Multipitch VCV? So Confused...and Probably Wrong

mochikoTiger

Momo's Minion
Ok, so recently I have tried my hand at making a VCV multipitch voicebank. First of all, I am confused as to whether the reclist I used is the correct one. ;w; It seems to be much too short, it only has 225 strings of romaji samples of 7 to record including two breath samples. In fact, it is this exact list right here...

"7 Mora Romaji VCV Reclist":

_aaiauea
_eeuoeoo
_iiuaeie
_ounanu
_uuioaoi
_ninennon
ka-ka-ki-ka-ku-ke-ka
ke-ke-ku-ko-ke-ko-ko
ki-ki-ku-ka-ke-ki-ke
ko-ku-n-ka-n-ku
ku-ku-ki-ko-ka-ko-ki
n-ki-n-ke-n-n-ko-n
ta-ta-ti-ta-tu-te-ta
te-te-tu-to-te-to-to
ti-ti-tu-ta-te-ti-te
to-tu-n-ta-n-tu
tu-tu-ti-to-ta-to-ti
n-ti-n-te-n-n-to-n
sa-sa-si-sa-su-se-sa
se-se-su-so-se-so-so
si-si-su-sa-se-si-se
so-su-n-sa-n-su
su-su-si-so-sa-so-si
n-si-n-se-n-n-so-n
sha-sha-shi-sha-shu-she-sha
she-she-shu-sho-she-sho-sho
shi-shi-shu-sha-she-shi-she
sho-shu-n-sha-n-shu
shu-shu-shi-sho-sha-sho-shi
n-shi-n-she-n-n-sho-n
cha-cha-chi-cha-chu-che-cha
che-che-chu-cho-che-cho-cho
chi-chi-chu-cha-che-chi-che
cho-chu-n-cha-n-chu
chu-chu-chi-cho-cha-cho-chi
n-chi-n-che-n-n-cho-n
za-za-zi-za-zu-ze-za
ze-ze-zu-zo-ze-zo-zo
zi-zi-zu-za-ze-zi-ze
zo-zu-n-za-n-zu
zu-zu-zi-zo-za-zo-zi
n-zi-n-ze-n-n-zo-n
ba-ba-bi-ba-bu-be-ba
be-be-bu-bo-be-bo-bo
bi-bi-bu-ba-be-bi-be
bo-bu-n-ba-n-bu
bu-bu-bi-bo-ba-bo-bi
n-bi-n-be-n-n-bo-n
da-da-di-da-du-de-da
de-de-du-do-de-do-do
di-di-du-da-de-di-de
do-du-n-da-n-du
du-du-di-do-da-do-di
n-di-n-de-n-n-do-n
ra-ra-ri-ra-ru-re-ra
re-re-ru-ra-re-ro-ro
ri-ri-ru-ro-re-ri-re
ro-ru-n-ra-n-ru
ru-ru-ri-ro-ra-ro-ri
n-ri-n-re-n-n-ro-n
la-la-li-la-lu-le-la
le-le-lu-lo-le-lo-lo
li-li-lu-la-le-li-le
lo-lu-n-la-n-lu
lu-lu-li-lo-la-lo-li
n-li-n-le-n-n-lo-n
fa-fa-fi-fa-fu-fe-fa
fe-fe-fu-fo-fe-fo-fo
fi-fi-fu-fa-fe-fi-fe
fo-fu-n-fa-n-fu
fu-fu-fi-fo-fa-fo-fi
n-fi-n-fe-n-n-fo-n
ga-ga-gi-ga-gu-ge-ga
ge-ge-gu-go-ge-go-go
gi-gi-gu-ga-ge-gi-ge
go-gu-n-ga-n-gu
gu-gu-gi-go-ga-go-gi
n-gi-n-ge-n-n-go-n
ha-ha-hi-ha-hu-he-ha
he-he-hu-ho-he-ho-ho
hi-hi-hu-ha-he-hi-he
ho-hu-n-ha-n-hu
hu-hu-hi-ho-ha-ho-hi
n-hi-n-he-n-n-ho-n
ja-ja-ji-ja-ju-je-ja
je-je-ju-jo-je-jo-jo
ji-ji-ju-ja-je-ji-je
jo-ju-n-ja-n-ju
ju-ju-ji-jo-ja-jo-ji
n-ji-n-je-n-n-jo-n
ma-ma-mi-ma-mu-me-ma
me-me-mu-mo-me-mo-mo
mi-mi-mu-ma-me-mi-me
mo-mu-n-ma-n-mu
mu-mu-mi-mo-ma-mo-mi
n-mi-n-me-n-n-mo-n
na-na-ni-na-nu-ne-na
ne-ne-nu-no-ne-no-no
ni-ni-nu-na-ne-ni-ne
no-nu-n-na-n-nu
nu-nu-ni-no-na-no-ni
n-ni-n-ne-n-n-no-n
pa-pa-pi-pa-pu-pe-pa
pe-pe-pu-po-pe-po-po
pi-pi-pu-pa-pe-pi-pe
po-pu-n-pa-n-pu
pu-pu-pi-po-pa-po-pi
n-pi-n-pe-n-n-po-n
va-va-vi-va-vu-ve-va
ve-ve-vu-vo-ve-vo-vo
vi-vi-vu-va-ve-vi-ve
vo-vu-n-va-n-vu
vu-vu-vi-vo-va-vo-vi
n-vi-n-ve-n-n-vo-n
ya-ya-yi-ya-yu-ye-ya
ye-ye-yu-yo-ye-yo-yo
yi-yi-yu-ya-ye-yi-ye
yo-yu-n-ya-n-yu
yu-yu-yi-yo-ya-yo-yi
n-yi-n-ye-n-n-yo-n
wa-wa-wi-wa-wu-we-wa
we-we-wu-wo-we-wo-wo
wi-wi-wu-wa-we-wi-we
wo-wu-n-wa-n-wu
wu-wu-wi-wo-wa-wo-wi
n-wi-n-we-n-n-wo-n
tsa-tsa-tsi-tsa-tsu-tse-tsa
tse-tse-tsu-tso-tse-tso-tso
tsi-tsi-tsu-tsa-tse-tsi-tse
tso-tsu-n-tsa-n-tsu
tsu-tsu-tsi-tso-tsa-tso-tsi
n-tsi-n-tse-n-n-tso-n
rra-rra-rri-rra-rru-rre-rra
rre-rre-rru-rro-rre-rro-rro
rri-rri-rru-rra-rre-rri-rre
rro-rru-n-rra-n-rru
rru-rru-rri-rro-rra-rro-rri
n-rri-n-rre-n-n-rro-n
tha-tha-thi-tha-thu-the-tha
the-the-thu-tho-the-tho-tho
thi-thi-thu-tha-the-thi-the
tho-thu-n-tha-n-thu
thu-thu-thi-tho-tha-tho-thi
n-thi-n-the-n-n-tho-n
kya-kya-ki-kya-kyu-kye-kya
kye-kye-kyu-kyo-kye-kyo-kyo
ki-ki-kyu-kya-kye-ki-kye
kyo-kyu-n-kya-n-kyu
kyu-kyu-ki-kyo-kya-kyo-ki
n-ki-n-kye-n-n-kyo-n
tya-tya-ti-tya-tyu-tye-tya
tye-tye-tyu-tyo-tye-tyo-tyo
ti-ti-tyu-tya-tye-ti-tye
tyo-tyu-n-tya-n-tyu
tyu-tyu-ti-tyo-tya-tyo-ti
n-ti-n-tye-n-n-tyo-n
bya-bya-bi-bya-byu-bye-bya
bye-bye-byu-byo-bye-byo-byo
bi-bi-byu-bya-bye-bi-bye
byo-byu-n-bya-n-byu
byu-byu-bi-byo-bya-byo-bi
n-bi-n-bye-n-n-byo-n
dya-dya-di-dya-dyu-dye-dya
dye-dye-dyu-dyo-dye-dyo-dyo
di-di-dyu-dya-dye-di-dye
dyo-dyu-n-dya-n-dyu
dyu-dyu-di-dyo-dya-dyo-di
n-di-n-dye-n-n-dyo-n
rya-rya-ri-rya-ryu-rye-rya
rye-rye-ryu-ryo-rye-ryo-ryo
ri-ri-ryu-rya-rye-ri-rye
ryo-ryu-n-rya-n-ryu
ryu-ryu-ri-ryo-rya-ryo-ri
n-ri-n-rye-n-n-ryo-n
fya-fya-fi-fya-fyu-fye-fya
fye-fye-fyu-fyo-fye-fyo-fyo
fi-fi-fyu-fya-fye-fi-fye
fyo-fyu-n-fya-n-fyu
fyu-fyu-fi-fyo-fya-fyo-fi
n-fi-n-fye-n-n-fyo-n
gya-gya-gi-gya-gyu-gye-gya
gye-gye-gyu-gyo-gye-gyo-gyo
gi-gi-gyu-gya-gye-gi-gye
gyo-gyu-n-gya-n-gyu
gyu-gyu-gi-gyo-gya-gyo-gi
n-gi-n-gye-n-n-gyo-n
hya-hya-hi-hya-hyu-hye-hya
hye-hye-hyu-hyo-hye-hyo-hyo
hi-hi-hyu-hya-hye-hi-hye
hyo-hyu-n-hya-n-hyu
hyu-hyu-hi-hyo-hya-hyo-hi
n-hi-n-hye-n-n-hyo-n
mya-mya-mi-mya-myu-mye-mya
mye-mye-myu-myo-mye-myo-myo
mi-mi-myu-mya-mye-mi-mye
myo-myu-n-mya-n-myu
myu-myu-mi-myo-mya-myo-mi
n-mi-n-mye-n-n-myo-n
nya-nya-ni-nya-nyu-nye-nya
nye-nye-nyu-nyo-nye-nyo-nyo
ni-ni-nyu-nya-nye-ni-nye
nyo-nyu-n-nya-n-nyu
nyu-nyu-ni-nyo-nya-nyo-ni
n-ni-n-nye-n-n-nyo-n
pya-pya-pi-pya-pyu-pye-pya
pye-pye-pyu-pyo-pye-pyo-pyo
pi-pi-pyu-pya-pye-pi-pye
pyo-pyu-n-pya-n-pyu
pyu-pyu-pi-pyo-pya-pyo-pi
n-pi-n-pye-n-n-pyo-n
zya-zya-zi-zya-zyu-zye-zya
zye-zye-zyu-zyo-zye-zyo-zyo
zi-zi-zyu-zya-zye-zi-zye
zyo-zyu-n-zya-n-zyu
zyu-zyu-zi-zyo-zya-zyo-zi
n-zi-n-zye-n-n-zyo-n
sya-sya-si-sya-syu-sye-sya
sye-sye-syu-syo-sye-syo-syo
si-si-syu-sya-sye-si-sye
syo-syu-n-sya-n-syu
syu-syu-si-syo-sya-syo-si
n-si-n-sye-n-n-syo-n
Br1_in
Br2_out

Can anyone tell me if this somehow an "incorrect" or "unusable" reclist? I mean I've already recorded four pitches with it, so i may have majorly wasted my time... Which brings me to my second issue... D: The four pitches I recorded are reeeeeally close together. To be specific, I recorded A#4, D4, E4 and G#4... Will these even make a difference in sound if they're so close together? I literally just read that your supposed to record the different pitches on where the notes begin to lose quality from being too different from the pitch you originally recorded.

So did I just...fail miserably at this...? Lol. I bet I did. ;w; But can someone please confirm this, before I invest anymore time into this voicebank? Everything is finished, it just needs to be OTO-ed... (which I don't know how to do, I might just commission someone or watch a tutorial and still be confused...)

So thank you very much if you read this all. I really appreciate it, and especially if you can help me out. ^u^ Hopefully someone can respond and help me out soon. ;u;

Rakuei

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I dunno. I've been recording mine using Ritsu's oto as a guide. His samples are about 400 each, so just from looking at the reclist, it does look like you're missing some somewhere.

Ritsu also has A3 as a core pitch, D4, G4, and C5. I don't know anything about what pitches are supposed to be what, but since I want a strong sounding bank, I figured I'd just use those pitches.

I'm no expert, but I think pitch just differs from bank to bank. I don't think there's a set pitch you're supposed to use for every one, but then again I'm the wrong person to ask, lol

McCloud

Loner Stoner
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The reclist looks fine to me? It's pretty much the same one I 'm using except in hiragana. I'm no expert in multipitch, but as far as I know multipitch is used to expand the range of an utau, so I guess recording the pitches that close was pointles? Also, this is just my opinion but if I were you I would save the money and learn how to oto it myself, it's really not that hard.

Reactions: GothAmaterasu

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
There are generally 2 reclists that are used widely: 5 mora and 7 mora. There's also a 2 mora reclist, but it's more for those who are new at vcv or can't record long strings. In general: 7 mora is shorter a recording session, but 5 mora is considered more efficient because there's no redundancy.
For one: some strings aren't really necessary for Japanese and would be considered excessive: sy-. zy-, dy-, th-, rr-, l-, ty-, fy. they're okay if you want to Engrish or Koreanese, but they won't be used much (if at all) outside of that. Without a copy of the VB itself, I can't say whether or not you have every necessary transition where editing a ust to replace non-existent sounds isn't needed. I would need to hear a sample where the ust has been fitted and not otherwise edited.

As for your pitches: D4, E4, G#4, A#4... D4 and E4 are right next to each other on the piano and the same can be said for G#4 and A#4, so they won't make a difference. I recommend using D4 and A#4 as they have the most distance, but you should also record a note that's below C4 if you're able to as well as a note at or above C5. You generally want to cover at least 2 octaves for a low and high set, so a note on the 3rd octave, 4th octave, and 5th octave is the best way to go.

mochikoTiger

Momo's Minion
There are generally 2 reclists that are used widely: 5 mora and 7 mora. There's also a 2 mora reclist, but it's more for those who are new at vcv or can't record long strings. In general: 7 mora is shorter a recording session, but 5 mora is considered more efficient because there's no redundancy.
For one: some strings aren't really necessary for Japanese and would be considered excessive: sy-. zy-, dy-, th-, rr-, l-, ty-, fy. they're okay if you want to Engrish or Koreanese, but they won't be used much (if at all) outside of that. Without a copy of the VB itself, I can't say whether or not you have every necessary transition where editing a ust to replace non-existent sounds isn't needed. I would need to hear a sample where the ust has been fitted and not otherwise edited.

As for your pitches: D4, E4, G#4, A#4... D4 and E4 are right next to each other on the piano and the same can be said for G#4 and A#4, so they won't make a difference. I recommend using D4 and A#4 as they have the most distance, but you should also record a note that's below C4 if you're able to as well as a note at or above C5. You generally want to cover at least 2 octaves for a low and high set, so a note on the 3rd octave, 4th octave, and 5th octave is the best way to go.

Ah, thank you so much for pointing all these things out~! I decided to keep going with the reclist I have... And I recorded on C4 (I couldn't get any lower...), E4, A#4, and D5... Do you think that fits? I don't really know how to OTO it, though...and I don't understand how I'm supposed to get all the sounds I need from such a short list, even though I think all of the sounds were covered in the strings some way or another... I'm just really confused... ;(
[DOUBLEPOST=1435629430][/DOUBLEPOST]
I dunno. I've been recording mine using Ritsu's oto as a guide. His samples are about 400 each, so just from looking at the reclist, it does look like you're missing some somewhere.

Ritsu also has A3 as a core pitch, D4, G4, and C5. I don't know anything about what pitches are supposed to be what, but since I want a strong sounding bank, I figured I'd just use those pitches.

I'm no expert, but I think pitch just differs from bank to bank. I don't think there's a set pitch you're supposed to use for every one, but then again I'm the wrong person to ask, lol

Thank you very much for your help... uvu Apparently, it does matter what pitches you use, since what I recorded was right next to each other, thus making some of my pitches kind of unnecessary since I didn't really have a good range at the time... Now we know, hm? :3 I wish I could get down to A3 though... That would've been great. ;w; I'm about a step above all of Ritsu's notes, except for A3 because the lowest I could get was to C4... :sad:
[DOUBLEPOST=1435629529][/DOUBLEPOST]
The reclist looks fine to me? It's pretty much the same one I 'm using except in hiragana. I'm no expert in multipitch, but as far as I know multipitch is used to expand the range of an utau, so I guess recording the pitches that close was pointles? Also, this is just my opinion but if I were you I would save the money and learn how to oto it myself, it's really not that hard.

You were right about it being pointless. And I'm still really intimidated by OTO-ing... Especially VCV. I have no idea what to do, but I also want to customize it myself so that I like how it sounds... D:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you need someone to do your oto for you, I suggest the following people: Adlez, JeremyB796, or bodytemp. They require fees for their services but are well worth the cost and will try their best to make your oto as high quality as can be.