Microphone issues with Windows 10 (can't make quality banks now)

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So this has been my biggest issue & the reason why I have been unable to make any quality VBs. Since updating to Windows 10 I am always forced to crank my microphone volume up to 100 (which then distorts the audio), before updating (back on windows 7) I was always able to have the volume on 70 & not have to worry about the distortion in the audio.

Ive heard about the sound cards not playing nicely with windows 10 & to update them but I am not sure how to do that. Ive gone into device manager settings & tried updating anything that involved with sound (Audio inputs- speakers/microphone) & (Sound,Video, Game controllers- speakers/microphones). It said all but 1 was updated & it updated the one speakers but no improvement to the microphone issue.

Ive looked at some threads of similar issues but nothing so far has worked for me.

Is this something I will have to buy & add/install into my computer tower? (got a new one for higher performance). If so can someone point me as to what I should buy that will help remedy this issue please, it's really hard to find reliable voice donators these days :/ (most of them have been like "yea this sounds fun lets do it" & then a month goes by & suddenly they are like "eh, nah I don't feel like it anymore")

Reactions: HoneyPai

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
one reason for this was probably because by default windows 7 enabled microphone boost.
This is just digital amplification done after the audio is recorded.
You can probably just amplify the audio manually afterwards with the same effect at a lower volume.

also note that if you are using audacity then mono audio is actually a mix of the two stereo channels and thus the final audio will reduced in volume by about -6dB.

Since I am assuming your computer is a prebuilt, you should go to support/downloads page for it's manufacturer and download the drivers from there. Any drivers you download from microsoft via device manager will be generic poor-performing drivers.

If you need help with this then feel free to ask and I'll be more than glad to.

Reactions: Zoku

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
So this has been my biggest issue & the reason why I have been unable to make any quality VBs. Since updating to Windows 10 I am always forced to crank my microphone volume up to 100 (which then distorts the audio), before updating (back on windows 7) I was always able to have the volume on 70 & not have to worry about the distortion in the audio.

Ive heard about the sound cards not playing nicely with windows 10 & to update them but I am not sure how to do that. Ive gone into device manager settings & tried updating anything that involved with sound (Audio inputs- speakers/microphone) & (Sound,Video, Game controllers- speakers/microphones). It said all but 1 was updated & it updated the one speakers but no improvement to the microphone issue.

Ive looked at some threads of similar issues but nothing so far has worked for me.

Is this something I will have to buy & add/install into my computer tower? (got a new one for higher performance). If so can someone point me as to what I should buy that will help remedy this issue please, it's really hard to find reliable voice donators these days :/ (most of them have been like "yea this sounds fun lets do it" & then a month goes by & suddenly they are like "eh, nah I don't feel like it anymore")

I have problems with recording on 10 too, but my issue is at random points, my mic will pop sounds in random areas, and i had thought it was my mic up until i realized that the popping doesn't happen on my pc (i record with a laptop that has 10) I even noticed a quality difference from when i record something on my pc and when i record on the laptop. I tried updating drivers but it didn't work :/. I hope you find your solution! I could definitely use some help too if you get an answer, maybe both our problems can get solved

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
one reason for this was probably because by default windows 7 enabled microphone boost.
This is just digital amplification done after the audio is recorded.
You can probably just amplify the audio manually afterwards with the same effect at a lower volume.

also note that if you are using audacity then mono audio is actually a mix of the two stereo channels and thus the final audio will reduced in volume by about -6dB.

Since I am assuming your computer is a prebuilt, you should go to support/downloads page for it's manufacturer and download the drivers from there. Any drivers you download from microsoft via device manager will be generic poor-performing drivers.

If you need help with this then feel free to ask and I'll be more than glad to.

There is no boost option for my mic & amplify does very little since the distortion cant seem to be removed from or edited from the audio. I will try that but I think I had already done that.