Microphone, prices and tips...

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Hello! I am willing to record my own UTAU and I will spend some money I have here to buy the microphone. So, which is the best one? I've been using my cellphone's so far, that is better than PC's, but still, I need a better microphone. So, if any of you guys could tell me a nice microphone and the price of it, I'd be glad >w<

Ooh! Also, I need some tips for recording!! I want to record VCV since I can actually make a decent OTO. All I will need to spend money is with Microphone (and maybe illustration, but I will see if my friend can illustrate for me).

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
How much is your budget? lol, can't give you a good answer without know what you can afford.
(I was almost going to jokingly link to like a $1k mic or something)

also recording tips:
  • pop filter
  • get as far away from you pc as possible
  • get as far from walls as possible while also not being dead center in the room
  • standing is best
  • have the mic slightly lower than your mouth, between your mouth and chin (not too important)
  • stay about 1.5 feet from your mic, anything closer that 1 foot adds proximity effect which can be bad.
  • avoid echo because that spells death for any type of recording, it also ruins utau banks

Last edited:

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
How much is your budget? lol, can't give you a good answer without know what you can afford.

also recording tips:
  • pop filter
  • get as far from walls as possible while also not being dead center in the room
  • standing is best
  • have the mic slightly lower than your mouth, between your mouth and chin (not too important)
  • stay about 1.5 feet from your mic, anything closer that 1 foot adds proximity effect which can be bad.
  • avoid echo because that spells death for any type of recording, it also ruins utau banks
XD Nooo, I have like 35$ to spend >w<

danlof99

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hmmm... the price is low... with this budget you can look for a second hand usb mic (like my Blue Snowball that I payed 30$) or a Band Hero mic (that is not so bad and that you can buy for 15/20$... to hear the result you can search for the act 1 of my utau Danny Hakaine). To make your recordings clearer you can use a diy pop filter (search on the internet... there are a lot of low cost tutorial with socks lol) and you can eq your vocals in programs like FL Studio :wink:

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
yeah lol, you can have the "best one" but that comes at a price higher than $35.
The best you could get for that price is...a headset.

However if you can get your hands on a Rockband usb mic those are actually jsut as good as a snowball.
You can buy a cheap stand a boom there you go! It's a tad unorthodox but they actually are quite decent.

Last edited:

danlof99

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
yeah lol, you can have the "best one" but that comes at a price higher than $35.
The best you could get for that price is...a headset.

However if you can get your hands on a Rockband usb mic those are actually jsut as good as a snowball.
You can buy a cheap stand a boom there you go!
I don't know if you tried a Blue Snowball but the Rock Band/Guitar Hero mic is much more noisy... it makes a very annoying static noise that is very difficult to erase, because on softer voices it deletes some frequencies .-.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I don't know if you tried a Blue Snowball but the Rock Band/Guitar Hero mic is much more noisy... it makes a very annoying static noise that is very difficult to erase, because on softer voices it deletes some frequencies .-.

I've used both and actually went from a rockband mic to a snowball and didn't really notice any noise improvement tbh. I even have some old recordings laying around and they basically sound the same.
You just need to make sure that it's set to a higher bit depth in your settings

danlof99

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I've used both and actually went from a rockband mic to a snowball and didn't really notice any noise improvement tbh. I even have some old recordings laying around and they basically sound the same.
You just need to make sure that it's set to a higher bit depth in your settings
Wow for me the difference is huge 0.0

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Wow for me the difference is huge 0.0
WEll I guess it's because the snowball isn;t that great of a mic in the first place...you get something pretty and multiple capsules for polar patterns but it's all just a waste...

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
jiRUKlj.png

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Thank you guys! I will probably going to try Rockband then!!! The problem with the price is because my countrybis suffering crisis :/

If it was 3 years ago, the same amount of money I have actually would be 60~70$

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
(oh in that case then definitely go as cheap as sanely possible)
(You can find this mic called a dj hero mic, rockband mix, guitar here world tour mic, logitec vantage, logitech a0234a, and so forth)

Reactions: Mougeki Mero

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
An okay/decent beginners mic running via usb will run you anywhere from $50 to $75 (Beringer, Samson C01, etc.) depending where you look - you might be able to find something second hand cheaper. I would say that if you plan on spending $100 - $200+, you might as well start looking at XLR mics and interfaces (by professional standards, these are on the lower end/budget price point, but are just fine for a simple home studio if you have a decent recording environment). Don't spend more than $100 for a USB mic if you can help it.

Usb: you settle with what you're given as all the components are built into the mic. Avoid Blue products despite what fanbois/fangurls around here will undoubtably argue. They're practically like Apple: what you get looks pretty, but you could get better for less/equivalent pricing without the brand.

XLR: if you have a decent interface, you can have more control over the mics you buy to find the best that'll work for you.

Edit: now that i've seen your price point, the best you'll manage is a headset or rockband mic. Or maybe a cheap ATR mic. rockband, snowball, etc. are bright and "tinny" and will sound like a landline phone with interference/noise, ATR will sound less bright and will be muffled - either way you'll need to EQ your recordings to compensate somewhat for what's not inherently there. I might come back to this post later with comparisons between my old mics (atr1100, no brand, and laptop) and current (sE magneto). At work right now.

Kiyoloid

♪~Kiyoloid(∩˘౪˘)⊃~♪
An okay/decent beginners mic running via usb will run you anywhere from $50 to $75 (Beringer, Samson C01, etc.) depending where you look - you might be able to find something second hand cheaper. I would say that if you plan on spending $100 - $200+, you might as well start looking at XLR mics and interfaces (by professional standards, these are on the lower end/budget price point, but are just fine for a simple home studio if you have a decent recording environment). Don't spend more than $100 for a USB mic if you can help it.

Usb: you settle with what you're given as all the components are built into the mic. Avoid Blue products despite what fanbois/fangurls around here will undoubtably argue. They're practically like Apple: what you get looks pretty, but you could get better for less/equivalent pricing without the brand.

XLR: if you have a decent interface, you can have more control over the mics you buy to find the best that'll work for you.

Edit: now that i've seen your price point, the best you'll manage is a headset or rockband mic. Or maybe a cheap ATR mic. rockband, snowball, etc. are bright and "tinny" and will sound like a landline phone with interference/noise, ATR will sound less bright and will be muffled - either way you'll need to EQ your recordings to compensate somewhat for what's not inherently there. I might come back to this post later with comparisons between my old mics (atr1100, no brand, and laptop) and current (sE magneto). At work right now.

I wouldn't say that Blue Microphones are bad, but they definitely are pricy for their quality. Mine's recorded with a Blue Yeti, and I personally think that it sounds high quality XD But yeah, if you're looking for a good mic for cheaper, don't go for Blue products, not bad but definitely not really that worth the money.

Bay Ringo

Teto's Territory

also recording tips:
  • pop filter
  • standing is best
Thanks for your advices! I dont know anything about recording properly and stuff x) now I have some kind of base to start with :D