I've never seen this midi problem before

3x5=Meme

Teto's Territory
Hi there,

So I'm very new to using midis for UST making, and have immediately run into this maddeningly unhelpful error-- no, it is *not the tempo being over 9,000.

I just import the midi and there's an immediate issue involving some sort of 'overflow?'

I've got the screenshot below in a spoiler, and--just in case that doesn't work-- also attached below as a file.

iwEfp
If anyone happens to know what the eff this IS exactly, please share your wisdom. :cynical: I clearly don't know what I'm doing and would appreciate help. And, if this particular issue has already been resolved, I apologize in advance and humbly ask for a link to the solution.

Thanks so much for hearing me out!

-3x5
.... (gee I hope this is in the right place....haha?.... :ehhh:)

strange error.png

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Did you download the midi or make it yourself? If you made it yourself, what did you make it with?

3x5=Meme

Teto's Territory
Hi,
I uploaded the .ogg to a file conversion site.
....was that stupid of me? I can't seem to make sense of what the heck I'm ever doing in FL Studio even *with tutorials.

If that was my mistake-- is there perhaps a simpler software that doesn't destroy clueless newbs?

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
well converting audio to a midi never works out correctly and makes a lot of garbage notes. You would have to clean it up so much that you would be better off doing it by hand.

What probably happened is either
a) there are so many notes in total that utau is like "screw that I ain't opening it"
or
b) all the notes are on the same track and utau can't open that format.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Audio and MIDI are very different types of files. If you're looking to use the same method as many people do with FL studio, it may be worth trying a simpler DAW like Tracktion or Podium

Reactions: Zoku

3x5=Meme

Teto's Territory
Oh, I'm so dumb. So dumb.

See, I never would have known the conversion process involves an overload of bad notes had you two not helped. This is not common knowledge to people like me (haha). So I'm very thankful that you've shared your wisdom with me.

Out of curiosity-- are there other methods aside from making a midi or creating the whole UST from scratch? Initially I was hoping the usage of midi files would help me figure out harmonies with my nonexistant background in music.
((otherwise, I've really got no problem with timing or tuning by ear-- those aspects aren't nearly as frustrating as harmonies.

Last edited:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you want to get the original midis or stems (each instrument rendered into a separate audio file) for a song, it may be worth contacting the original producer.

If you've already got the hang of making a UST for the main melody, and you're trying to compose an original harmony part, you can start by identifying what key the song is in. Essentially, of the twelve notes in an octave, which seven or so are allowed? Duplicate the original melody UST file, then move the notes up or down a bit to the next allowed notes. Check to see if it sounds good against the melody and the rest of the music.

Reactions: Zoku

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The closest thing possible - as far as not using pre-made midi or making a UST from scratch within UTAU (GG, NO!) would be to either use Vocaloid, create a VSQx, and convert it to VSQ to use in UTAU (but this is out of most young users' price range if you go through legal methods and some elements in the vocalsynth fandom are very vehement about piracy of the software, even for private use that's never published), or use a DAW that's capable of midi creation and using AlterEgo as a VST. AlterEgo with the voice Daisy installed is a free voice synth that can act as a placeholder (it needs a DAW to run though). As far as making or using midis is concerned, UTAU can only properly read midis that have single layers - meaning you have your melody without any notes (such as harmony) overlapping in one UST and need a separate UST for each other part that would overlap otherwise.

If you can't make heads or tails of FL Studio, there's Tracktion, Podium, Reaper... You're technically supposed to purchase Reaper after a certain amount of time, but many users don't do this since you don't get hampered from actual usage - ie rendering and saving. I don't really like Tracktion or Podium personally - they don't come with instruments, so you'll have to hunt some down, download them, and hope that they produce sound - I'm not used to working in a bare bones environment such as this with DAWs. But, since you have no other reference of DAW use besides FL Studio, you'll probably pick either of these three up more quickly than I.

Studio One Free is a nice DAW, but the paid versions nickle and dime for basic features that even free/cheaper proprietary options give out of the box (Free comes with a few VST instruments and effects but you can't add anything else to the VST library unless you spend money, so AlterEgo won't be possible here - shouldn't be a problem if you don't have issue making a midi with just instruments rather than a voice placeholder). Mixcraft has a 15 day trial and purchase is $89: easy to use for midi and recording, easy to learn for newbs, comes with a ton of instruments out the box and you can add AlterEgo to it. Mixcraft is one of the more cheaper DAWs around (certainly much cheaper than legal FL Studio).

Reactions: Mougeki Mero

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I have went into many ways if doing USTs. I will basicslly quote above's post...

1-Best method is using VOCALOID
2-FL Studio or other MIDI sequencers are 2nd best option
3-UTAU is okay, but will lead you to off time problems and you need to use a lot of math XD
4-Programs like VOCALISTENER (there are free look alikes of this one) are also good if you only use vocals.

I myself prefer switching between VOCALOID and FLStudio

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
I personally make my MIDI's in LMMS, then fine tune them by importing into (the demo of) FL Studio. I always have the vocal/original song as a track in the background.

To get the pitch (for Vocaloid songs), I try to isolate the vocal first (if there's an official instrumental, try importing both the instrumental and song file into audacity, line them up correctly and nearly exactly, and invert one of the tracks), then open it up in OREMO or something that can read pitch. For popular songs, there are usually 'piano tutorials' on YouTube with the correct notes. Often times, though, they won't have exactly the same or correct timing for the vocal melody, as they were made for piano playing.

BUT in LMMS or FL Studio, you can carefully align the notes in accordance to the actual vocals, so it's nice.

Also, the best method isn't really using VOCALOID.... It's nice to have the lyrics already there, but it's much easier and I feel the workflow is much better for an UTAU user by making the MIDI elsewhere, then importing. Source: I tried to do this with the demo of Cyber Diva then importing into UTAU... But often times I got the timing wrong and pitch wrong. :P

Tracktion and Podium are AMAZING tools, and Podium is free!! I recommend Podium as everyone else that I know that can use it says it's nice. However, I can't get the thing to work.

Don't use Alter/Ego as a vocal placeholder VST when making MIDI's. DO NOT. With Daisy, it's hard to make it sound 'on time' even if it is, simply due to the nature of the program. You might need some (or a lot) of adjusting to make it sound 'on time' and by the time you do, the actual midi is not actually timed correctly despite the vocals giving the illusion it is. It's better as an independent singing VST for originals/covers :D

tl;dr: MIDI in LMMS/FL Studio is the best way imo, original midi's from producers are possible but... probably hard? ALSO, do it your way!

Reactions: Kiyoteru