Is there a voice type that you dislike/are tired of seeing?

Discussion in 'UTAU Discussion' started by RaccoonButler, May 20, 2016.

1. CarrotBunz

CarrotBunz Trash Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Me trying to make a JP bank

nanaro and sailor _ravioli like this.
  2. ・✧ Titsu ✧・

・✧ Titsu ✧・ The Space Witch Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    It's okay, Chris. You'll get the hang of it eventually. It just takes practice.

nanaro, keopi and Pupuomena like this.
  3. 수연 <Suyeon>

수연 <Suyeon> Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I find that it helps to learn how to shape your consonants and vowels (via your lips and tongue position). The most common mistakes of Japanese for us non-natives are aspirated consonants or vowels that are non-native by accident (English vowels tend to be diphthongs and not so much pure. for ex. A can be e+i, a schwa (uh sound), the @ sound like in apple, a+w as in hall... rarely do we use pure あ).

Pupuomena likes this.
  4. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Hiyama-sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    lol, literally a plague upon music in general, gotta love that soundgoodizer

Well anyway, a voice type that I dislike.... I can't seem to think of any. However, I probably wouldn't use a voicebank that sounded inhumanly high/deep without good reason (ex. it's a friend's bank and I want to make a gift). Even a generic sounding female I'm fine with, despite the HUGE number of them, because I kind of just want an average vocalist lol.

5. keopi

keopi Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    my own

VocAddict, nanaro, MAJAstral and 2 others like this.
  6. ・✧ Titsu ✧・

Trophy Points
    but ur voice is gr8 boi

keopi likes this.
  7. CarrotBunz

CarrotBunz Trash Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    lies

keopi likes this.
  8. keopi

keopi Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    i hate u both

9. sailor _ravioli

sailor _ravioli Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    s a m e

keopi likes this.
  10. LadyOgien

LadyOgien Takumi's Face Petter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    shoosh >: (

11. ・✧ Titsu ✧・

Trophy Points
    ily biiiish

but seriously if anything i want to see more of your voice.

keopi likes this.
  12. kimchi-tan

kimchi-tan Your local Mikotard Global Mod Moderator Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Necro-ing this thread 'cause why not.

I don't really like really deep males and females. Mature voices like Meiko and Gakupo, I like, but voices like they're being recorded at the back of their throats (I don't really know how to describe it OTL), I don't

This is coming from a person who has mostly soprano, mezzo-soprano, and tenor voicebanks.

13. Shibaru 101

Shibaru 101 Teto's Territory Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I really hate to hate a voice but.... I really hate when the voice doesn't fit the character.

14. Shasta

Shasta Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Literally 90% of all beginner sounding UTAU, like that overly airy, and overall awkward. It's generic and waaaay over used. I will say, some UTAU can pull it off, but man, it's boring. Then the high pitched, nasally voice banks are just annoying, I can't handle them at all. Ironically, I've voiced an UTAU with exactly that voice type...

VocAddict, Buck and Kuro Cure like this.
  15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey local hiatus'er Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    voice types that are... kind of whispery and non-versatile?
    soft, cream/creme, whisper, screamo (sorry, it's just my opinion) and et cetera... especially those whose vb's sound like they're kind of struggling at the wrong notes...
    dunno, this might be jealousy speaking, or just plain stupidity speaking...
    question... do dark voices produce a more powerful effect on high notes?

16. WendytheCreeper

WendytheCreeper (>☉ ͡ヮ☉<) Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I really don't like those bored-sounding baritones or those excessively deep-sounding males. They usually get buried in the instrumental, or just don't sound musical at all. For some reason, most male banks don't sound good to me at all.

Also, I have a problem with male vbs where the female voicer is evident. It doesn't sound right to me.

17. Olivia091220034

Olivia091220034 Teto's Territory Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I'm starting to get tired of seeing kire/power banks tbh. I mean, they're great, but they're everywhere!
    Especially male kire banks, their lower pitches are rarely to never used and people make them sound like they're yelling 24/7.
    A soft bank (other than Renri) or an expressive baritone would be nice.:annoyed:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  18. Animé Fan

Animé Fan Head of the Shonen Academy Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Some voice types I'm not too fond of are overly cutesy voices, especially in females, and hefty voices, especially in males (men and boys).
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 9, 2017 ---
    Does this include young boy UTAU as well?

19. WendytheCreeper

WendytheCreeper (>☉ ͡ヮ☉<) Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    It may or may not include young boys, because it really all depends on the quality of the voice acting! It's very common for adult women to voice young boys in cartoons (example, Timmy Turner and Spike the Baby Dragon are both voiced by women!), especially since they can be counted on a consistent voice quality whereas a young boy not so much; When he hits puberty, his voice will deepen and ultimately may have to be replaced in order to preserve the voice of the character. In this case, when it comes to a person voice acting a young boy, it's really about how well the voice acting is.

That being said, the issue is more likely to crop up with older male voices, teens and upwards. Producing a masculine-sounding vocal isn't just about pitch, you have to match the resonance and other details that I can't recall right now. It takes care to voice act an older male voice when you have a feminine voice, and for some that may be very very difficult.

Do I personally dislike young, shota-like vocals? Not specifically, no. I don't tend to seek them out simply because they aren't my style, but I think there is a merit to that voice type- especially since it is higher up in the range, and less likely to get muffled due to UTAU being...weird.

20. Animé Fan

Animé Fan Head of the Shonen Academy Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I get what you mean. Unless the older male is gentler or more feminine, getting an actual manly voice is tough.

I personally specialize in shota/boy UTAU, so I was worried if how I worked with them applies. Sorry for the confusion.