
The better title for this is if it's really necessary, but oh, well.

I bring up this question because I'm positive that so many people, and Utau users/creators think that a truly good Utau needs like five and up pitches. I understand how groundbreaking the concept was/is, but I think it kind of also devalues monopitch Utau, mind you, the mentality that an Utau MUST have like eighty pitches to be perfect and the best of them all.

By devaluing I mean that some people may have some kind of preconceived notion about multipitch, and that having more pitches automatically makes an Utau sound better/be better. I'm not exactly looking for an answer to this question, but to discuss how's and why's and your overall thought on it.

For me, personally,, I was under the impression that having multipitch would make my Utau great, but really, there are other significant factors like recording area, mic quality, oto, etc. but even with those I've proved them wrong, personally, I guess(like, I don't have a Blue Yeti, but my Utaus' voice is still clear and pretty good)

But anyway, I fell out of that impression (like today tbh when I was thinking a lot) plus multipitch takes a lot of work and using vocal cords, and so I'd rather have a better idea of pitch and whatnot and be comfortable and knowledge of my vocal range before I just jump into it, and VCV takes forever sometimes to record, and oh god otoing...(sorry, I'm getting flashbacks like war xD)

So anyway, your dealio? Or if you're confused because I need to clarify, and the fact that every day slowly over time I sound as though I'm not a native English speaker what the- and lol tfw u can already predict what will be said and who will say it, looking for u, Kiyoteru :3

Reactions: taigz

taigz

dead
Defender of Defoko
I agree with having only 3-4 pitches. Not only does it save up file size but come on, who can do a C1 pitch?

The mentality of "this Utau must have 50 pitches to be considered perfect" doesn't bother me really. I can say though that while Multipitch helps it's not required. Some monopitch can actually have wide ranges, though they can be rare to find.

Was typing this on my phone so sorry. ;-;

Reactions: Arissa and Nohkara

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Sometimes, you can survive with one pitch only with no problem in vocal range wise: for example my "cute-voiced" Lychee CV is just mono but has surprisingly good vocal range: from A3 to G5 (over an octave!) but then I have an another mono pitch CV UTAU Senchou and she is recorded much more mature voice and, ewww, TBH not doing that great... This is probably because 80% of all Vocaloid songs what I know are made for female vocals that have about same range than Lychee and because that I find difficult to find any song that fits Senchou's range AND voice type! If I was a producer, I definitely would write songs for her?!?

This, of course, depends on the voice case-by-case but USUALLY mono pitch VB has a vocal range of one full octave. But many songs especially Vocaloid songs has 2 or 3 full octaves and because of that many mono pitch struggles.

To get the bigger vocal range (and to get more "natural expression" of the voice), there are no other choices than record multiple pitches. I think that most of time 2 or 3 pitches are enough when you know well your own vocal range and pick pitches carefully (maybe 4 pitches if the 4th is an additional "falsetto" voice that can be activated with surffix?)

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It 100% depends on the vocal provider and the type of voicebank you choose to create. Sometimes monopitch banks actually can work better!

For example, for people with vastly different sounding lower and higher ranges, multipitch helps to make the UTAU sound more natural and bridge different sounding vocals together. That's why my UTAU has so many pitches (up to around 8-10 now). On the other hand, though, people whose normal vocals sound relatively similar throughout the range (let's say you're making a soft, head-voice bank) doesn't need many if at all any pitches. Sometimes more pitches actually takes out some consistency between samples.

For a power voicebank, though, more pitches can be better since more will allow belting in higher ranges.

Kuku Klock

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I agree with Avalia, it depends on the voicer. Like Kurushimi's incubus currenly has about 12 pitches, but its mostly appends inside of the VB as well
so like 3 regular pitches, 3 soft pitches, 3 core pitches and 3 falsetto pitches. Its just my way of making the voicebank more versatile since i give permission to play around with the prefix map (even if the public release is only 4 pitches) Or you can have what I call a cheat Voicebank and the voice is versatile in one pitch all by itself.

Reactions: Skiyoshi 十三